Quantcast

Maxle play?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So I prided myself in the fact that I couldn't fathom how the seemingly huge number of ham-fisted people managed to mess-up their maxles on the previous generation Boxxer, however, having just collected a new bike, running a DT 440 front hub and 2010 Boxxer, both new and parts I've not run before, I'm having some difficulty.

I screw the axle in from the drive side, and tighten to the appropriate torque, but by this point the front hub is completely seized in the dropouts. Somehow tightening the axle is putting excessive preload on the bearings. If I run the axle just loose enough that the hub turns, I can tighten the expansion wedge on the maxle to hold it there, but it eventually comes loose, and is VERY finnicky to set the right preload. Think the old style cup and cone bearings. something seems amiss. It doesn't seem right that tightening the axle should preload the bearings.

Any hints?

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Is the front hub new? We had a similar problem once at the shop I work at. Eventually figured out that the hub was missing the center spacer between the bearings.

Maybe try with a different front hub and see if it's the same deal.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was having some trouble with mine, and it turned out the hub just came with crap bearings. I replaced them and it was fixed.
Give that man a cookie. Turns out it was a stiff bearing. A bit of lube and brute force cured the problem, as is often the case with many things in life...

where's your lasers now smarty pants?
Dude, I had to do some serious internet creeping to figure out who you were... :brow: