Quantcast

Massive nuclear facility found in Iraq

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hmmmm... preliminary at best but I do hope we find something soon... I found this paragraph interesting:

"The Marines should be particularly careful because of those high readings," he told the paper. "Three hours at levels like that and people begin to vomit. That leads me to wonder, if the readings are accurate, whether radioactive material was deliberately left there to expose people to dangerous levels.

"You couldn't do scientific work in levels like that. You would die."

Time will tell. Iwonder what happened to the 20 armed chemical warheads reported to have been discovered last week? No new news on them.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I can't remember where I read it, but someone made a good point about the "hush-hushness" of these types of discoveries. They said that if we made all those details known, Iraqi fighters might be more compelled to use those weapons because they would no longer have anything to hide. I think once the fighting settles down, we'll make it known exactly what we have found. With all the discoveries we have made, I believe that at least some of this stuff is considered WMD.

If this facility is indeed illegal, it makes me wonder what the UN inspectors would have to say about it, considering they had searched the area several times.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Heard on the news the nuke facility has been known to UN inspectors for years.

However, various items in it were under "seal" and those may have been broken....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by N8
Heard on the news the nuke facility has been known to UN inspectors for years.

However, various items in it were under "seal" and those may have been broken....
Saddam is big on tunnels and underground facilities... the UN inspectors seal and monitor all known entrances while Saddam makes a few new tunnels and alternate entrances... I'd do it if I was an international despot.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
If the UN inspectors knew about this for years, why are we saying we have "found" it.
The facility wasn't "found"... the underground comples and what might be weapons grade plutonium was...

BAGHDAD, Iraq — U.S. Marines may have found weapons-grade plutonium in a massive underground facility discovered beneath Iraq's Al Tuwaitha nuclear complex, an embedded reporter told Fox News Thursday.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
U.S. `discovery' of nuclear materials said to be breach of U.N.-monitored site

April 10, 2003 3:02 PM

The Associated Press

Vienna, Austria-AP -- U-S troops in Iraq may have unknowingly broken U-N seals meant to control radioactive material.

Some Marines have suggested they uncovered evidence of an active nuclear weapons program in Iraq. But today, officials said they may have unwittingly stumbled across known stocks of low-grade uranium.

This week, leaders of a Marine combat engineering unit said they found a network of laboratories beneath a nuclear research center south of Baghdad.

But an expert familiar with U-N nuclear inspections told The Associated Press it was implausible to believe that U-S forces had uncovered anything new at the site. The official says the Marines apparently broke U-N seals designed to ensure the materials aren't diverted for weapons use -- or end up in the wrong hands.

:eek:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Know what pisses me off? That folks can't wait till things are verified before they go and report it.
It makes us look like morons.

"We found WMD"
"No we didn't"

"OK... NOW we found WMD"
"Whoops! it was fertalizer"

"This HAS to be WMD!!"
"Ok, its only a rabid squirrel"

:rolleyes:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by -BB-
Know what pisses me off? That folks can't wait till things are verified before they go and report it.
It makes us look like morons.

"We found WMD"
"No we didn't"

"OK... NOW we found WMD"
"Whoops! it was fertalizer"

"This HAS to be WMD!!"
"Ok, its only a rabid squirrel"

:rolleyes:
LOL ....I was watching CNN the other day and the reporter was in some scientific compound and he said that in a laboratory troops had found some un-identified chemicals. Chemicals, in a laboratory, surely you can't be serious, what's next un-identified organic compounds in a restaurant???:D :D .