Quantcast

marzocchi 66 150 to 170mm travel change, how-to and pics

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hi all

i remember this was a hotly debated topic so maybe i can same someone time and grief with this.

took me about 20 minutes and one call to a friendly zocchi tech.

this to celebrate the (too hot) weather and the fact ive now got a handy little digicam so small and cheap i can take it out to ride, or wrench!

step 1
remove footnuts, 15mm wrench (same as you use for pedals)

step 2
drain oil, put the fork upside down and have a bucket handy to catch the oil, there will be a lot of oil as this one has 200ml per side

step 3
remove lowers, just pull them of and youre done
dont loose the two black plastic spacers that might fall off or get left inside the lowers!

step 4
remove the cartridges, easy, you dont need to remove the adjusters just get the correct wrench (ill admit i used a crescent), then pull them off.
this is how it should look like, take note of the small spacers to the left of the top of the carts on the picture

step 5
now were getting into business.
you have to remove the top cap from the cartridge assembly.

use a small 8mm wrench or a needle nose plier with some rubber around it, and untighten the red locknut from the top cap, then unscrew the top cap, some oil probably will come out.

remove the red locknut (or whatever its called)

remove the silver piece with o-ring

fit the black spacer that previously lived on the bottom of the cartridge, onto the silver piece you just removed, it should "snap" into place.

fit the silver piece back into place as it was before, the black spacer should now be in contact with the spring
[img=http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/1575/66150to1700047hd.th.jpg]

step 5

reassembly of cartridge, put the red piece back in and screw it in as far as it will go

the very top end of the cartridge is the adjuster needle, unscrew it until you can remove it and leave it there

screw the top cap in until it bottoms out on the thread

now back the red nut until it contacts the top cap, and tighten it a little careful here, these are all alloy parts and too much force WILL damage them

in the picture, the cart to the left is at 170, the one on the right is at 150,note the black spacer

step 6

do the other cartridge

step 8
install the cartridges back in the stanchions, just snug them up, no need to be brutal.

here is how it should look like

step 8

refill with oil, this is best done with the fork upside down, slide the lowers on carefully in order not to damage the oil seals, just dont slide them all the way on so you can fill the oil in from the lower hole that now should be facing up since the fork is upside down

step 9

ride the damn thing

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
excellent write-up
one question why is it better to fill the fork up upside down. not arguing I have just never heard that.
thanks

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
MOTODH said:
excellent write-up
one question why is it better to fill the fork up upside down. not arguing I have just never heard that.
thanks

not better just easier, you can do it either way, upside down or with the fork compressed and rightside up, i just find it easier to pour it straight in from the bottom.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
as usuall vitox very nice post. been needing to show a friend how to do that and again ridemonkey came threw for me. thanks man for the pics and the awsome right up.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
Nice post, I've been meaning to post on this subject myself. Marzocchi sent me their tech sheets for the travel change. I've been trying to scan them, but my scanner is acting up. Don't know if this makes a whole lot of difference or not, but when you convert from 150mm to 170mm the plastic spacer actually sits on top of the silver spring retainer (not between it and the spring) the spring retainer should remain on top of the spring. Also when converting to 170mm, you must flip the spring retainer upside down.

Obivously the way you set up the cartridges is working, but the configuration is very different from my tech sheets. I will try to get my scanner working, and post the exploded diagrams for both 150mm and 170mm cartridges.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
mike67 said:
Nice post, I've been meaning to post on this subject myself. Marzocchi sent me their tech sheets for the travel change. I've been trying to scan them, but my scanner is acting up. Don't know if this makes a whole lot of difference or not, but when you covert from 150mm to 170mm the plastic spacer actually sits on top of the silver spring retainer (not between it and the spring) the spring retainer should remain on top of the spring. Also when converting to 170mm, you must flip the spring retainer upside down.

Obivously the way you set up the cartridges is working, but the configuration is very different from my tech sheets. I will try to get my scanner working, and post the exploded diagrams for both 150mm and 170mm cartridges.

yea i understand what you mean, i tried setting it up that way but for some reason i ended up doing it the pictured way, the spring retainer against the spring sounds like the obvious way but i set it up and ran into a problem, cant remember what but i think it was that i couldnt tighten the locknut, i think that was it, if you find out plase post back.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
vitox said:
yea i understand what you mean, i tried setting it up that way but for some reason i ended up doing it the pictured way, the spring retainer against the spring sounds like the obvious way but i set it up and ran into a problem, cant remember what but i think it was that i couldnt tighten the locknut, i think that was it, if you find out plase post back.
I'll see how it goes, I'm planning on doing the travel change on my fork sometime over the holiday break. I like your method of adding the fork oil from the foot nut holes. Last oil change, I added 220ml (Marzocchi recommended) I think it was a bit too much oil for my weight (170#) I'll try 200ml with the travel change. Just curious, did you gauge the oil volume at 200ml from the riders weight? I will still try to post the tech sheets ASAP........stupid scanner:mumble:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Thank you for posting this, I was planning on going and seeing what I could do. How many mL of oil (7.5wt) per leg would you guys recommend for a 160 pound rider doing aggressive freeride and DH?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
mike67 said:
I'll see how it goes, I'm planning on doing the travel change on my fork sometime over the holiday break. I like your method of adding the fork oil from the foot nut holes. Last oil change, I added 220ml (Marzocchi recommended) I think it was a bit too much oil for my weight (170#) I'll try 200ml with the travel change. Just curious, did you gauge the oil volume at 200ml from the riders weight? I will still try to post the tech sheets ASAP........stupid scanner:mumble:

well i was really anal about not spilling oil anywhere so i could get an accurate idea of how much oil was in there, the guy didnt want to change the oil amount so i just but the same amount back in. but yea 220ml sounds like you could have trouble getting the last 10mm or so of travel.

man, 220ml per side on a SC!

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
For those wanting to do the travel change, compare the cartridge component configurations.

Vitox, thanks for the "how to" and pics. I'll give 200ml per leg a try next time.

Attachments

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
This is great info dudes!
Must admit I am a little confused though. I thought the a-c of the 170 fork was a lot more that the 150? This seems like a great fix to the 170 being so huge. Or does this switch put the 150 version back up to the original 170 a-c version? Seems like all you would be doing is changing the travel and not the a-c. I don't know...told you I was a bit confused.

Also, did you guys have to buy any extra parts to perform this switcharoo?

Lastly, if the lowers of the 150 is made for 150mm of travel, does changing to 170mm cause any "fit" problems in the 150 lowers?

Thanks,
B...sorry for the ignorance:help:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I nominate VITOX for Ridemonkey tech! He has some of the best write ups around and does them pretty darn frequently.

Hey senior Ridemonkey. how about a tech blog where ppl like vitox can put there write ups for everyone!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
boone said:
This is great info dudes!
Must admit I am a little confused though. I thought the a-c of the 170 fork was a lot more that the 150? This seems like a great fix to the 170 being so huge. Or does this switch put the 150 version back up to the original 170 a-c version? Seems like all you would be doing is changing the travel and not the a-c. I don't know...told you I was a bit confused.

Also, did you guys have to buy any extra parts to perform this switcharoo?

Lastly, if the lowers of the 150 is made for 150mm of travel, does changing to 170mm cause any "fit" problems in the 150 lowers?

Thanks,
B...sorry for the ignorance:help:
buddy the 170 and 150 are exactly the same fork, just one is switcharooed the other isnt, a-c on the 150 is 20mm less than the 170

furthermore, the lowers are the same as on the 888!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
boone, doing this increases the fork travel 20mm and also the a-c 20mm, or if you had a 170 you could do it backwards and lower your fork. both the 150mm and 170mm forks use all the same parts, just assembled differently.

End09

Chimp
Feb 28, 2006
Hi there! Can I do this travel upgrade on a '05 Vf too?
Marzocchi didnt even bother to answer me after 2 emails and many weeks:mumble:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
End09 said:
Hi there! Can I do this travel upgrade on a '05 Vf too?
Marzocchi didnt even bother to answer me after 2 emails and many weeks:mumble:
Yes sir. I don't even believe they offered the 66 in 2004 and the fork he is working on appears to be a 2005 model.

End09

Chimp
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah... its a 2005 fork.... but its an RC ( if im right) and I still dont know if I can do this upgrade on a VF :)

End09

Chimp
Feb 28, 2006
Hi! The travel upgrade works with the '05 Marzocchi 66 VF-s too:):)
I just received mine and managed to upgrade the travel to 170.... it involved some spacer cutting and taping it together again....but it works great! i'll put up some pictures later...

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
ajitaw said:
or how about the 66r?
Yes it does work for the 66r...did it my 05. There are a few differences...I can't remember them all (I did it last december), but it is pretty straightforward.

adamantane

Chimp
Apr 15, 2006
same question. i just heard that you cannot do this on the 2006 RC2X :eek: anyone wanna fill me in?
haha, sorry to dig up this old thread...but i just got a 2006 rc2x...and yes you can change them from 150 to 170 and vice versa...there is one black spacer that you move above or below the spring on the compression side...anyway, later