Quantcast

Looking for something like a DMR Drone 24 but cheaper

Sep 9, 2009
I finally got to look at some bikes in a half decent shop today.
The DMR Drone 24 fitted me like a glove but was way too expensive.

Anyone know of a similar 24 in the region of £300ish tops?

I just wanna add that the guy in the shop told me that the size 24 bikes are just your standard size frame (like you get with a 26 bike) but with 24 inch wheels. Is this true?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The 2008 GT Ruckus UF 24 is 300 (shipped free UK) from chain reaction.

24s can (and should) have shorter chainstays and shorter top tubes. If you have a top tube that short on a 26, you will knock your foot off the pedal when crossing up.

Sep 9, 2009
24s can (and should) have shorter chainstays and shorter top tubes. If you have a top tube that short on a 26, you will knock your foot off the pedal when crossing up.
I see what you're saying but I think he meant its a 26 frame but with 24 wheels & shorter cranks.

24" maxmax??
Ha ha I know I know I'm a dick right now when it comes to picking a new bike:rolleyes:

Thanx for the pics mate it gave me an idea of size, but it looked tiny next to you mate.

Sep 9, 2009
You seem to have a lot of faith in the shop guy who's pushing whatever his boss told him to get rid of. Good luck.
Nah man I had 2 guys say the same thing to me. 1 in the shop I went to & 1 who I phoned up at another shop. They werent pushy or anything & even told me that a lot of guys are buying 26 stock bikes but at some point down the line they're swapping out the 26 wheels for 24's.
They also told me that if its a 24 but includes the words 'Junior' or 'child' or 'age 9-12 yrs then its a smaller version of a full size bike aimed specifically at kids. There were a few in the shop that were 24 but did look like a kids bike.

I had a look at that GT & it looks nice apart from the colour. I heard that the Ruckus is pretty heavy tho.
I've looked at a Kona Shonky, a few DB's & a Giant STP1 2008 for £250.
Might just have to buy a 26 then buy a set of 24 wheels & sell the 26's.

My search continues!

Out of interest when do bike shops normally start reducing the prices of the previous yrs model, & will this happen soon with the 2009's when the 2010 bikes start arriving?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Dude, yes you frequently can put 24"s on a bike designed for 26"s. . . . but there are definitely MTBMX/DJ/PARK bikes out there that are 24" specific.

Union Street "Molly Maguire," Tonic Fabrications "Fall Guy", Superco "Satellite", NS Suburban 24", Specialized P-Street 24". On those bikes, you CANNOT put 26" wheels on them.

A typical bike shop may not know about these bikes because they are definitely a subset of an already-small niche.

The DMR website is a little vague about the Drone. I had thought it was a 24" specific bike. The website says in 2008 the Drone was available in 26" as well as the 24" wheel model.

http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=products&pageType=category&category=1&categoryName=Bikes

Sep 9, 2009
Dude, yes you frequently can put 24"s on a bike designed for 26"s. . . . but there are definitely MTBMX/DJ/PARK bikes out there that are 24" specific.

Union Street "Molly Maguire," Tonic Fabrications "Fall Guy", Superco "Satellite", NS Suburban 24", Specialized P-Street 24". On those bikes, you CANNOT put 26" wheels on them.

A typical bike shop may not know about these bikes because they are definitely a subset of an already-small niche.

The DMR website is a little vague about the Drone. I had thought it was a 24" specific bike. The website says in 2008 the Drone was available in 26" as well as the 24" wheel model.

http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=products&pageType=category&category=1&categoryName=Bikes
Yeah its all very confusing for me LOL. I've looked at the Kona Shonky 2008 & it looks prettynice tbh. The Giant STP1 2008 looked nice too & its gonna be lighter too as its aluminium, & its £100 less than the Shonky £250.

So when do stores start to drop the prices of the previous yrs model?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Yeah its all very confusing for me LOL. I've looked at the Kona Shonky 2008 & it looks prettynice tbh. The Giant STP1 2008 looked nice too & its gonna be lighter too as its aluminium, & its £100 less than the Shonky £250.

So when do stores start to drop the prices of the previous yrs model?

If you're going for affordability, DK is hard to beat. Good bike for the money.

DK Cygnus 24" bmx cruiser:
£241.99
http://www.cyclesportuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1723&osCsid=8h5ebn82ihc9an3tdq6799bmt4

Big too big for a 20" BMX and want something to shred the trails and park with without laying down too much cash? Have some of the DK Cygnus 24"

Frame:Dk Park/Trail design 4130 100% Chromo Frame
Fork: 100% Cromoly
Handlebars: 2pc Design.
Front Hub: DK Alloy 36H 10mm
Rear Hub: Dk Rear 15T 14mm 36H
Rims: Alloy 36H Black
Brakes: TekTro 924 linear Brake
Tires: Kenda Multi Surface
Pedals:Platform alloy with molded pins
Cranks: Tubular 3pc crank 175mm
Sprocket: DK 33T
Mid Bottom Bracket
Saddle: DK Slim with 7mm rails
Seat Post: Alloy 25.4mm
Grips: Dk Tsuka
Top Tube 21.0inch Chain Stays 15.5inch
Head tube angle 73.5 Degrees
Seat tube Angle 72 Degrees
Colour: Light Tan

Sep 9, 2009
If you're going for affordability, DK is hard to beat. Good bike for the money.

DK Cygnus 24" bmx cruiser:
£241.99
http://www.cyclesportuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1723&osCsid=8h5ebn82ihc9an3tdq6799bmt4

Big too big for a 20" BMX and want something to shred the trails and park with without laying down too much cash? Have some of the DK Cygnus 24"

Frame:Dk Park/Trail design 4130 100% Chromo Frame
Fork: 100% Cromoly
Handlebars: 2pc Design.
Front Hub: DK Alloy 36H 10mm
Rear Hub: Dk Rear 15T 14mm 36H
Rims: Alloy 36H Black
Brakes: TekTro 924 linear Brake
Tires: Kenda Multi Surface
Pedals:Platform alloy with molded pins
Cranks: Tubular 3pc crank 175mm
Sprocket: DK 33T
Mid Bottom Bracket
Saddle: DK Slim with 7mm rails
Seat Post: Alloy 25.4mm
Grips: Dk Tsuka
Top Tube 21.0inch Chain Stays 15.5inch
Head tube angle 73.5 Degrees
Seat tube Angle 72 Degrees
Colour: Light Tan
Heeeeeyyyy that looks really nice mate. I'll do some research on it. Almost bought a DK BMX a few yrs back, so it may be 'the one' ha ha.

BTW what do you guys think of DiamondBack for MTB's? I know theyre BMX's were lame a few yrs ago but seem to be improving & using better parts but not sure if the same guys are designing the MTB side to the same quality.

Sep 9, 2009
Oh for f**ks sake!! I just found these from some pretty amazing prices:

SE Floval 24:
http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m10b190s147p4467

GIANT STP 2:
http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b252s3p5388

WTP Avenue 24:
http://www.cyclelane.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b32s8p1917&rs=gb

The SE Floval I dont know much about their bikes tbh. Frames AL so its lighter. ****ty colour tho :(.
The STP's gonna be light due to the AL frame & I could swap out the wheels for 24's.
The WTP Avenue is the same price as the DK Cygnus suggested, but is it a better bike than the DK?

What do you guys think?

Rolzey

Chimp
Jul 11, 2009
Londiddillydon
^ all those bikes are very different, but good for what they are made for.. the WTP avenue will be the most like a drone, if thats what you want.. and will be "better" than the DK..

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Good prices on them too!!

Oh my god what the hell am I gonna do LOL

The 2008 GT Ruckus UF 24 is 300 (shipped free UK) from chain reaction.
yeah..... the GT Ruckus UF 24" would be the closest to the DMR Drone of all the bikes mentioned. good price too. can swap out to suspension fork later if you want. you cannot swap to suspension fork on bmx 24" (We The People, DK, etc)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41072

Sep 9, 2009
The DMR was nice when I tried it but it was a 24 BMX & weighed a bit, & I was really after a 24 MTB (not a junior model 24 tho).
I think the SE is a race bike (correct me if I'm wrong), the WTP is a BMX 24 so no need to upgrade but is heavy, & the STP 2 is an all rounder & is light but with 26 wheels which would need a bit of tweaking.

Gonna be either the WTP or the STP 2 as both are a fantastic price.

Which is best for mostly street riding & a bit of street trials/jumping tho?

Sep 9, 2009
the dmr drone is not a bmx, its a rigid hardtail dirt jump beast..
Sorry mate. Thought it was a 24 BMX due to the bars & I got mixed up with it being compared to the DK Cygnus which is a 24 BMX. My bad.

So whatcha think?:

Will the WTP Avenue 24 BMX hold up & handle ok for street riding or is it for DJ's?

Or should I go for the super hot price of the lighter STP 2 & switch out the 26 wheels with the added option of keeping the gears for pootling around the nearby countryside or the other option of turning it into a SS?

Rolzey

Chimp
Jul 11, 2009
Londiddillydon
hmm, i think the WTP will hold up fine. But with the STP 2, it will just end up getting expensive if you plan on changing the wheels and changing to SS. and after you've done all that your better off with a drone.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
No get the 2010 FIT CR 24. It is modeled after the sunday model D but with shorter CS and BB is @13.5".

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Or should I go for the super hot price of the lighter STP 2 & switch out the 26 wheels with the added option of keeping the gears
NO!!! the wtp avenue is a lot cooler than the STP2. an STP 1 might be rad, but the STP2 has a janky fork and low end gears. but then again it depends how you want to ride. xc trails and a few jumps = STP 2. dirt jump and skatepark==> WTP avenue 24" for sure.

Sep 9, 2009
NO!!! the wtp avenue is a lot cooler than the STP2. an STP 1 might be rad.
Can I ask how is the WTP cooler?
Also when u say STP 1 is rad are we talking the rigid fork 08 version or the suspension fork 09 version?

Whatcha think of the STP SS 09 version guys as I might be able to get 1 for £350?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Can I ask how is the WTP cooler?
Also when u say STP 1 is rad are we talking the rigid fork 08 version or the suspension fork 09 version?

Whatcha think of the STP SS 09 version guys as I might be able to get 1 for £350?

* 2009 Giant STP SS looks very nice. Marzocchi dirt jumper fork = good.
* I don't recall ever seeing a rigid fork version of the STP.
* I don't do currency exchange rate calculation in my head, so I can't tell you anything about £350....

Sep 9, 2009
* I don't recall ever seeing a rigid fork version of the STP.
QUOTE]

Here ya go matey!:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/EN-GB/bikes/mountain/1408/29680/?collections_id=3

Thats what I wanted:wub:. Unfortunatley there's only 1 left in the UK at the super low price of £250, & its a Large frame not medium for a dwarf of 5 feet 6 like me:doh:.
I must have phoned up about 10 stores in the UK today that claimed to have a medium in stock only to be told their website was out of date or it had just been sold a few hrs ago:cray:.