Quantcast

Math help???

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Yea I know that I'm not in Calc or anything super complicated but these imaginary numbers are confusing me.

Can you guys help me solve these problems with explanations as to how you do them?

1. Write the following in standard form.
2+5i
5+2i

2. Find the absolute value of the following.
a. |3-4i|
b. |-2-i|
c. |-9+6i}

I know they are probably easy but they're confusing me at the moment since my teacher didn't explain them too well. Thanks,
Tony

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Ok. First you have to hit "mode," which is right next to the 2nd key, then scroll down to the 7th option on the screen, chances are "Real" is selected, you want to select "a+bi" then hit secob quit to get back to the regular screen. When you want to insert an "i" for imaginary hit "second" then the decimal, which is in the middle of the bottom row of buttons, that should do it

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Ya, i was counting on that then as my teacher was passing out the tests last week she said we couldnt use our calculators, so I had all of 30 seconds to learn imaginary numbers

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
escapeartist said:
Ya, i was counting on that then as my teacher was passing out the tests last week she said we couldnt use our calculators, so I had all of 30 seconds to learn imaginary numbers
Lol, that sucks. On Ti-83s to get absolute values you hit math, scroll right to Num, then its "abs(" right?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
haha, ****in i, my teacher was sick today, so we didnt got no crap like that today!

alegbra 2 is officially useless.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
On a related note, I have a bet with this senior in my math class that whoever has a better grade, the loser pays off the difference in points in dollars. I'm up by $23.00.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
The Kadvang said:
On a related note, I have a bet with this senior in my math class that whoever has a better grade, the loser pays off the difference in points in dollars. I'm up by $23.00.
HAHA, thast a good bet. All the people in my Algebra2 class are either sophmores(like me) or freshmen.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
mtnbkr4235 said:
Yea I know that I'm not in Calc or anything super complicated but these imaginary numbers are confusing me.

Can you guys help me solve these problems with explanations as to how you do them?

1. Write the following in standard form.
2+5i
5+2i

2. Find the absolute value of the following.
a. |3-4i|
b. |-2-i|
c. |-9+6i}

I know they are probably easy but they're confusing me at the moment since my teacher didn't explain them too well. Thanks,
Tony
To divide
multiply by 1 in the form of the comlex conjugate (a-bi)/(a-bi)
in this case multiply by (5-2i)/(5-2i) distribute the numerator
the denominator should be 25+4 or 29
the numerator is FOIL distribute (2+5i)(5-2i)= 10-4i+25i-10i^2=20+21i

so it's 20+21i

I think