Quantcast

Lyrik Mico upgrade to Mico DH is causing problems

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
hi guys

i just upgraded my uturn lyrik from the normal mission control to mission control DH.
i know a parkinglot ride on the fork wont tell you a thing, but i couldnt feel ANY difference between full compression either slow or high speed - and that... was :think: strange ...

anyone know if RS changed the oil weight or volume? coulnt find any 2010 manuals yet

thanks in advance :)

/edit:

okay i just checked the RS website again and it seems like there is a new manual online that suggests 193 ml oil instead of 112 from before - even for the normal mission control... I'm a bit confused but i guess that could work?! just cant check it right now

Last edited:

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
hi guys

so i did try adding oil today - didnt work - i mean sure i felt the compression when the fork was FULL with oil - so it didnt move anymore at all :D

so my next try was to just take out the spring and fill in just enough oil so the fork would use 100% travel - u should guess that would be the perfect oil level - right?
well it didnt do anything either after i turned the compression knobs either way ..

so i'm stuck here i cant think of anything else and i'm really wondering whats wrong...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I will watch this thread closely. My mico cart in my lyrik uturn has the same response. Lsc has no effect what so ever.

bcblur

Chimp
Sep 12, 2009
San Diego
This is interesting, I have a MiCo DH cart in the mail, arriving next week. I'll let you know how mine goes.

Any trail time on it?

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
no trailtime yet - but pretty sure there wont be any compression....

tomorrow or sunday i'll get to take her out for a ride

maybe its just broke already :think:

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
alright so it isnt my fault! :)

well my dealer told me to send it in as a whole! - i think i might just go back to the normal mico....?!?!?

bcblur

Chimp
Sep 12, 2009
San Diego
I'm going to take mine out for a ride tonight. The ride will be pretty chill, but I can play with the settings and see what I get.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
yeah well let me know what happened.... mine sacked away under breaking horribly and without the rebound control which still has a little effect it wouldnt have been rideable (on faster terrain) ....

my LBS thinks it might be the old rebound version...

bcblur

Chimp
Sep 12, 2009
San Diego
Speculation on MTBR lines up with what your LBS is saying:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6369856

It looks like the rebound shaft diameter might have changed between '08 and '09 (I'm running an '08). The new version displaces more oil; with the old version, you won't get enough flow through the compression assembly, resulting in very little damping.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
yeah i just read that too and wanted to post it up...

that would explain the higher oil volume! - i wonder if you could just get the rebound shaft installed in the older casting - anyone an idea?

bcblur

Chimp
Sep 12, 2009
San Diego
I'm working with Eric at CompetitiveCyclist to get some answers. I'll keep you posted, but the new rebound assembly should work in any of the Lyrik versions; it's shown as compatible with all Lyrik models in the parts catalog.

liqwid

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Denver, CO
Looks like the new rebound shaft is compatible with all model years. If I'm reading the part list diagrams correctly it looks like you would just have to pull the old rebound shaft and the damper tube assembly but only replace the new rebound shaft, leave the damper tube assembly out.

bcblur

Chimp
Sep 12, 2009
San Diego
Looks like the new rebound shaft is compatible with all model years. If I'm reading the part list diagrams correctly it looks like you would just have to pull the old rebound shaft and the damper tube assembly but only replace the new rebound shaft, leave the damper tube assembly out.
I believe you are correct, based on looking at the charts and the discussion on MTBR.

amrgb

Chimp
Jan 28, 2009
Hi guys.

I'm gonna leave a few pointers, many of them I already posted at MTBR.

First, the revised parts are new for 2010.

Second, the new parts fit on any Lyrik. I can confirm this since I have them running on a 09 Lyrik.

Third, you have to pair the compression with the respective rebound assembly (old version with old version, and new with new), since the new rebound shaft has a larger diameter and displaces more oil.

The new compression damper with the old rebound assembly will result in too little compression damping.

The new rebound assembly with the old compression damper will result in too much compression damping.

In both cases, the rebound damping is about right (the rebound piston is shimmed correctly for the oil volume displaced by the rebound shaft).

Fourth, the new rebound assembly does away with the rebound damper tube.

Fifth, the oil volumes depend only on the rebound assembly used, and not on the compression damper. With the old rebound assembly you should use 112cc (regardless of the compression damper used). With the new rebound assembly you should use 187cc of oil. This was what SRAM recommended me when sent me the new parts. Because the fork is set at 160mm and not 170mm as the 2010 models, it doesn't need the full 193cc of oil. However, I'm pretty much sure it can take the full 193cc of oil even at 160mm. Just check if you can achieve full travel and that's it.

Using the 112cc with the new rebound assembly will essentially mean no damping at all, and using the 193cc with the old rebound assembly will mean hydrolock.

I hope this answers all questions.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
However, I'm pretty much sure it can take the full 193cc of oil even at 160mm. Just check if you can achieve full travel and that's it.
hey man thanks for the write up - read all of it on MTBR already

well as for 193cc @ 160 mm - i dont think that is right - i mean i cant tell you for sure but when i messed around with the oil 1-2 cc made a huge difference in usable travel so i suggest trying it out or just going with the lower number in this case! - otherwise when riding like this for a long time i think it might blow the seals!

thanks again for all the info