Quantcast

Master chain links

Mar 17, 2009
Sac town!
Soooo, I went to take a link out of my chain so I can slam the tire, and it doesnt want to work. Because taking that link out makes it so on the chain one side is the inner link, and the other is the fatter outer part link. That make sense lol?:confused:

So looking at a half link, it would make my chain work, but my chain wouldnt fit:( So I need a full size link, but like this

http://www.danscomp.com/463011.php?cat=PARTS

Does that exist?

Or what do I need? A whole new chain?

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
let's get to the core of the issue here: you're running 28-15. what do you use this bike for? 28-11 should be fine, 28-12 too.

also, you're running a master link. don't.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
3 piece master links are fine. I race BMX with a KMC 610 w/ half-link and masterlink 3-4 times a week. No problems.

It is folklore that 3-piece masterlinks are weak. They're actually stronger than the rest of the chain. Many AA BMX pro's run masterlinks and they hold up for them. If they were weak, chain companies would not supply them because they would be a huge liability.

If you use a riveted half-link like the Wipperman (Superstar), you'll be fine. The pin is mushroomed on the ends and cannot pull apart. If you use 2 three piece master links to connect both sides of the half-link you will not have to push any rivets back in and risk damaging the side plates. It looks funny but it is strong.

The 2-piece speedlinks (quick links) suck. Avoid them like the plague for BMX.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
If quick links are so bad how come they run them on downhill, 4x, xc and road bikes with no failure? Keep the chain clean and lubed. Also change it before it gets too worn and there shouldn't be a problem.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
If quick links are so bad how come they run them on downhill, 4x, xc and road bikes with no failure? Keep the chain clean and lubed. Also change it before it gets too worn and there shouldn't be a problem.
Because there is no other form of cycling puts the kind of stresses on a bicycle drivetrain like BMX racing. Top road racers/XC MTB might put out 7 watts/KG, but BMX pro's put out 2000+ watts with long crank arms, 55 inch gears and wide bars that are designed for nothing but laying down power.

You might argue track racers, but thier 90 inch gears, aero position and 165 - 170mm cranks do not produce the drivetrain stresses a BMX pro racer can generate.

Quick links do not hold up for BMX racing.