Quantcast

Marinated Grilled Pork Loin, grilled corn, and grilled red taters = Killer Meal!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Grilled up a tasty meal tonight.

Grilled up a couple of marinated pork tenderloins along with some grilled sweet corn, and grilled baked red potatoes with EVOO, butter and rosemary.

The Marinade consisted of the following:
Bourbon
Soy Sauce
Dijon Mustard
Brown Sugar
Ground Ginger
Olive Oil
and Garlic

I let the pork tenderloins marinate in the mixture for about 5 hours (overnight woulda been even tastier) and then used the remainder of the marinade to baste the tenderloins while cooking. They came out delicious.

Picked up some sweet corn, soaked that in water for 5 hours too and grilled those puppies up. Came out very sweet, slightly smokey and mighty tasty.

The taters were what we had and they came out great too.

Topped it off by grilling up some black plums and nectarines on skewers with a bit of sugar sprinkled on top - came out good, but I want to try again with a slightly hotter grill surface to get better grill marks, softer fruit, and better carmelization of the sugar.

All in all it was a mighty tasty Sunday dinner.

I love to cook!

What did you guys make for dinner this Sunday???

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Mate of mine showed me a good way to grill corn on the barbie. Don't take the husk off, just throw it on as is and when most of the husk is burnt away the corn is ready. A little bit messy but the corn was beautiful.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Forgive me for this, but...

Where the FACKINGGEZUSHAELL are the pics!

The Marinade consisted of the following:
Bourbon
Soy Sauce
Dijon Mustard
Brown Sugar
Ground Ginger
Olive Oil
and Garlic

In bold - Stellar Choices!

Not bold - Standard Requirements.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Sorry for the lack of pics, but I'm a novice cook at best so I needed to focus all my attention on the prep work and grillin.

I want to get to the point where I know what I'm doing enough to not have to measure everything out exactly and just go by experience and taste.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
MMcG said:
Sorry for the lack of pics, but I'm a novice cook at best so I needed to focus all my attention on the prep work and grillin.

I want to get to the point where I know what I'm doing enough to not have to measure everything out exactly and just go by experience and taste.
Fair enough. I'm just a wanker about the pics - i think it's key to remembering what it was someone cooked...

Moving right along, however...

Just a thought about the Nectarines and the Plums - I think they have enough sugar already in them to caramelize - I could be wrong - but i agree that the grill should be really hot for the hatch marks to show up.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
mmmmmmmmm, that sounds delish. I am definitely going to have to give that tenderloin recipe a go.

How bout all weekend because we ate good.
Friday: BBQ'd Chicken, corn, green salad, fried green tomatoes, and pink eyed peas
Saturday: Anise scented beef short ribs with stone ground grits and cabbage (all farmer's market finds)
Sunday: Eggplant parm with tomato pepper salad and of course, angel hair pasta with red sauce.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
definitely sounds good. i did the beermonkey thing, cooked a pizza w/ my phone.

i for one can't understand the grilled corn phenomenon...i'm a straight up 'husk and steam' guy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That dinner sounds awesome. Grilled stone fruit with vanilla ice cream is my favorite desert. You can also broil it in an oven-proof pan. Add a little brown sugar and you get a quick syrupy thing going.

I bonked hard on a long road ride yesterday. Made a total rookie move and didn't eat enough the day before or during the ride, then decided to take a longer loop with lots of climbing. By mile 50 I hit the wall - too bad I was more than 20 miles and a bunch of climbing from home.

When I got home my girl took one look at me, then ran out and got me a huge cheeseburger with fries from a local spot. An hour later I was on the phone ordering a pizza too. I woke up starving this morning. :wonky2:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
definitely sounds good. i did the beermonkey thing, cooked a pizza w/ my phone.

i for one can't understand the grilled corn phenomenon...i'm a straight up 'husk and steam' guy.
Grilled corn is tasty Narlus - give it a try sometime.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've had it, but it's more of a pain than it's worth in my mind. the way i've seen it done is to husk the ears but leave the husks attached at the base, then cover it back up and grill it. the kernels don't get direct grilling, so what's the point? and if you do grill them naked (as it were), chances are you wil char the kernels before they are fully cooked.

steam, salt, butter, and two hands. all i need.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've done it several ways. Last night I soaked the corn while the Tenerloin marinated - the husks fell right off the corn and the corn had a sweet and smoky flavor to it. Tasty.

I've also shucked the corn and then wrapped it in foil - that way tends to "grill" the kernals a bit and as long as you stay focused you won't burn em. Damned good way to eat corn IMO and one less big pot to worry about.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's real convenient to strip grilled corn?

btw, i don't boil 4 qts of water...put an inch or two of water in the pot and steam it.

and it sounds like colorado could use a bit more air moisture anyway.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The way I did it last night Narlus the corn stripped off super easily and extremely quickly and all those little stringy things came off real easily as well.

Hell it's all good - fresh corn however cooked is simply awesome this time of year! :drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love grilled corn. You can shuck it, grill it directly for a few minutes, then move to an upper rack to finish. Or reverse the order. Or take your steamed, shucked corn (or boiled, or grilled in the husk) and throw it directly on the grill for a couple minutes.

Then smother it in chili-lime butter and salt...MMMMMMM.

You know the difference in flavor between grilling and steaming other veg - why is corn different? To each his own, of course, just curious.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
MMcG said:
All in all it was a mighty tasty Sunday dinner.

I love to cook!

That sounds great. We are gonna have to try the grilled fruit.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
TN said:
That sounds great. We are gonna have to try the grilled fruit.
Make sure to get the grill nice and hot. I didn't let it get hot enough and the fruit didn't carmelize and soften how I had hoped it would. It was still good, but I know it could have been better.

Makes for an nice light summer dessert though! :thumb:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
narlus said:
i had grilled pineapple sat night. tasty!
Oooooh yeah, baby! I love grilled pineapple.

When it's cooling, fresh off the grill, try dusting it with a little cinnamon. Brazilians do that for Churrascu, and it's amazing.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just letting you know I got the Pork in it right now :) I used fresh graded ginger.....and added some Honey as it seemed fitting :)

We're just having some steamed veggies and maybe rice. Simple....because we don't have a BBQ so I gotta use the grill plate on the oven and it's already hot out!

I'll let you know how it goes.......I just sorta winged it as far as measurements go but it was enough to cover the pork chops in a ziplock bag. It smelt funky but I imagine it'll taste fine (all my mixes smell funny but come out tasting ok).

I love being new to cooking, it's so fun getting to experiment with different things. Only way you'll find something you like.