Quantcast

Mammoth Meltdown

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Anyone know how that's going? Trails open up to midmountain yet? They don't seem to have anything about it on the website.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
from their site:

Mammoth Mountain Bike Park is open from top to bottom with the following trails:

Uptown

Downtown

Paper Route

Timber Ridge

Juniper

Big Ring

Shot Gun

Lower Bullet

Lakes Trail

Uphill access to these trails is available via the Bike Park Shuttle, which runs between the Village and the Adventure Center from 9:30am to 5:30pm.

Expert riders: Panorama Gondola is now open to mountain bikers with limited trail access from the top of the mountain. Open sections of Off the Top and Kamikaze will bring you back to the Adventure Center. From McCoy Station, Velocity is open for expert riders only.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
According to one of the employees, the entire mountain should be open by 7/15. Don't quote me on that, but that's what I was told...

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
blt2ride said:
According to one of the employees, the entire mountain should be open by 7/15. Don't quote me on that, but that's what I was told...

That would be nice, looking at hitting it the weekend after that.

BillT

Monkey
From looking at the webcams, there looks to be several rivers flowing down the mountain due to the rapid melt and the temps are supposed to hit close to record levels tomorrow and Thursday.

Myself, mtb_rob_fl, and a non-monkey will be heading out there in mid-August. I'm hoping they'll actually have the new freeride trails (DC-10, Pipeline, Flow, and Shock Treatment) open by then.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
lovebunny said:
lets get a nice big socal rm group up there for a weekend
yeah sweet, we can stuff 10 people into a 1 bedroom again. Seriously though maybe in like 2-3 weeks. We can drive your truck up, eh.

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
ncrider said:
yeah sweet, we can stuff 10 people into a 1 bedroom again. Seriously though maybe in like 2-3 weeks. We can drive your truck up, eh.
either that or you can camp for free at the pit in bishop. it's only 1/2 an hour away from mammy.

madmonkey

Chimp
Sep 15, 2004
Was up in Mammoth last weekend. The trail report is dead on. Gondola is open to the the top and the only way down is Off the Top to Kamikazee, pretty boring high speed run if you ask me. Velocity is open from mid mountain and pretty muddy in spots. The most fun jump on Velocity looks like the first one but the trail over to it is covered in snow I just detoured straight down. Id say Velocity overall is pretty fun right now but the feeling I got the few jump/drops was that they are in kind of rough shape, rideable but tricky landings with mud/snow in spots, tough to get a flow going. The lower mountain is nice but the amount of uphill/flat is irritating on a big bike for like 1 or 2 fun sections on any given trail. I didn't see ANY work being done on any of the proposed trails that sound so cool like DC-10, Flow and Pipeline which I would assume require a pretty substantial amount of construction. I did find some doubles that appear to be the lower part of Flow near the beginning of Paper Route. I hiked up the trail and rode down which was fun but with some work will be real fun and hopefully flow! The Gondola and Shuttle are fast and easy and the repair shop was awesome about changing brake pads for me and bleeding my brakes super fast and cheap, thanks Sard and crew. Overall it was a good time and it will only get better as trails open up.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
I'm down for a monkey gathering. I would suggest camping in Bishop. There's a place right off the 395 next to the golf course. Showers, flushing toilets and BBQ pits. We can ride Mammoth Mtn Saturday and shuttle Lower Rock Creek on Sunday.