Quantcast

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
If I can reserve a site @ Sully Creek everyone is welcome to throw down on Thursday/Friday when you arrive, as I'm solo...

Apparently you have to contact the park directly, no online reservations so I have left 2 VMs here:

1465 36th St
Medora ND, 58645
Phone: 701.623.2024

I also tried the 800 # for global reservations and they confirmed you have to talk to someone onsite to book, but reassured me that I'd get a call back... eventually...

If everyone is down to camp @ Sully, we'd need two sites Friday as I think it's 6 max per site/one 'camping unit'

It's only $16/site so I will grab 2 sites on Friday if I get through...

I'm shooting for Cedar or Whitetail Flats -- campground pdf attached

Attachments

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
If I can reserve a site @ Sully Creek everyone is welcome to throw down on Thursday/Friday when you arrive, as I'm solo...

Apparently you have to contact the park directly, no online reservations so I have left 2 VMs here:

1465 36th St
Medora ND, 58645
Phone: 701.623.2024

I also tried the 800 # for global reservations and they confirmed you have to talk to someone onsite to book, but reassured me that I'd get a call back... eventually...

If everyone is down to camp @ Sully, we'd need two sites Friday as I think it's 6 max per site/one 'camping unit'

It's only $16/site so I will grab 2 sites on Friday if I get through...

I'm shooting for Cedar or Whitetail Flats -- campground pdf attached
Works for me. :thumb:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Sully Creek UPDATE -- campsites are reserved and paid (Reservation No: SHI02678)

I booked Cedar campsite 63 (for myself) for 2 nights: Thursday and Friday.

I also booked Cedar 62 (for the MONKEY masses) for Friday AND Monday nights.

:banana::cheers::monkeydance::rockout:

The host said 62 was the best group site (open field) and should easily hold 6 tents.

63 is "smaller" but we can to squeeze another tent or two in if anyone else is arriving on Thursday -- no worries, I'm happy to share.

Depending on when we get out of the woods, I may hit the road on Monday -- as it's back to school week for my 10 and 5 yo's.

ONE NOTE: the host indicated that there are "upcharges" associated with a group of our size.

I think there is a "daily vehicle permit" of $5 per car/ per day to enter the park (Must pick up at park office/entrance station according to my email confirmation.)

There will also be additional fees for each extra tent.

I wasn't sure how many shared tents/cars there would be and couldn't follow his pricing structure but something like $12 per additional car/tent.

So in the end it would've been almost the same amount to rent the the WHOLE campground as it was for us to fill up 62/63

I told the host that you all would settle up re: additional fees when you arrive, but ONE tent should be free as part of our reservation for 62.

I didn't pre-pay ANY car fees for 62 (just mine for 63...)

I'm planning to call bike shop tomorrow to get my name on the list.

I think we're @ 8 so $172 and possibly $163 if JohnE joins or Full Trucker can pull in a 9th victim...

I'm still hoping to arrive Thursday late-afternoon

MDH Stoke (trigger warning: religiousity)

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sully Creek UPDATE -- campsites are reserved and paid (Reservation No: SHI02678)
Dude. YBTFM. Thank you. I'll be arriving Thursday most likely, glad to hear the spot can accommodate another. Or, with the upcharges, should I just reserve a spot do you think? From your posts it looks like $16/site to book or $12/car-tent to add on?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Dude. YBTFM. Thank you. I'll be arriving Thursday most likely, glad to hear the spot can accommodate another. Or, with the upcharges, should I just reserve a spot do you think? From your posts it looks like $16/site to book or $12/car-tent to add on?
I looked at my scribbled notes again, and it may have been +$12 if 3 tents, +$24 if 4 tents etc

He also seemed to suggest he would "work with us" at some point of occupancy... and I threw out 6 tents as a guesstimate.

If there was a 3rd tent arriving on Thursday it might make sense to grab our group site *62* for that night and they wouldn't need to move.

It did take me 1.5 days, 2 VMs and 6 calls where I just hung up before I got a call back (which went to my VM) but host said Fridays are (understandably) busy days... lots of availability now, but he said weekends are usually booked up.

One thing I forgot to inquire about was the camper/trailer crew as I just noticed Cedar is listed as "low-profile tow behinds"

62 is pull through parking so that may warrant a clarification call or email (scsp@nd.gov 701.623.2024)

If need be, I'm happy to pay $2.50 to move our reservation, Whitetail Flats is all open as of now too...

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Sully Creek Host replied to email re: fees and trailers...

It is $5 per vehicle per day. You have two sites 62 and 63 both will fit a small camper as for the tents if you are having 8 tents total it will be an extra $36/night for camping If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Shake down ride achieved. Loaded bike up as if I were leaving tomorrow. Food, clothes, bivy, teh works, then rode 20 miles mix of highway and country, mostly straight but some corners. Went well except for tank panniers, they need some serious relocation thought. Totally blocked my knees, made shifting and rear brake cumbersome and forced me way back on the saddle causing tail bone issues just over the short ride I did. Need to sort that out but I'll be good to go after that I do believe. I am le excited. :weee:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shake down ride achieved. Loaded bike up as if I were leaving tomorrow. Food, clothes, bivy, teh works, then rode 20 miles mix of highway and country, mostly straight but some corners. Went well except for tank panniers, they need some serious relocation thought. Totally blocked my knees, made shifting and rear brake cumbersome and forced me way back on the saddle causing tail bone issues just over the short ride I did. Need to sort that out but I'll be good to go after that I do believe. I am le excited. :weee:

use some rivets

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Super cool, man. Right on.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
EDIT: 97 miles miles is most likely too much for me in 3 days since I typically only ride 40 or 50 in a week. It would be fun to drive out and meet some monkies and knock around the trails myself.

also @fulltrucker if I read it right, 3 days on an SB6... knar.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My plan is to be in Medora the 25th through the 28th, I will be staying at a motel. I called the cycle shop today but she is out moving trailers and shuttling so I will call be back later. If I do not meet up with any monkeys I plan to hire a guide to show me trails in the area Friday and then ride an out and back Saturday and Sunday. The lady I spoke with felt she had an opening but did not want to commit without seeing her calendar.

I may do the daily shuttles instead, depends on my mood and availability.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My plan is to be in Medora the 25th through the 28th, I will be staying at a motel. I called the cycle shop today but she is out moving trailers and shuttling so I will call be back later. If I do not meet up with any monkeys I plan to hire a guide to show me trails in the area Friday and then ride an out and back Saturday and Sunday. The lady I spoke with felt she had an opening but did not want to commit without seeing her calendar.

I may do the daily shuttles instead, depends on my mood and availability.
:rockout:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Its a done deal - I will be staying in Dickinson for $25.49 a night at a motel 6, its 30 miles out of Medora and anywhere from 75 to 175 dollars cheaper per night. I'm going to try and get a guide for Friday morning and do out and backs Saturday & Sunday. Check out and return home on Monday. I believe I will take the hardtail as nothing I have read about call for a full squish.

Oh, and meet some monkies too. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You'll be fine. Ride pace with me and we can make it!
After this week's riding I am beginning to think I could... 30+ miles a day I could do on a hard tail with a double but my ass cant take it. The GT has a triple... under no scenario could I pedal the Yeti for 3 days. I'll need to get some sunscreen.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Halp!

Just ordered shipping by bikeflights.com. Isht is getting serious. :panic:

@SerialMidget - you will be fine. 30 miles/day is not that much and there are no major hills there, or are they. :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
After this week's riding I am beginning to think I could... 30+ miles a day I could do on a hard tail with a double but my ass cant take it. The GT has a triple... under no scenario could I pedal the Yeti for 3 days. I'll need to get some sunscreen.
I'll bring the sunscreen & butt butter (aka desitin) You will be fine!

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
also @fulltrucker if I read it right, 3 days on an SB6... knar.
Yeah, all 3 days on the SB6c. I pedaled the Kokopelli Trail in 3 days on an SB-66c and that was fine, and I like this bike way better for long rides. You should just join us for the whole trip, gonna be awesome.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yeah, all 3 days on the SB6c. I pedaled the Kokopelli Trail in 3 days on an SB-66c and that was fine, and I like this bike way better for long rides. You should just join us for the whole trip, gonna be awesome.
I believe I will. Now I need to get a new tent, my old Topeak bike tent has seen better days, also need a new sleeping bag and inflatable pillow... I've given away or thrown away all my old gear.

I am open to suggestions on required supplies, in the past I've only brought oats, dried fruit and raw nuts.