Quantcast

Marzocchi 55 vs RS Lyrik

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I can't find anybody who actually has time on a 55. They look good on paper. Lighter and about 1/2 the price of the Lyrik.
I haven't bought marz product since the Shiver came out. How good is the quality these days. I know all their production is in asia and all the ones I have any experience on where Italian.
Anybody ridden the 55 on a 6" bike. I need a fork that I can adjust down for some slalom action too.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have heard its really hit or miss with the new forks from them. also i really don't like the new 20mm qr system that they are using. the maxle and the fox system ( rockshox tullio) are the best going as the lever that you use to rotate the axle into its sleeve is always out of the way.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I can't find anybody who actually has time on a 55.
Thats because anyone who owns one always has it in the shop being repaired.

(sample size of 1 admittedly but my mate has one and its never lasted more than 3 rides before crapping out. It gets repaired by Marz in Vancouver too. He's just ordered a Lyrik)

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Thats harsh, there has been plenty of issues with lyriks too, see the NSMB threads. There has also been plenty of problems with fox's talas system. Its a no win really. I'd buy off who has the best support in your area.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
My buddy just got one on his sx trail and it doesn't feel as good as the old marzocchi stuff. It has a lot of bushing slop and the axle system is hard to get a positive feel that it's tight. The fork might last, but all of that stuff sketched us out and he took it off. Have you considered a pike? Light, cheap, travel adjust, and they work great. The only complaint I had about mine was that it started to flex when things got really steep and rough.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Whats so difficult about the axle? Turn till it clicks, done. I have sold a bunch of bikes with 55s (sassys and manics from norco) and no one has had axle issues.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I've sold about 10 pairs of 55s and everyone of them came back problems nott getting full travell, the axles not staying tight and the super slick coating on the top of the line 55ata wearing prematurly. A bit of a disaster if you ask me and a long way from Marz of old.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
I've sold about 10 pairs of 55s and everyone of them came back problems nott getting full travell, the axles not staying tight and the super slick coating on the top of the line 55ata wearing prematurly. A bit of a disaster if you ask me and a long way from Marz of old.
And if you have a higher class SR Suntour fork and open it up next to a 55 you'll find a few similarities ;)

lyrics had some issues with the air too but from what i hear it's been addressed.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
but why do i never have any problems with the high end suntor oem forks. The 55s seem to have Italian friday afternoon quality control. All the 55 tst forks i sold had the wrong oil height in the cartridge which where causing the fork to not get full travell.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Maybe waiting for the 09 55 RC3 will be the way to go. Glad I didn't buy one of these.
A 55 RC3 should already be available.

Has anyone come up with a reliable travel-adjust air-fork yet? Talas seems to be the standard, at least more reliable than most.

I may go for the 55 RC3 eventually, the damping is excellent. Unfortunately it lacks a travel adjustment, but you could retrofit an eta cart for climbing.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Honestly, the Marz quick release is great as long as you read the instructions first. Most people don't turn the axle until it clicks, and that's why theirs keep coming loose.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
i had a 55 ETA which i got from marzocchi to replace the pos am1 i had. i rode it for 7 months, it went back twice due to cracked tst cartridges and bad bushings. i sold it for 200 just to rid myself of it. i replaced it with a 36 van rc which is head and shoulders better.

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
I have the Pike and I love it. I opted for the coil for overall plushness, but have also ridden the air. Both have travel adjust that is easier to use on the fly than the Marz and Fox style which requires you to lean all of your weight into it. The adjustability and stability of the Pike is amazing and I recommend it to anyone. I have it on a 575 and it is the ultimate climbing and descending combo.