Quantcast

mass voters are stupid

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Yeah I was surprised to hear that Q1 didn't pass. I thought it would for sure.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jeez. Do you guys still have restrictions on buying after 8pm or whatever and on weekends?

This is funny:

"Dominic Campochiaro, 68, agreed.

"That's going to give some young kids an opportunity to go in there and buy (wine). I'm not in favor of that," said Campochiaro, a lifelong resident of Boston's North End."

I lived in the North End from 92-96, that dude is probably not in favor because it means he won't get his cut for buying booze for the kids...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
WHAT THE HELL?

You can but anything but weapons in the grocery stores around here.

Wait...kitchen knives can be weapons.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jeez. Do you guys still have restrictions on buying after 8pm or whatever and on weekends?

This is funny:

"Dominic Campochiaro, 68, agreed.

"That's going to give some young kids an opportunity to go in there and buy (wine). I'm not in favor of that," said Campochiaro, a lifelong resident of Boston's North End."

I lived in the North End from 92-96, that dude is probably not in favor because it means he won't get his cut for buying booze for the kids...
that's exactly right...it was pitched as a public safety issue, when it's all about the financial aspects...the mass liquor wholesalers need to disappear...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MMMMM Giorgio's pizza and calzones....La Famiglia...Polcari Coffee...and that friggin bakery open late night...

Thinking about the North End makes me hungry.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was always biased towards the south end...maybe because i lived there, but thought that there was way more variety, just as good if not better food, and it was cheaper.

but the bakeries in the north end definitely ruled.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
:imstupid:

I voted no for several reasons, mainly to protect small business(mom and pop liquor stores). There's no shortage or lack of selection when it comes to liquor outlets so I saw no reason to expand wine sales to supermarkets. But then as a business owner I always defer to supporting the local option even if its less convenient for me.

My decision had nothing to do with safety issues, I grew up in an area with drive-thru liquor stores.

OG: all the blue-law restrictions have been repealed. You can buy booze 7 days with normal operating hours.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
but there were no such restrictions when Walgreens/CVS/etc pushed the mom and pop pharmacies to the curb, or when Home Depot and Lowe's crushed the local hardware store. why should liquor stores be any different?

i'm still pissed that the MA legislature made it (or more correctly, kept it) illegal for me to join this

:mad:

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I don't get it . I don't know any one who voted against it.
I've got friend that owns a liquor/wine store in MA and he says the liquor industry there is the closest thing to the mafia that he's ever seen. Extremely crooked. Guessing the vote was fixed.

I vote North End. Especially Modern Pastry for ricotta cannoli. Is there a bell in here?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
that's exactly right...it was pitched as a public safety issue, when it's all about the financial aspects...the mass liquor wholesalers need to disappear...
Do you think the supermarkets wanted wine sales to make your life more convenient? "our customers lives seem so complex, how can we help"

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
but there were no such restrictions when Walgreens/CVS/etc pushed the mom and pop pharmacies to the curb, or when Home Depot and Lowe's crushed the local hardware store. why should liquor stores be any different?
That's a valid question, especially in relation to pharmacies. I only use local lumberyards/specialty building product stores b/c the big-boxes suck in terms of quality, selection and often price.

edit: the restriction on out of state wine shipments is moronic.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Do you think the supermarkets wanted wine sales to make your life more convenient? "our customers lives seem so complex, how can we help"
no, i totally agree that they were in it for the $ too...but the opposition was the one who took it as a safety crusade, and bent facts accordingly.

"Mothers Against Drunk Driving is taking no position, and the reason is because they looked at it, and it's not a safety issue. This is an economic issue, where one group is trying to protect their virtual monopoly on wine sales in the state," Flynn said.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
that definitely sounds messed up but I think things are bad all over to one degree or another. Over here, Costco just won the right to buy directly from the producer instead of the distributors which was a convoluded law left over from prohibition.
The messsed up part is that some ultra premium wineries here don't want their product in a grocery store because they think it devalues their product and ruins their reputation. The wine shop owner by my house said that he found Leonetti in a grocery store so it is no good any more.
nutz.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
more kids buy booze from those small, sketchy liquor stores than anywhere else. any kid who has a brain knows not to buy booze at a store where there are always lots of people and where someone they know can spot them. that's a fact, so i don't see how allowing grocery stores or gas stations to sell booze is going to make underage drinking that much more rampant.

my dad voted for it and my mom followed the herd and voted against it because she thinks it would lead to more underage drinking.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
more kids buy booze from those small, sketchy liquor stores than anywhere else. any kid who has a brain knows not to buy booze at a store where there are always lots of people and where someone they know can spot them. that's a fact, so i don't see how allowing grocery stores or gas stations to sell booze is going to make underage drinking that much more rampant.

my dad voted for it and my mom followed the herd and voted against it because she thinks it would lead to more underage drinking.
Good point, but one that might be hard to argue with the legislature:

"Well you see, actually when I was underage I used to buy booze from liquor stores all the time and I would never...ahhh...well nevermind...."

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
The big liquor stores backing this claim with a bunch of bull**** theory about how more teens are going to buy wine, thats a lot like microsoft claiming that no one else should be allowed to sell computers. Can you say stupid?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
MMMMM Giorgio's pizza and calzones....La Famiglia...Polcari Coffee...and that friggin bakery open late night...

Thinking about the North End makes me hungry.
Me too. I lived on Beacon Hill for 2 years. We used to go to the North End all the time.