Quantcast

Looking at getting a road bike.

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Since it seems to rain quite often here ( here recently anyway) I havent been able to ride my mnt bike. I am looking at getting a road bike. I just want something that I can ride after it rains and during the winter.

I am looking at a used bike I really dont need anything special. I want something that has 105 level components. I would like to spend about 500 is that reasonable for this kind of bike?

Any suggestions on where I should look for a used bike?
Any body have one for sale?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If you are looking for a rainy day roadbike, why not go the CX bike route?
If you are looking for a used roadbike in the ~500 range you might just want to conisder buying a new full 105 bike, as Trek, cannondale, Giant and other's have full 105 bikes for a grand these days. It seems like that may be a more cost effective option over the long run, and you can get a nice fit from a good dealer that you may not neccessairly be able to get setting yourself up on a used bike.
You sig says you already have 2 other roadbikes...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What's your main priority - the 105 group or $500? Are you looking specifically for something used because you'll have a hard time finding anything new with 105 parts for $500. There are lots of $1000 bikes with full 105 though.

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
The bottecchia was more of a restoration project and the maruishi needs work also. Its not worth putting the money into a late 80s bike to get it to a good rideable condition.

Since I havent been a serious road rider my wife ( i know i hear the whipping sounds coming ) and I both want to limit how much i spend because I am not sure that this will be the answer for me. I would like to be around 500 but can spend up to about 700.

And if i really like it I can invest then in a better bike. Or just build on my current one like i did with my mountain bike.

I acutally though about getting a CX bike because I would be doing some riding at a state park but there is a small dirt walking trail that connects it to the rest of the road network in the park.

I hope not to much of that was rambling.

EpicRide

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
Bay Area
Check out Fuji and KHS.. Both make decent bikes in that price range. Of course, if you go the used route, I'm sure you can find something better..

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
my advice check in pawn shops and what not i pick up a brand new cannondale r600 with full 105 setup and nice wheels, for 500, deffin a rare deal i think but worthe the effort to look... lol and try ebay

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
keep lookin. i got an awsome deal, while not 105 stuff, still good sora and rsx stuff for 60 bucks, so yeah, its possible