Quantcast

Macbook Pro: what should I know?

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I'm getting a new macbook pro in the next month or two for school.:pirate2: It'll be the 15 inch 2.33ghz core 2 duo, with 2gb of ram, 120gb hd(of course I'll get an external too). I'll be running both osx and windows, and doing mostly design/photo work. I've worked mostly on pc's throughout my life, so this will be a little different for me.

Is there anything I need to know, or any tips or knowledge that yall have that will help me out with using it in general?

Thanks a lot

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
:think:

New goodness from Apple.

Why do you need to go back and forth between Windows and OSX? Web work?

Should just be some time to adjust to new key commands, but for font management, I have used everything that ever came out and I have still revert to good ol' Suitcase.

There are several competent Mac users here that can help you along the way.

:cheers:

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I'm not sure if it'll switch back and forth, I'm buying it from school and they are going to give me windows 2004 professional. Is that the os, or what? I'm confused

I should order it before the week is out, I'm amped.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Sweet, thanks guys. It's ordered so I should have my new toy by the end of the month.:happydance:
Maybe you will get an upgrade to Leopard when actually receive the computer. I know they did that on my old iBook. When I took delivery, Panther was installed, but they gave me a cd with Tiger on it. Usually what happens when you are on the "edge" between two OS's.

Anyway, enjoy you're new rig, sweet computer!

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
That would be awesome, I ordered it the other day. So it should be here a little before the end of the month, I'm so stoked.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I'm not sure if it'll switch back and forth, I'm buying it from school and they are going to give me windows 2004 professional. Is that the os, or what? I'm confused

I should order it before the week is out, I'm amped.
I think here they might be referring to Office 2004 Pro, which was the last office release for Mac. There is no such thing as Windows 2004. Office 2008 for mac comes out towards the end of this year.

Make sure you have at least 2GB of ram.

I installed bootcamp, thinking I would use Vista here and there, however I rarely boot into Vista. It seems to really tax the CPU and GPU, to where the fan is ALWAYS running. Its kind of annoying.

Besides, OSX has so much more to offer.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Ok, I have a simple question; if I hook up a typical mouse, with the two buttons and a scroll key up to a mac will the right click work, or will I still have to hit ctrl+left click?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Ok, I have a simple question; if I hook up a typical mouse, with the two buttons and a scroll key up to a mac will the right click work, or will I still have to hit ctrl+left click?
Yes, the right click will work as if you were working on a Windows platform. I have a good old Logitech mouse (2 buttons with the typical scroll wheel)that has now survived more than 2 Macs !

snotty

Chimp
Jun 25, 2007
Yep your mouse will work fine. Even Apple's mighty mouse is a multi-button gizmo these days!