Quantcast

Los Angeles bans business and travel with arizona

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...immigrati.html

The Los Angeles City Council, protesting Arizona’s crackdown on illegal immigration, on Wednesday voted to ban most city travel to Arizona and future contracts with companies in that state.

During a morning-long debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona’s action to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese Americans during World War II. A new Arizona law, which will take effect July 23, requires police to check the immigration papers of people they suspect lack legal status, which critics say will lead to racial profiling.

“Los Angeles the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard,’’ said Councilman Ed Reyes, one of the resolution’s sponsors. “As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who’s having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be … deported, no questions asked. That is not American.’’

The action was approved 13-1, with Councilman Greig Smith casting the sole dissenting vote.
The council’s action fell short of a total boycott or canceling all of the city’s $58 million worth of contracts with Arizona companies. Officials with the Port of Los Angeles and Los Angeles International Airport expressed concern about potential effects on those agencies. The council asked boards overseeing the port, airport and city utilities to review all contracts with ties to Arizona, however.

LAX receives $22 million in revenue from two Arizona-based airlines -- US Airways and Mesa Air. The port relies on three Arizona firms for new, low-emission big rigs, part of the city’s “clean truck’’ program that is expected to reduce truck-related pollution at the port by 80% by 2012.
-- Phil Willon

thoughts??

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Finally someone has the balls ino ur country to take a stand against illegal immigration, and LA is going to say .... NOOOOO, Its unAmerican to as for proof your allowed to be here.......

Good god even Councilman Ed <head up my ass> Reyes is blowing this out of proportion.

I love it, instead of backing Arizona actualyl taking a stand to try and save the american dollars that are in their state, these councilmen would rather cut off all these contracts to cause even more loss of jobs

****in idiots.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Northern Mexico takes a stand for their people.

Sorry, I just had to get that crack in.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Finally someone has the balls ino ur country to take a stand against illegal immigration, and LA is going to say .... NOOOOO, Its unAmerican to as for proof your allowed to be here.......

Good god even Councilman Ed <head up my ass> Reyes is blowing this out of proportion.

I love it, instead of backing Arizona actualyl taking a stand to try and save the american dollars that are in their state, these councilmen would rather cut off all these contracts to cause even more loss of jobs

****in idiots.
agreed.

I support Arizona's stand against illegal immigration. I support immigration through legal channels. This country may be headed into civil war.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

****in idiots.
it's not that people are mad that arizona has stepped up to deal with illegal immigration, it's their poor execution that has people upset

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
it's not that people are mad that arizona has stepped up to deal with illegal immigration, it's their poor execution that has people upset
so you think there's a way to not poorly execute law enforcement that still addresses the current poor enforcement of the law?

not trolling, it's my belief this is the intersection of the min/max of at least 2 important functions.

and w[ho]tf names their kid Greig? someone who watched peter & the wolf too many times?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
and now: H.S. basketball team's Arizona trip axed
HIGHLAND PARK, Ill., May 12 (UPI) -- An Illinois high school girls basketball team's trip to an Arizona tournament has been canceled because of Arizona's new immigration law, officials say.

The Highland Park High School Giants had planned to play in the tournament in December and had been holding bake sales to raise money for the trip, the Chicago Tribune reported. But after deciding to call off the Arizona trip, officials in District 113 are now searching for a tournament in another state.

Assistant Superintendent Suzan Hebson said the decision was based partly on safety and partly on principle. She said no one knows yet how Arizona will enforce its law, which requires police to check the papers of anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant.

But she also said traveling to Arizona "would not be aligned with our beliefs and values."

Since Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the law, there have been calls for a boycott of the state, some of them coming from opponents of the law inside Arizona. Picketing recently greeted the Arizona Diamondbacks when they played in Chicago.

Parents of the girls on the Highland Park basketball team
, however, said they do not think the decision should be a political one.

"I disagree personally with the Arizona legislation, but I also feel strongly about young women's rights," Cynde Munzer said. "They don't want to get involved in politics."
and not to be forgotten, a former high school basketball star herself chimed in: "[Sarah] Palin, when asked about the situation, said the girls should "go rogue."

perhaps she should boil a cup of stfu over some burning whale blubber

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
nertz - all that haunting hall of the mountain king/die fledermaus schyte sounds the same to me

wanna see a grown man cry? play shostakovitch followed by prokofiev.

damn we're white

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so you think there's a way to not poorly execute law enforcement that still addresses the current poor enforcement of the law?

not trolling, it's my belief this is the intersection of the min/max of at least 2 important functions.

and w[ho]tf names their kid Greig? someone who watched peter & the wolf too many times?
The reason why illegals come to Arizona is because businesses are hiring them. There are two groups of people breaking the law here, some on multiple counts, and they are only 'enforcing' one side of the equation.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
here in CO, there are regular ICE busts at various businesses (incl one a mile from here that makes medical equip), resulting in bad press & heavy fines to proprietors. i have to imagine this enforcement also goes on in AZ, esp w/ arpaio @ the helm: Arpaio's deputies arrest 24 at Phoenix business in ID-theft case

of particular note is this: "The last 31 investigations resulted in the arrest of 362 illegal immigrants, the Sheriff's Office said. Of those, 231 were suspected of identity theft." don't know about you, but i put ID thieves just below spammers & above chomos

if there were no significant element of ID theft, drug smuggling, gangs, and gen'l quality of life, this wouldn't be an issue, and i bet we'd tolerate - hell, welcome - tens of millions more. i find it rather odd the lopsided ratio of stories from citizens w/o a vested interest at ground zero who prefer illegal immigration to those who don't. not that popularity is absolutely logical, but does give a glimpse

ramble much?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
here in CO, there are regular ICE busts at various businesses (incl one a mile from here that makes medical equip), resulting in bad press & heavy fines to proprietors. i have to imagine this enforcement also goes on in AZ, esp w/ arpaio @ the helm: Arpaio's deputies arrest 24 at Phoenix business in ID-theft case

of particular note is this: "The last 31 investigations resulted in the arrest of 362 illegal immigrants, the Sheriff's Office said. Of those, 231 were suspected of identity theft." don't know about you, but i put ID thieves just below spammers & above chomos

if there were no significant element of ID theft, drug smuggling, gangs, and gen'l quality of life, this wouldn't be an issue, and i bet we'd tolerate - hell, welcome - tens of millions more. i find it rather odd the lopsided ratio of stories from citizens w/o a vested interest at ground zero who prefer illegal immigration to those who don't. not that popularity is absolutely logical, but does give a glimpse

ramble much?
That article notes no arrests or fines to the employers. I'll pretty much guarantee a new round of illegals were hired the next day. Illegals are usually in fairly desperate situations and little to lose. Arrest and deport them and more will come. It is a game that has been played fore decades. Do you think arresting and deporting more will help? The business owners who hire illegals have a lot to lose, improve enforcement on that end and it will have a much greater affect on hiring illegals. Get rid of the demand and the illegal problem will most likely go away.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
That article notes no arrests or fines to the employers. I'll pretty much guarantee a new round of illegals were hired the next day. Illegals are usually in fairly desperate situations and little to lose. Arrest and deport them and more will come. It is a game that has been played fore decades. Do you think arresting and deporting more will help? The business owners who hire illegals have a lot to lose, improve enforcement on that end and it will have a much greater affect on hiring illegals. Get rid of the demand and the illegal problem will most likely go away.
arresting/deportation, while making for good [fox]news, is mathematically intractable & unsustainable. i believe it should be a distant 2nd to coming down like the hand of god on those who enable illegal immigration. now as usual, i don't have the data available, but if the work dried up for anything less than properly documented, i believe the other concerns would abate to the levels of areas not "infested" w/ illegals.

of course, this enaction would complicate quite a few american traditions like having the neighborhood kid cut your grass, or having the ability on short notice or for short term to hire a temporary workforce w/ a specific skillset (agri, et. al.)

just another opportunity for the guests of the DOC, eh? gotta be labor ready when set free. i'm actually serious about this point.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT

:thumb:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.