Quantcast

macfee or norton antivirus?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
my computer came with mcafee virus protection but it has run out. i have a copy of norton i can run and update for free. should i pay for mcafee or just use my norton? iam also running spybot S&D.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
biggins said:
my computer came with mcafee virus protection but it has run out. i have a copy of norton i can run and update for free. should i pay for mcafee or just use my norton? iam also running spybot S&D.

AVG. its free.
norton is very intrusive and heavy.
if you want to be really safe, install zonealarm firewall. it takes a bit of time and 1337 skillz to configure, but its great once you get it to work.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
When it is time for me to upgrade, I just choose whichever is cheapest. But they both do a decent job of protection, although they can be a bit invasive and resource hogs.

If you are a comcast subscriber you get Mcafee for free though.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
ALEXIS_DH said:
AVG. its free.
norton is very intrusive and heavy.
if you want to be really safe, install zonealarm firewall. it takes a bit of time and 1337 skillz to configure, but its great once you get it to work.
I tried AVG, after updating and configuring I got a virus within a week. As for Zonealarm, just spring for a NAT enabled router. I got my Dlink DI-604 for $30 after rebate.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I would check out Avast if you want a user friendly comprehensive and well ranked antivirus free program.

AntiVir is better detection wise, but the free one won't autoupdate more than once a day without additional scheduling entries and it doesn't offer as many as protection modules (web, email, etc...). If you install it, you can also improve detection on the free version by enabling the Win32 file heuristics scanning in the configuration page, under Guard>Scan>Heuristics. I recently switched to AntiVir from Avast!

Check AV Comparatives to see the latest peformance results. As it notes:

Please do not put to much attention to the precentages, as little differences in the percentages do not say much.

It is better you rely on the levels (advanced+, advanced, standard) reached in this test (see http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/overview.html)

Products belonging to a category can be considered as good as the other products in the same category (regarding the on-demand detection rate).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My unbiased opinion is that Macfee is a rip off and only Norton will protect you.