Quantcast

Massachusetts sales tax holiday

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
sorry if this is old news but
on sat. the 14th MA is having the 1st sales tax holiday. i personally think its pretty cool that lawmakers (or whoever) did this to help small businesses and businesses in general. are any other states doing this? im sure the bike shop will be swamped that day

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
CT is doing it for a week I think - tons of states do it for back to school season. Lots of restrictions usually though - expensive bikes could be one of those exceptions.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
mcA896 said:
of course. there is a $2500 limit in MA
That's per item. If the item goes over $2500, you pay tax on the whole thing.

This break applies to non-residents too. MBC and I will be buying a sh*tload of furniture for the new house and thought about driving to MA to buy it. I called the MA Dept of Revenue and they said the tax break applies even if you live out of state and have the merchandise shipped to CT. :cool:

J

JRB

They have that here for students. I think it is crap for people to just go buy stuff when they don't have kids in school. It abuses what it is intended for. Taxation isn't all bad. How else would the government get funded?

I Are Baboon said:
That's per item. If the item goes over $2500, you pay tax on the whole thing.

This break applies to non-residents too. MBC and I will be buying a sh*tload of furniture for the new house and thought about driving to MA to buy it. I called the MA Dept of Revenue and they said the tax break applies even if you live out of state and have the merchandise shipped to CT. :cool:

of course MA doesn't care. it's CT that cares. TECHNICALLY, whenever you pay for something out of state, and bring it into the state, you are supposed to pay USE tax (sales tax) on your income tax return.

they are cracking down on things which are easy to find such as dell computers because there are shipping records.

loco-gringo said:
They have that here for students. I think it is crap for people to just go buy stuff when they don't have kids in school. It abuses what it is intended for. Taxation isn't all bad. How else would the government get funded?

OMG - you are in Texas? Texas doesn't even have an income tax! Talk to me when you pay 5.5% of your wages to the State Government in addition to the Fed. :mumble:

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
So in essence I would get penalized for not having kids? THAT is crap.
It's not a penalty. It is in place to help the people that can't afford school clothes. You would also have to buy $200 to save enough for one pair of pants. It is really a stupid thing. It is the retailers here that pushed for it. People spend money they don't have. Back to, "what does any government owe you"?

J

JRB

MtnBikerChk said:
OMG - you are in Texas? Texas doesn't even have an income tax! Talk to me when you pay 5.5% of your wages to the State Government in addition to the Fed. :mumble:

It's your choice to not live here. If you don't want to pay state income tax move. How much is your sales tax? Montana doesn't have sales tax. Just go buy your crap there.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
loco-gringo said:
It's not a penalty. It is in place to help the people that can't afford school clothes. You would also have to buy $200 to save enough for one pair of pants. It is really a stupid thing. It is the retailers here that pushed for it. People spend money they don't have. Back to, "what does any government owe you"?
I misread your original post, where you said the Texas break is for students. Giving students a break I can understand. I've been there.

The MA and CT breaks are for anyone. In CT, the break is only on clothing items under $75. Pretty weak if you ask me.

J

JRB

MtnBikerChk said:
I dunno - something about people in glass houses not throwing stones......

:stupid:

Explain. I need some jeans, but did not buy them because I didn't think I should get a tax break. Tell me more about how I fit in a glass house. :confused:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk said:
It's more fun living in CT and working in MA because I get to pay TWO state income taxes. :)

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
I misread your original post, where you said the Texas break is for students. Giving students a break I can understand. I've been there.

The MA and CT breaks are for anyone. In CT, the break is only on clothing items under $75. Pretty weak if you ask me.

I am just bitchin about the people doing it are the same ones at the movies with the popcorn bag with no color on it asking for refills on it. How cheap can people be? Not pointing at you or anyone here. It is abused here is all I'm saying.

loco-gringo said:
Explain. I need some jeans, but did not buy them because I didn't think I should get a tax break. Tell me more about how I fit in a glass house. :confused:
Ok, I'll explain: People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones means - you live in a state where there is no income tax, therefore, you shouldn't condemn people for trying to save a buck on taxes in states that pay income taxes.

CT's sales tax is 6%. What is TX?

J

JRB

MtnBikerChk said:
Ok, I'll explain: People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones means - you live in a state where there is no income tax, therefore, you shouldn't condemn people for trying to save a buck on taxes in states that pay income taxes.

CT's sales tax is 6%. What is TX?
8.25% - other taxes are extreme. I am sure if you compare, it will come close to being a wash.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Knuckleslammer said:
I hope the whole thing is a complete flop. People are such idiots. Go shopping that day and save 50 cents.
I don't know, Knuck...5% savings on a $2500 item is $125. That $125 will get your family a couple of decent meals at Disney World.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Washington = No Income Tax
Oregon = No Sales tax

It's a perfect match, just a three hour drive for tax free shopping. :devil:

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
I Are Baboon said:
I don't know, Knuck...5% savings on a $2500 item is $125. That $125 will get your family a couple of decent meals at Disney World.
ahh, IAB, $125 will barely get you groped by Tigger at Disney World ;)

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
douglas said:
· Non-Exempt Sales *— All sales of motor vehicles,[1] boats,[2] meals,[3] telecommunications services,[4] gas,[5] steam, electricity, and of any single item whose price is in excess of $2,500, do not qualify for the sales tax holiday exemption and remain subject to tax. Id.

http://www.dor.state.ma.us/rul_reg/tir/TIR_04_14.htm
Damn, and I was going to go back to Boston to visit and to buy some steam for my steam engine. Now it's not worth it.