Quantcast

Major delema (buying stuff...)

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Ok...so heres my problem, as you can see I'm selling my drumset and will be getting roughly a grand for it. Now the trick is what to spend it on (when I get it...)? Im going to Moab, Utah and winterpark, Colorado among many other local cities for 10 days (telluride, ect.) And I've also recently gotten into photography. And on top of that im going on a week long cruise to Alaska.

The problem: Should I buy photography equipment since it will be almost to hot to ride anyways, and take good photos. Or should I buy an AM bike like I've always wanted with the 1000 bucks I'll have (older '05 models, likely) or build a singlespeed hardtail of my dreams. Trick is eventually I'll own the camera gear I want and bike, but which should I have before/for my trip?

The Camera gear I want:
-480EX Speedlite flash
-2 spare XTi batteries
-10-22mm ulta-wide angle Sigma lens
-Slik pro 340DX tripod
-Giottos screen protector.

The bike (or gear):
-Giant Trance/reign, Jamis Dakar, or something else(depends on prices)
-Or build a single speed Atomlab Pimp2
-Or buy new cranks and BB (mines broken), Atomlab pedals, Rock Shox Team fork.

P.S. Im hoping to be getting at job at a bike shop by the end of this week if that goes well...if it matters.

So hand it to me! What would you buy especially for the trip? These are locations I probly wont be back to for awhile, and riding conditions will be super hot, so they wont last long anyways.

thanks
:clapping:

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
1st. Don't count your money till its in your hand.
2nd. What till you get the job, then deceide what you can PD.
3rd. If you happen to get that job at the place I told you to go to. You can PD camera equipment sometimes too.
4th. Get a Hooker. It'll be more rewarding in the long run.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
hah well atleast someone replied!

Sorry, Im a big one for doing research on everything before buying...so I wanted to get myself a head start.

Im 90% sure I'll be getting the money before the end of the week.

I'm just curious what you guys would do...would you rather get good pictures and be able to take care ofthe family photos (my last vacation with my sister till shes in the army). Or get an extra, good bike, to have fun riding at the sick trails.

blah.

2gunnz

Monkey
Feb 9, 2007
Ft. Lewis
Or as another option you could give me the money :)
But if thats a no go, then I would get the camera stuff if you already have a good bike. Or invest it in a mutual fund.

soreyes

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
Maybe a less expensive camera and bike?

That camera gear sounds pretty bulky - would you really want to lug that all over AK taking pictures? A point and shoot would probably get you enough good pics to make the family happy. Keep an eye on craigslist for a good deal on a bike.

It seems like you could get a camera and a bike for a grand that would carry you along until your roillin in the bux a few years down the road.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Maybe a less expensive camera and bike?

That camera gear sounds pretty bulky - would you really want to lug that all over AK taking pictures? A point and shoot would probably get you enough good pics to make the family happy. Keep an eye on craigslist for a good deal on a bike.

It seems like you could get a camera and a bike for a grand that would carry you along until your roillin in the bux a few years down the road.
Didnt know there was such a thing as a less expensive bike then 1 grand. I have never been able to find a bike for under a grand that will hold up for a year...maybe thats just me though.

As for the camera, the point of it is, Im becoming a photographer. Im not "dragging the gear around" I choose to take GOOD pictures while I'm there...a P&S camera cant quite touch thoughs boundaries. (hard to understand unless you ARE a photographer).

thanks for the imput though.
I think Ima get the camera gear.

Didnt know there was such a thing as a less expensive bike then 1 grand. I have never been able to find a bike for under a grand that will hold up for a year...maybe thats just me though.

As for the camera, the point of it is, Im becoming a photographer. Im not "dragging the gear around" I choose to take GOOD pictures while I'm there...a P&S camera cant quite touch thoughs boundaries. (hard to understand unless you ARE a photographer).

thanks for the imput though.
I think Ima get the camera gear.

Dont skimp on the camera gear!!!! get the good stuff, its a investment.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
BuddyMeast....... You should definetly go with the camera. Then you can work for Bibs or even Mark and make enough money to buy an AWESOME bike. I've bought pics from everyone that has shot me racing. I use them for my sponsers and my "when I was your age" wall.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
BuddyMeast....... You should definetly go with the camera. Then you can work for Bibs or even Mark and make enough money to buy an AWESOME bike. I've bought pics from everyone that has shot me racing. I use them for my sponsers and my "when I was your age" wall.
haha well I'll take your photo anyday! I've gotten pictures of several people, none of them offered to pay :-(. But I figured, I'm not good enough to charge just yet anyhow.

EDIT: P.S. You owe me a thank you, I told EVOMO to sponsor more downhill racers at the beginning of the year. They offered me one, but I already had a clothing sponsor. :-D

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
haha well I'll take your photo anyday! I've gotten pictures of several people, none of them offered to pay :-(. But I figured, I'm not good enough to charge just yet anyhow.

EDIT: P.S. You owe me a thank you, I told EVOMO to sponsor more downhill racers at the beginning of the year. They offered me one, but I already had a clothing sponsor. :-D
LOL......THANK YOU! For saving me $30.00. Wait, I got charged shipping, make that $20.05.

I told YOU where to get a JOB at.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
LOL......THANK YOU! For saving me $30.00. Wait, I got charged shipping, make that $20.05.

I told YOU where to get a JOB at.
Wait you had to pay for the jersey? They were going to give me one...and I was gana get a major discount on clothes. (The one I have now, I get it all at "pro sponsor" deals...I'll let you guess what that means)

Well I'm hoping my interview at the bike shop went as well as I thought it did the other day.

If things dont work out, then I'll go there.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
buy a bunch of prime lenses, 15mm fish, an 105ish maybe a 80?
or a 80-200, I use mine a ton
Well I NEED a flash, tripod, and 2 extra batteries.

That leave $500.
I want to get closer shots with a little something extra, thats why I was looking at the ultra-wide 10-20mm

You think a 10-20 is safe? Or should I get a 15mm fish?
I figure with a 10-20mm ultra-wide would be good for biking, and landscape photography....am I correct on this?

(sorry for all the questions)

2gunnz

Monkey
Feb 9, 2007
Ft. Lewis
Hey muddy, if your interested, I have manfrotto tripod I dont use anymore. You can have it cheap, PM me if your interested.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
I was reading over at sports shooter and they say to get the Vivitar 285HV for a flash. You can get them all day long on eBay for under $100.00, than you can buck up and buy some pocket wizards

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Yeah I've read about thoughs vivitars, but I had trouble finding a cheap one for a canon. So I'm going to keep that on tab in my mind till I get more money.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Im rocking two of them, its awsome. So much light for 80 bucks, and then pocket wizards. you will be set, then get teh canon lens you want, save up a lil and get all canon glass. You will be stoked for a long time.
Well I've been looking at sigma glass cuz its 100 bucks cheaper. Should I just go all out for the canon? I hear theres not much of a difference.