Quantcast

Manitou Gold Label vs. Stance Static

mtncycle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Philadelphia
So I've heard all the horror stories about last year's Stance Static's, but am wondering if they resolved those problems for '06? I'm looking for a 100mm travel fork for my street/dj bike. Currently running a Marz Dropoff Comp (130mm), and want something with less travel and at least some rebound adjustability.

Since the Static is like half the price of the Gold Label, there must be a reason for that difference. I'm a fairly smooth rider, but still want something that will hold up. Anybody have any experience with the new static's, or should I just suck it up and get the GL? How are they for rebound/dampning adjustability?

thanks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They've got the same lame damping but the chasis is much better on the gold.

A buddy of mine is on the manitou hookup and has been beating on one for a while. It's held up. Mostly because it's not made of tin foil like the stance forks.

That said, I'll sell you a 100mm stance static for $80. :D

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
gold label is semi bath and the castings are different. Also the steerer and stantions are different. I have been riding a stance static for a little less than a year and it took some time to get the bugs worked out. (Blown and broken damper, cracked lowers) Manitou made everything right and I have had no issues since the lowers were replaced.

Gold Label
4.6 lbs
80mm or 100mm
Fluid Flow
Rebound
Semi-Bath with Evil Genius Seals
Coil
Magnesium RA
32mm Aluminum
Steel Threadless

Stance Static
5.8 lbs
80mm or 100mm (preset travel)
Fluid Flow
Rebound
Grease with Evil Genius Seals
Coil
Magnesium RA
32mm Chromoly Steel
1 1/8" Steel Threadless

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
basikbiker said:
manipoos blow. get a pike, argyle even a zokey dj3 would be better.
hahaha!
so you're one of THOSE guys. :rolleyes:

so how long have you been riding a sherman jumper for to know that it blows? 2 years or so? no? well then, let me tell you, its actualy really nice - comming from a DJ1.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
v-digit said:
hahaha!
so you're one of THOSE guys. :rolleyes:

so how long have you been riding a sherman jumper for to know that it blows? 2 years or so? no? well then, let me tell you, its actualy really nice - comming from a DJ1.
Actually ive gone through two of em. for me its hit and miss with them. sometimes you get a super nice fork or you get **** for a fork, in my case its most often ****. But if you go with manitou i hope you get lucky. haha

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
If you want to get a manitou, get a Sherman if you can find one. If you can't, go with the Gold Label Jumper. That said, the Pike is probably a better fork or as good a fork than anything Manitou has out right now, AND the travel is adjustable on them. Not as much on some of the Shermans (some of the Shermans adjust from 65 to 130 or something like that)

bikeit13

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
I have actually noticed a big difference for the new stances. I broke an 05' stance static that i had, in less than a week manitou sent me a brand new stance and it feels better and is more durable.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
I test rode a 2006 P.1 Cr-Mo with an 06 Stance Static, it felt pretty good. Personally i'd go with a Gold Label if you've got the money, because they're better, that's a given, and they weigh less. Stances were designed as a cheaper version of Shermans, so if you've ridden with a Stance you should have a feel for a Sherman.

mtncycle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Philadelphia
thx for all the replies. I just ordered a 100mm Gold Label since Nashbar, of all places, is blowing them out for $260. we'll see how it holds up.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
mtncycle said:
thx for all the replies. I just ordered a 100mm Gold Label since Nashbar, of all places, is blowing them out for $260. we'll see how it holds up.
i would double check with nashbar to make sure its the one you want. to me it seems nashbar doesnt know what theyre selling. on their site they list it as gold label 2 for use with standard quick-release axle hubs. gold label 2 is 20mm only.