Quantcast

Make Shimano Great Again!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Geez. All I’d need is:

new DT hub. 142, with the microspline adapter.
Then when I upgrade, buy a boostinator.
Not so bad I guess.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I just picked up the e13 12spd cassette on sale and will use that on my existing XD driver with XT 12spd shifter/ derailleur for a while.
When I kill the existing rim I’ll lace up a new Microspline hub - probably Hadley or Hope.

As far as quality smooth shifting goes, I think the pinnacle was Shimano 9 speed. I’d like a clutch / wide range version of that.
I don’t think aluminum cassettes will ever shift as well as full stainless steel teeth.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I doubted the hype of the new Shimano 12. But I took it out and put it threw the ringer. Standing tech climbs and it just smoothly changes gears that the Sram 12 on my wife's bike sometimes hesitates to shift and can stall or is very crunchy. Same with the 11 Shimano on my bike. Lever action isn't as soft as Sram but it isn't going to wear you out like 11 speed Shimano.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How's the backpedaling on the largest cogs? SRAM infamously uses N/W teeth on the two biggest cogs to alleviate the issue, how does Shimano handle it?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When I kill the existing rim I’ll lace up a new Microspline hub - probably Hadley or Hope.
Does Hadley have a microspline driver? I thought no.

Anybody who tells me to check their website gets kicked in the crotch. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As far as quality smooth shifting goes, I think the pinnacle was Shimano 9 speed. I’d like a clutch / wide range version of that.
I don’t think aluminum cassettes will ever shift as well as full stainless steel teeth.
I like the 9 speed 11-28 with Zee rear and 9 speed SRAM shifter I've got on my DH bike. Clutch with fewer gears has worked well.

However I did just pickup a cheap 7 speed SRAM DH drivetrain to try this summer. I'll see how much it annoys me having a 25 tooth at the back as my low gear for when I need to pedal flat sections or small uphill transitions between spots.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pretty much everyone useful should have one now as the restrictions on it being limited to certain suppliers ended Dec 31st.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Some guy on Pinkbike claims to have been on one for a month, and he bought it from Balle.

That’s where I got the info.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Jeez. New hub, wheel build, cassette, RD, shifter, etc... to go 12sp. $1k.

Good thing I discovered the fact I just had too much clutch tension!

Shifting nicely now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How's the backpedaling on the largest cogs? SRAM infamously uses N/W teeth on the two biggest cogs to alleviate the issue, how does Shimano handle it?
I had that problem with 11spd shimano too. IME, you can backpedal all day downhill and on level ground, but when crawling up a steep slope, as soon as you start to come off the bike, it starts dropping gears with backwards movement.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Aren’t you guys pedalling a quarter turn at most? Mine drops, but only in the stand winding backwards to lube my chain.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had that problem with 11spd shimano too. IME, you can backpedal all day downhill and on level ground, but when crawling up a steep slope, as soon as you start to come off the bike, it starts dropping gears with backwards movement.
I had that problem too, I fixed it by not riding an evil.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Like most I always threw dollars at shifters, vs derailleurs.
me too. XTR shifter, XT or SLX derailleur.

My shifting on my 11sp XT setup used to be great. It has deteriorated lately. I’m looking forward to installing my new to me XTR shifter. New cable and housing has not done the trick with the old shifter....
I’m all for it. I’m just not in for:

New rear wheel
New RD
New shifter
New Cassette
New chain

I’ll continue to suffer until I get a new bike.

I suppose I’ll be shelling out for most of those parts anyway. The new hub sticks in my craw a little.

but my current bike is 142, so unwilling to swap a new hub on old spacing.
so... explain to me how you figured out it was simply clutch tension?

Also, since you mentioned somewhere that your cassette is old, and since you live close to Commençal's Canadian HQ, have you seen this? It's OEM, but still, that's a pretty sweet deal for the XO1 cassette. I got 3.5 seasons out of my original XO1 cassette with one big-ring replacement about half way through. I think I'll put a new cassette on once the spring mud season is over, and order a replacement ring to have on hand in two years or so. I find these cassettes offer great value for money given their weight and longevity. They work swell with Shimano derailleurs too.

try it nao?!

:D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
me too. XTR shifter, XT or SLX derailleur.

so... explain to me how you figured out it was simply clutch tension?
Through my expert and completely intentional forgetting to turn the clutch back on, and testing things out again. Shifting worked perfectly!

Flicked the clutch back on and the lever action was heavy, and wouldn't hop down the cassette anymore. A slight adjustment of the clutch made a huge difference. I've erred on the side of too little tension and my shifting feels awesome.

Bike is still quiet and I haven't dropped a chain yet (1 ride in...)

If I start dropping chains I'll add a bit of clutch tension.

As for the SRAM cassette, I'm on the HG program for now... so no XD driver.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my google-fu is failing me. where the fuck can i find an actual 148 hope micro spline freehub body now that they are supposedly "available"??? that's not an ebay chinese knockoff?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
my google-fu is failing me. where the fuck can i find an actual 148 hope micro spline freehub body now that they are supposedly "available"??? that's not an ebay chinese knockoff?
Are you looking for the "micro spline freehub body" or for a "Hope hub that's 148mm with a microspline freehub"?