Quantcast

Maintanance?

Btyler311

Chimp
Aug 8, 2004
I'm riding a Haro ICS 5.0 (hard tail) with the Duke Air fork.

What do I really need tool kit wise for doing regular maintainance and what should my job list be? (like how often do I need to clean/lube the chain n stuff.)

I'v got a fork pump and some allen wrenches from working on my old Honda Shadow, an adjustable wrench or two and some screwdrivers, thats it. I can spend about 50 bucks or so on tools if I need to.

I am pretty mechnically inclined and want to be able to do all the regular stuff myself.

You know like what's your tool time routine?

Ty

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Most people I know have a silly amount of bike tools. But you can do most of what you need to with a chain breaker, crank puller, spoke wrench, and allen wrench set.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Must Haves:
- allen keys
- chain breaker
- cable cutters

Should Haves:
- repair stand (out of your budget at the moment, but should still be on your wish list)
- crank puller
- spoke wrench

You'll get lots of different opinions on what types of maintenence you should do and when/how often. It all depends on how you ride and where you ride.

For most people, cleaning and lubing your drivetrain (chain rings, cassette, chain, der pulleys) on occasion is probably enough. I do it about once a month because of how wet/muddy it is where I ride. If it's dry where you ride, it's probably not as big of a deal. Some people do a lot more, some people don't do anything.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
get youself a good tri tool, its a tool that looks like a Y and has a 4,5,6mm allen wernch it really make working on your bike much easier and quicker. also get the above mentioned tool because it you want to do your onw work they are all NEEDED.

don't forget the most inportant thing you can do is to keep it clean

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Echo said:
Most people I know have a silly amount of bike tools.
Add me to that list. :D I like to do all my own wrenching though.

jacksonpt has the right idea on must/should although I would add a BB tool to the should list...you've got a crank puller on there, you might as well. I like to check that everything's tight, including my BB, about once a month.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Ya I had that toolset and it worked fine except the crank puller is for square tapered bottom brackets, and the bottom bracket tool is for splined not truvativ, and a bike stand is a must, and its not out of you spending limit, I got a bike rack thing as home depot for $7 and it worked perfect!

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Or.........better yet.........find a friend that has a complete bike shop and mooch tools off of him.

Make sure the tools that you get, if you only have one of them, are small enough to throw in your camelback and take along on rides.