Quantcast

Man vs. Log

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
:imstupid:

all the time they spent trying to clear that thing, they could have gathered some pieces of wood/log and build a nice face ramp to launch that mofo! :busted:
It looks like they need to work on speed and weight balance as they go over the log if they want to hit it head on.

I say raise one end of it and hit it at an angle so they can ride it and wheelie drop it like so :D

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I am going to try that this weekend. I'll do it just to humble myself in front of a friend that is new to it he'll get a laugh.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
:imstupid:

all the time they spent trying to clear that thing, they could have gathered some pieces of wood/log and build a nice face ramp to launch that mofo! :busted:
Anybody that follows our local "Va and surrounding areas" trail politics would be able to tell you that doing so would constitute "illegal trail building" :shocked: and "construction dangerous technical trail features" :twitch: Said builders would then be sentenced to eternal hellfire and damnation by the powers that be. And by powers that be, I mean pink bike pedaling, spandex wearing weirdos and their ilk.

Yeah, it's fun living so close to DC.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Anybody that follows our local "Va and surrounding areas" trail politics would be able to tell you that doing so would constitute "illegal trail building" ...
I'm not going to touch the XC vs FR mess going on in the area, but will say, even in the XC crowd, there's an ongoing "Ride the obstacle" vs "make the obstacle ridable" debate.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm not going to touch the XC vs FR mess going on in the area, but will say, even in the XC crowd, there's an ongoing "Ride the obstacle" vs "make the obstacle ridable" debate.
Hey, at least it's keeping everybody entertained.

BTW: Dan Wask, I just read over on MORE's site, the official measurement on the log is 27". That's a pretty good bunny hop for most people.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BTW: Dan Wask, I just read over on MORE's site, the official measurement on the log is 27". That's a pretty good bunny hop for most people.
True, but those guys did not need to totally clear it.
Just time the hop to get your back tire on the log instead of the chain ring. I hop over stuff all the time while trailriding that I hit by back tire on and it justs roll on over.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I wanna see the guys calling to bunnyhop that log actually perform said bunnyhop over that log. I know there are probably some of you who can, but I also bet that fallen tree (that ain't no log) looks a helluva lot harder to get up and over in person than it does on a youtube video.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I wanna see the guys calling to bunnyhop that log actually perform said bunnyhop over that log. I know there are probably some of you who can, but I also bet that fallen tree (that ain't no log) looks a helluva lot harder to get up and over in person than it does on a youtube video.
ditto.

on a bike setup for XC, too. sure, w/ a DS-type bike and low saddle, it's far easier to get height on a bunnyhop, as compared a 'saddle in the air' and non-slack front end of a typical XC setup.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think I could easily bunnyhop to get the front tire off the log and the rear on without hitting a chainring. Being able to get my weight back far enough with the saddle at full extention and not go OTB would be much harder.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ditto.

on a bike setup for XC, too. sure, w/ a DS-type bike and low saddle, it's far easier to get height on a bunnyhop, as compared a 'saddle in the air' and non-slack front end of a typical XC setup.
I don't know I've taken bikes out from the early nineties (Mongoose IBOC Pro Cromo w/specialized future shock at Ramapo and a rigid Cannondale M400 at the Hartshorne drops) on trail rides before and I still clear the same stuff. Its not as easy but its the rider, not the bike. HT are easier on obstacles like this too...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think I could easily bunnyhop to get the front tire off the log and the rear on without hitting a chainring but to be able to get my weight back far enough with the saddle at full extention and not go OTB would be much harder.
Yeah you would have to lower your seatpost, but thats not too much to ask.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah you would have to lower your seatpost, but thats not too much to ask.
I'm so anal about my seat height that once I find the sweet spot it will take a much better reason than a log to get me to change it. I'd try it, go OTB, get back up and ride away from it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm so anal about my seat height that once I find the sweet spot it will take a much better reason than a log to get me to change it. I'd try it, go OTB, get back up and ride away from it.
I'm lazy, I like to ride with inbetween height so I never have to stop but one of my knees doesn't always like that. I'm going to try one of them modern Hite Rite things very soon though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I recall this chap having some trouble getting up onto this.
Thats what happens when you are getting use to new bike:busted:

The log type setup IAB is trying to get on above is a piece of cake though, see higher up with larger log with greater incline. Craig has a shot with same said bike dropping off at the 6 ft. mark (past the green bushes in the last frame).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I probably couldnt bunny hop it straight up, but I could most likely hop onto it with my back wheel and hop off the other side. 27" is a pretty significant bunny hop.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I probably couldnt bunny hop it straight up, but I could most likely hop onto it with my back wheel and hop off the other side. 27" is a pretty significant bunny hop.
Sounds fair, most trail riders do not have enough confidence in their timing and height to straight up b-hop or j-hop right over it at speed like it was a small log, especially if it was a brand new obstacle on their local trail, but I think its not asking to much for a competent trail rider to weight and unweighted at the right time to clear it so you aren't chainsawing the log.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sounds fair, most trail riders do not have enough confidence in their timing and height to straight up b-hop or j-hop right over it at speed like it was a small log, especially if it was a brand new obstacle on their local trail, but I think its not asking to much for a competent trail rider to weight and unweighted at the right time to clear it so you aren't chainsawing the log.
I just went outside to watch myself bunnyhop. With my seat fully extended, I can only manage about 14" or so. If I lowered it as if play riding, 2 feet would be reachable. Rolling over it with high seat would be sketch also but Im pretty sure I could do it after a try or so.