Quantcast

Looking for Cosmo recipes

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I am looking to expand my somewhat limited bartending ability so i'd like to know what's the best way to mix up this girl-pleasin' vodka based drink.

Whatcha got?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Here

2 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Triple Sec
1 splash cranberry juice
1 twist of lime OR 6 dried cranberries - for garnish

-Pour all ingredients, except twist, into a shaker filled with ice.
-Cover, shake, and strain into a martini glass.
-Garnish with a twist or cranberries in the bottom of the glass.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
iresmoke1 said:
YES

I'm a grey goose girl.

I like it dirty ;)
I don't care for GG as much as Bel, one night while out with one of my buddys we're at a bar and this discussion came up, we ordered like 5 different vodkas and conducted our own taste test.

You are a dirty girl :evil: :love:

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Ok, I have 5 years bartending experience. Try these
Choc. Martini. *** I never met a girl that could resist these!
3oz. Rasberry Smirnoff
2oz Godiva Choc Liquer
Garnish with a small choclate (like a kiss)
Purple Hooter. 3oz. Vodka
2oz Chmboard.
Garnish with a orange slice
Apple Martini. 3oz Smirnoff Apple vodka
2oz Apple Pucker
Garnish by coating the rim of the glass with sugar.
Cosmo. 3oz vodka
splash of triple sec.
splash of rose's lime juice
2oz cranberry juice.
garnish with a lime wedge.
all of the above should be shaken with ice in a stainless steal mixing glass,
and strained into a Matini glass. Remeber with Most girls presentation is as important as taste, so Make sure to use the right garnishes, and try to use big martini glasses, because they are more festive!

Once they've had a few try this for fun.....
skip and go naked's....
8oz of light beer, like Miller Lite, or Coors light
2oz of Gin.
2oz of Sour mix.
It sounds odd, but they're pretty good.
careful with these though, they're named skip and go nakeds for a reason!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
scurban said:
Choc. Martini. *** I never met a girl that could resist these!
3oz. Rasberry Smirnoff
2oz Godiva Choc Liquer
Garnish with a small choclate (like a kiss)
2oz Chmboard.
2oz Apple Pucker
Cosmo. 3oz vodka
splash of triple sec.
splash of rose's lime juice
2oz cranberry juice.
garnish with a lime wedge.
and strained into a Matini glass. Remeber with Most girls presentation is as important as taste, so Make sure to use the right garnishes, and try to use big martini glasses, because they are more festive!

Once they've had a few try this for fun.....
skip and go naked's....
8oz of light beer, like Miller Lite, or Coors light
2oz of Gin.
2oz of Sour mix.
It sounds odd, but they're pretty good.
careful with these though, they're named skip and go nakeds for a reason!

Mmmm... I'm gonna try these tonite!

Thanks!

:thumb:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
Here

2 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Triple Sec
1 splash cranberry juice
1 twist of lime OR 6 dried cranberries - for garnish

-Pour all ingredients, except twist, into a shaker filled with ice.
-Cover, shake, and strain into a martini glass.
-Garnish with a twist or cranberries in the bottom of the glass.

Whoa! That tastes GREAT! I was having a blast Sat night mixing them up for my guests... I also am working on my Manhattan's too...

Thanks!

:thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
Whoa! That tastes GREAT! I was having a blast Sat night mixing them up for my guests... I also am working on my Manhattan's too...
Yeah, I've been loving the COSMO since I got my bar set up. My recipe is similar to Brian's, difference being that I add 1oz cranberry juice and 1oz lime jucie.

Everything I have read recommends Rose's lime juice for cosmos. It's pretty expensive as lime juice goes ($5/bottle), but it sure makes a good cosmo. :)

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
It's not a cosmopolitan without Cointreau. Yes, I know som people just think of it as a snooty version of triple sec, but it really does have its own unique flavor.

I've been a bartender for years (besides my regular day job) and this is how I do it:

2 parts citron vodka (or regular vodka with a couple sqeezes from lemon wedges)
1 part Cointreau
2 parts cranberry juice
a drop or 2 of vermouth...yes, add it!

Stir, don't shake it. A cosmopolitan should be a clear drink, not cloudy. Pour into chilled martini glass and garnish with a lemon peel curl.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
El Jefe said:
It's not a cosmopolitan without Cointreau. Yes, I know som people just think of it as a snooty version of triple sec, but it really does have its own unique flavor.

I've been a bartender for years (besides my regular day job) and this is how I do it:

2 parts citron vodka (or regular vodka with a couple sqeezes from lemon wedges)
1 part Cointreau
2 parts cranberry juice
a drop or 2 of vermouth...yes, add it!

Stir, don't shake it. A cosmopolitan should be a clear drink, not cloudy. Pour into chilled martini glass and garnish with a lemon peel curl.
I was wondering about the cloudy apprearence when shaken... I will stir from now on.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
El Jefe said:
That Cointreau stuff is expensive. I think it was $24 for a bottle, compared to $11 for a same size bottle of triple sec.

The triple sec-made cosmo tastes pretty good though. Perhaps a bottle of Cointreau is in order once my taste for martinis becomes more refined.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
scurban said:
2oz Chmboard.
2oz Apple Pucker

Try using an un-sugared glass and regular vodka, but adding an oz of butterscotch schnapps to the Apple Pucker, for a caramel apple martini.

On the Purple Hooter, I always add a splash of sweet and sour, and just a tiny bit of lime juice.

Please don't shake the martini.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
I Are Baboon said:
That Cointreau stuff is expensive. I think it was $24 for a bottle, compared to $11 for a same size bottle of triple sec.

The triple sec-made cosmo tastes pretty good though. Perhaps a bottle of Cointreau is in order once my taste for martinis becomes more refined.
If you're at a party, or if you're bartending at a club on a busy night, the triple sec will suffice. If you're trying to impress a girl and make the best drink possible, get the best ingredients. Level vodka is a great one to use because it is so very clean and doesn't impart much of its own flavor into the drink. People who drink cosmos typically don't want to taste the vodka.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
El Jefe said:
Try using an un-sugared glass and regular vodka, but adding an oz of butterscotch schnapps to the Apple Pucker, for a caramel apple martini.

On the Purple Hooter, I always add a splash of sweet and sour, and just a tiny bit of lime juice.

Please don't shake the martini.

What is your recipe for Manhattans? I am using Maker's Mark, Peychaud Bitters, and sweet red vermouth... cherry garnish.

But I am sure there is a better way...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
El Jefe said:
If you're at a party, or if you're bartending at a club on a busy night, the triple sec will suffice. If you're trying to impress a girl and make the best drink possible, get the best ingredients. Level vodka is a great one to use because it is so very clean and doesn't impart much of its own flavor into the drink. People who drink cosmos typically don't want to taste the vodka.
I make the drinks for myself, so I want what tastes good. You've convinced me. Cointreau is on the shopping list. :)

I use regular Absolut in mine.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
I make the drinks for myself, so I want what tastes good. You've convinced me. Cointreau is on the shopping list. :)

I use Skyy for general duty...

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
N8 said:
What is your recipe for Manhattans? I am using Maker's Mark, Peychaud Bitters, and sweet red vermouth... cherry garnish.

But I am sure there is a better way...
Sounds like a great start to me. I love Maker's. As long as you add the right amount of sweet vermouth (1/2 to 3/4 part depending on taste) and to rub an orange peel on the rim of the glass, you've got a winner recipe. My exact recipe is this:

2 parts Maker's Mark (my choice) or drinker's call on bourbon.
Splash of Angostura bitters
1/2 part sweet vermouth

stir gently with minimal ice. Strain over a maraschino cherry in a chilled glass. Rub an orange peel on the rim of the glass and squeeze it gently over the cocktail. Add fresh orange peel garnish, but don't dip it in the drink...just prop it on the rim.

Yum.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
I Are Baboon said:

Absolut is a good solid value, but I personally think Kettle One is the best mid-level vodka value. For higher end vodkas, Vox is insanely good, and of course Belvedere and Grey Goose are excellent; but hands down I choose Level for flavored martinis if given the choice. For regular martinis / dirty martinis, I choose Effen.