Quantcast

Looking into getting some new FiveTens..

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hey, I have the older fivetens now. It looks as if they upgraded a bit on the newer ones, and since I have a sale for my old ones, I figure I will upgrade.... I was wondering if the sam hill signatures are worth the extra $20 or should I just go with the originals?

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
hey, I have the older fivetens now, It looks as if they upgraded a bit on the newer ones, and since I have a sale for my old ones, I figure I will upgrade.... I was wondering if the sam hill signatures are worth the extra $20 or should I just go with the originals?
they're the same shoe in different colors. is faux snake skin worth $20 to you?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
haha thanks. the newer ones look more cushier then the older version this correct? and the sam hill had like leather on the inside of the tongue an back of heel

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
yea, anybody got opinions on both that has tried both the newer original fivetens and sam hill signatures?

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
different lacing. the lacing on the Hill shoe is like any other sneaker. a hole in the meat of the shoe without an eyelet. The regular black shoe has a fabric loop. the Hill shoe has different material inside as well. I spent the extra $20 because on the last 2 pair of regular ones i had those fabric loops that the laces go through rip out.

JR. GANGSTA

Chimp
Sep 18, 2008
Durango, Co
i have the new black ones and i love them, i haven't had any trouble with the loops at all and i rode them all season. although i haven't tried the sam hill ones on, so i cant really say the difference.

those new ones look sick in all the different colors.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
No they arn't. The 'normal' black ones has a one piece tongue that wraps around from the inside, the SH model has a normal tongue.

I can't wear the normal black ones, the way the tongue works & how thick it is makes it really uncomfortable on my (apparently) odd shaped feet. But the SH & Marz versions fit fine.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Can't wait until they come out with the Sam Hill signature underpants. If I wear those, maybe I will win more.

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
The Sam Hill one also have a thinner sole so you are closer to the pedals. the tongue is not a wrap around one. the laces are on the outside. and the material on the inside is different.

I asked the FiveTen rep at crankworxs Colorado.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
Doesn't anybody have this problem with the low five tens?
I have them for 3 months now. the left side isn't as bad as the right side.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I used shorts all the time.
First thought it was because of the chain or LG-1 but the wearing recently started on the other side to.

When you compare the Low to the high version you will see that the high version has a stronger top layer.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Not sure if this helps, but Five Ten does offer a re-sole service for a nominal fee.
yeah they will sole non five ten shoes with sticky rubber too,

i plan to modify a set of air force one mids and have them soled in sticky rubber

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
my only complaint about mine 5tens are they stick too well sometimes. i'm jammin away to the ipod during a race run, bust a quick dance move, then i'm stuck in that position until the next smooth section

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I would agree, depending on where I race/ride, sometimes I like the clips and something I like my flats. But it would be really awesome to have a dual purpose shoe.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I would agree, depending on where I race/ride, sometimes I like the clips and something I like my flats. But it would be really awesome to have a dual purpose shoe.
Dont get Oakleys. Mine lasted about 5 days of riding... a couple days at Fernie, Whistler and the shore.

I sure wish they made 5.10s in clipless.