Quantcast

loose front end

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ok, so my __________ keeps coming loose and i cant figure out what it is, i tightened headset and the bars could hardly move, so i loosen it half a turn and its wobbly as fjck. i bring it to bike shop and after a few days of messing with it he says that the headset is fine(chris king) and it is the clamps on the fork that have stretched making it possible for the fork to wobble loose. (fox 40)

nothing has been touched and the bike was sitting for a few weeks before i noticed the problem, is it really possible for the clamps on a fork to stretch or what?

id say its the headset but the mechanic is really good and has not been wrong yet.

*open for ideas*

bike is a demo 9 medium with a black chris king headset on a 2006 fox 40RC2

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I had the same think happen to me. It was my CK headset. I replaced it with a FSA Pig and all was good.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am a bit confused as to what is going on. Can you not find the propper tightness for your headset...either notchy tight or toooo loose?

OR

is your headest continually loosening as you ride??

#1 I would say you are missing your crown race or a bearing is shot (not something a mech should miss....

If #2, it is the king for sure......1970's threaded headset design modded by simply removing the threads and locknut (to avoid the 'aheadset' patent) = fail-bling..........(overpriced LIGHT DUTY jewlery)

Try ANY other threadless headset made...problem will be solved

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I had the same problem with my Chris King headset on my old Demo. The design is inherently flawed to get around patents.

Now I'm on a Cane Creek and haven't had a single issue.

Ditch the CK, get something functional instead.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Its the top ring on the CK. I replaced mine and it fixed it for awhile. I got tired of replacing it all the time so I just swapped in a PIG and had no problems. Im running a Cane Creek on both my new bikes and no problems. Do a search. This has been talked about a lot.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
thanks for the heads up, ima get a new headset within the next few days and ill tell you the result(although i was blaming the CK originally)so i think it will be fine

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wow....another anti-CK thread everyone has turned this into.

ive had ZERO issues with any CK headset ive ever had in the past 12 years.

check to make sure the star nut is still good in there and ive never heard of dual crowns "stretching" before

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
wow....another anti-CK thread everyone has turned this into.

ive had ZERO issues with any CK headset ive ever had in the past 12 years.

check to make sure the star nut is still good in there and ive never heard of dual crowns "stretching" before
Yah I think specialized might be joking when they specifically say that CK headsets are not allowed on their bikes and that it voids warranty, it was probably an april fools joke that just got carried over, I'm sure its fine.

For what its worth, a friend went through exactly the same thing on his enduro, before pulling the headset and discovering that his headtube was ovalized.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yah I think specialized might be joking when they specifically say that CK headsets are not allowed on their bikes and that it voids warranty, it was probably an april fools joke that just got carried over, I'm sure its fine.

For what its worth, a friend went through exactly the same thing on his enduro, before pulling the headset and discovering that his headtube was ovalized.
here we go again........

if they do say that, then they are the only ones that specifically say CK's are not allowed.
and i cant find it on their site saying it does, nor did my LBS
http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/General Warranty.pdf

and if they in fact do void the warranty if you use a CK headset, then your friend is a idiot for putting one on his.
an ovalized headtube doesn't necessarily come from a "bad" headset

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
here we go again........

if they do say that, then they are the only ones that specifically say CK's are not allowed.
and i cant find it on their site saying it does, nor did my LBS

and if they in fact do void the warranty if you use a CK headset, then your friend is a idiot for putting one on his.
an ovalized headtube doesn't necessarily come from a "bad" headset
Personal insults to him aside, he had no idea that specialized didn't want them in there until he talked to warranty. They told them it voided his warranty there. He worked at a specialized shop at the time and he eventually was able to sort it out and get a new frame. He's installed probably 100+ headsets after several years at a shop, and lets be honest, as long as the frame is faced its not like its that difficult to install a headset. At any rate, thats the unofficial story I've always heard coming from specialized shops, as well as my friend who's an inside rep there. I can call him up and ask him what the official policy is, but its not like my local spec shop and him are the only ones I've heard it from.

Will

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if its not in print, on their "official" warranty sheet that comes with every bike, then it wont stand if they deny your warranty...especially if something goes wrong.

and saying something is "unofficial" can get them into trouble if they deny your warranty and it states nothing about not using CK headsets.

talk to your friend, he'll say that same thing....then talk to a lawyer who will say the same thing

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
see i just dont get why it would crap out now of all times, its been in there for almost 3 years now, you'd think that it would have happened earlier.

FSA it is