Quantcast

looking for a new bike

HiGhUP

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
alright, well i'm in the maket for a new DJ and I'm not to sure of what to get. I would prefer an SS but it doesn't have to be. Also I'm 6'1 so i need a decent sized frame. My budget is around the $900 range. I do a some street riding also, so i hit some drop offs. I was looking into the cannondale chase 2 but it comes with the dirt jumper 3. Any suggestions on what to get.

I was looking along the lines of the chase, p.1, stp, stuff, shred, cowan, etc..

and info will help.

If anyone could also give me the weights of these bikes, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
The chase is a great bike, but doesn't come with horizontal drop outs, so SS would be a pain. The P series is alright, the geo sucks and they are aluminum. in my experiance, stay away from Kona brands.

if your willing to spend more, look into this bike:

IrOn_MaN

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
Wisconsin
what do your local bike shops carry? I road a Jamis Kromo and i really liked it. I ride an stp right now. Eastern makes a bike called the Thunderbird which is about 800 bucks if u want to look at those but you will need to upgrade the brake and possibly the fork but idk? I also tried out a fuji attack series bike and they felt really small but had beautiful components. Se makes the Dj Flyer in which also felt small but was very easily manualed. Just get out there and try a couple

HiGhUP

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
i really can spend anymore than $900. why would SS be a pain if it does not have horizontal dropouts. also what are the frame sizes on the chase?

Thanks for the replies

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
i really can spend anymore than $900. why would SS be a pain if it does not have horizontal dropouts. also what are the frame sizes on the chase?

Thanks for the replies
If a frame does not have horizontal drop outs then you can not adjust the CS length by sliding the wheel back and forth. So you would need a chain tensioner to keep tension on the chain. And to me it just looks crappy and adds unessisary weight. It is possible to not have one but it usualy doesn't work out.

ANd in dj and street, there really isn't and specific frame size, its just what you perfer in the geo. i'm 5'10 and perfer 21-23" TT, you'll def want a short CS as well, the chase has like 16" something, but you really want to stay in the low 15"

HiGhUP

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
If a frame does not have horizontal drop outs then you can not adjust the CS length by sliding the wheel back and forth. So you would need a chain tensioner to keep tension on the chain. And to me it just looks crappy and adds unessisary weight. It is possible to not have one but it usualy doesn't work out.

ANd in dj and street, there really isn't and specific frame size, its just what you perfer in the geo. i'm 5'10 and perfer 21-23" TT, you'll def want a short CS as well, the chase has like 16" something, but you really want to stay in the low 15"
oo i c. ya i definitely want horizontal drop outs then.
The only thing is i called a bunch of bike shops because i want to go look at some of them, but no bike shop keeps DJ in stock. They can just order them for you.

Urban Bandit

Chimp
Aug 20, 2007
Hey man,
I have a BM Mob that is a few years old. Solid bike. Has a ridgid fork right now, but with your budget you could put any fork on the market on it.
PM me if your interested. Great bike, I would reccomend the Mob or Riot.

Black Market has a .357 complete as well.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Don't rule out the chase because it doesn't have horizontal drop outs. The chase 2 has a eccentric (sp?) bottom bracket witch allows you to run it single speed with no problems and is fairly easy to adjust.