Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Don't people just take the extra links from the new chain and stash them straight in the pack? :confused:
I have a little pouch that holds my chain tool, a few master links and 4-5 links worth of chain from when I first shortened it, and a bent spoke I use to hook the two ends so I can repair my chain with both hands.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Pulled out the camping gear last night....packed a stove (lighter and propane), dutch oven, cast iron fry pans, a few utensils, mess kits, tent, thermarests, sleeping bags, pillows, headlamps, camp sink (soap, towel, sponge), rope for clothesline and chairs.

Quick run to the beer store was a success so we will have some delicious local and east coast brews to sample and some local bourbon.

Next up, pack bike gear and see what's in my camelbak.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
New (more betterer) rain jacket and pack cover will be here Wednesday. Need to make a shopping list and get that together, though it sounds like most (all) food shopping is being taken care of by Teresa/Earl on the way in? So I'll do like Midge and be prepared to chuck $$$$ at someone please and thank you. I'll also bring some stuff since I'm camping before and after. Mostly I need to procure beers to share, which should be easy as post-riding is my specialty.
What east coast beers would you like us to bring? @johnbryanpeters -- can you make a delicious alchemist run for a variety?
What Colorado beers can I bring? Thinking a mix of Great Divide, Ska, and Odell's at the moment. Maybe some Bootstrap Insane Rush IPA. I also tend to drink the ever living crap out of IPAs, but will do my best to branch out and mix it up. Ooh... maybe some Elevation Apis IV Quad? Dang...

A mixed case is on ice at this time.
I trust your judgement but resubmit my request for any of the following: Heady Topper, Hillfarmstead, or Fiddlehead.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'll try to smuggle some Trillum IPA on the plane if I can squeeze everything into the weight and space limits. I am also planning to visit the Bismarck brewery on my way to Medora if their isht is any good. As for food, I was planning to buy supplies on my way as well - perhaps same canned ham, beans, sausages?

Shall we meet at the bike shop on Friday late afternoon/early evening before we depart for the camp? I need to get there and unpack / assemble my bike anyway.

I'll try to smuggle some Trillum IPA on the plane if I can squeeze everything into the weight and space limits. I am also planning to visit the Bismarck brewery on my way to Medora if their isht is any good. As for food, I was planning to buy supplies on my way as well - perhaps same canned ham, beans, sausages?

Shall we meet at the bike shop on Friday late afternoon/early evening before we depart for the camp? I need to get there and unpack / assemble my bike anyway.
Theresa, Earl, and I hope to arrive Thursday, leaving Friday for planning, getting supplies together, and kicking back.

For all of yez, my mobile phone number is eight oh two three four three six six six three.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Theresa, Earl, and I hope to arrive Thursday, leaving Friday for planning, getting supplies together, and kicking back.

For all of yez, my mobile phone number is eight oh two three four three six six six three.
I am planning to get in early (4ish?) on Thursday as well. Feel free to set up on Thursday if you beat me to the campground.

We have Cedar 63 for Thurs/Friday and Cedar 62 (the big site) for Friday and Monday -- Sully Creek State Park campground pdf attached.

If get in early enough I may try to stretch my legs for a short ride on Thursday.

MDH "ends" at Sully Creek, and I think the continuation trail to points further south starts there as well.

My cell/text: four oh six, two oh nine, fifteen sixty four

Attachments

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Might want to be careful with that. I did that once with some Utah beers, way back when that term was still considered something of an oxymoron. What I got home was a suitcase full of glass, and undies that smelled like beer.

Teh Google says 5 hours from Rushmore to Medora, so I imagine I'll be in town no later than noon on friday. Ill actually try to be earlier than that but I promise nothing. Id really rather not get taken out by roadside deer in the wee hours. My plan is to just roll into the campsite, hook up with you all, then figure out the rest.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am planning to get in early (4ish?) on Thursday as well. Feel free to set up on Thursday if you beat me to the campground.

We have Cedar 63 for Thurs/Friday and Cedar 62 (the big site) for Friday and Monday -- Sully Creek State Park campground pdf attached.

If get in early enough I may try to stretch my legs for a short ride on Thursday.

MDH "ends" at Sully Creek, and I think the continuation trail to points further south starts there as well.

My cell/text: four oh six, two oh nine, fifteen sixty four
You da man! Do we have a car limit for the big site on Fri and Mon? Shall we carpool and leave some of the cars at the bike shop?

Might want to be careful with that. I did that once with some Utah beers, way back when that term was still concidered something of an oxymoron. What I got home was a suitcase full of glass and undies that smelled like beer.
Yeah, that happened to me once with a bottle of Vermuth and a trip back from Europe. More than undies took a hit then. This time, I'd bring a few cans, Trillium does not sell beer bottles, just 16oz cans or growlers.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
You da man! Do we have a car limit for the big site on Fri and Mon? Shall we carpool and leave some of the cars at the bike shop?
Hmn, if we can squeeze in I don't think there's a parking limit per se -- just a $5 fee for driving into the State Park from what I understand.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Personally, I'd really rather prefer to leave my scooter at the bike shop while we're gone, if I can.
I think SkiHacka was talking about while we were camping.

Unless we can find a spot to stash a car @ Sully, we'll all be leaving our rigs at the bike shop b/c we won't have either campsite over the weekend.

In any case, I'm sure one of us with a 4-wheels would be happy to ferry you and your gear to bike shop and back.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Do they sell hard tack. pemmican and jerked vulture?
Silly rabbit, it's BYO pemmican...

Phase two of packing complete (1 lb "local" bison jerky and 5 lbs gummy bears)

TreeSaw helped put together a master shopping list re: meals and I'm doing a big Costco run tomorrow for fresh fruit, veggies, meat fish...

We can confab about food on Friday, but we're tentatively planning grilled meats potluck Friday, one night Mexican, one night Italian, and finish our food on Monday...

Assuming all goes well tomorrow we should have most of the food needs taken care of. But feel free to bring any favorite comfort camping food to add to the mix.

IMG_20160823_123136.jpg

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My bike is apparently on a joy ride. Fedex reported its location as Tower City, ND on Saturday, the latest update from this morning placed it in Billings, MT; plus its delivery is now delayed. This is going to be interesting.
:popcorn:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've notified Jen that I may need a rental. I've shipped through bikeflights.com and they have not been very useful so far despite me asking them for help.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I wouldn't worry yet.It's not even 4 hours from billings to Medora. Billings is probably a distribution point for FedEx or something. It'll be fine.
We'll see. I am a bit worried because 1) it took Fedex more than 2 days to move the bike from Tower City to Billings yet less than 2 days from MA to ND, 2) it has been sitting in Billings for the whole day without being moved or scanned, 3) bikeflights,com were not able to get any explanation from FedEx WTF is going on, yet.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
That company is goofy. Tower City is a town of just a few hundred people on the other side of the state. Not sure why they picked that as an in transit place. So I googled Clyde, OH and that is a small city not really close to anywhere. I think the fact that it is in Billings is a good thing. They might actually know what to do with it there.

P.s. Enjoy the trip all. I will live vicariously through this thread at all the fun being had. Post pics!!