Maxxis Crossmark > Nothing

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Review: Maxxis Crossmark 2.4 LUST
Bike Setup: 2011 Yeti 575 Tubeless on Mavic 819
Rating: 1 out of 5

For context, I only ride Maxxis and have only ridden Maxxis since 2000. I've had this tire for ~3 weeks now and had more crashes caused by rear-end breakaway than I had in the prior three years on the same Larsen TT. Braking is crap and edge bite is non-existent. It does roll faster, but that is the point of rolling faster when you can't stop or turn? Also the LUST casing on this tire is very inconsistent with stability.

I feel like an unfulfilled Goldilocks, when testing tire pressures: The pressures are either too hard or too soft, but nothing just right. I have run it from high-20's to low 40's and have yet to find a pressure that works. When too hard it just chatters around when descending, and can not get a good edge when cornering. When too low, it seems to wallow when turning. You will get bite, but the sidewall of the tire just rolls, completely offsetting the usable traction.

What does it do well?
Rolls faster than a Larsen TT. I am still trying to find additional redeeming characteristics.

Overall Take-Away:
I want my $45 back. I will be acquiring an Advantage in the hope of finding an equivalent or better tire than the Larsen TT I was initially trying to replace. I will be keeping the tire to replace Wifey's front on her XC bike, because she doesn't really push her bike, but I can not recommend this tire to anyone that actually leans their bike over or pushes the limits in the slightest.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Interesting. I rode a crossmark on the rear of my 29er hardtail with a Ignitor on the front and loved it. Sure the rear tire would break away every once in a while but it was predictible and manageable. The rolling efficiency was worth it, I didn't however ride them over the winter in muddier conditions, they were great in the summer.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Interesting. I rode a crossmark on the rear of my 29er hardtail with a Ignitor on the front and loved it. Sure the rear tire would break away every once in a while but it was predictible and manageable. The rolling efficiency was worth it, I didn't however ride them over the winter in muddier conditions, they were great in the summer.
That's the weird thing, I've ridden in loamy, damp clay, wet clay, and dry loose hardpack (we have lots of terrains locally) and it's done none of them really well. It was okay in the loamy dirt, but I think just about anything would have done well there.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
That's the weird thing, I've ridden in loamy, damp clay, wet clay, and dry loose hardpack (we have lots of terrains locally) and it's done none of them really well. It was okay in the loamy dirt, but I think just about anything would have done well there.
Ok, NONE of those conditions sound like it would be a good fit for the Crossmark. I always liked it in dry hardpack (ie, NOT loose) when your focus was on speed and less rolling resistance as opposed to grip and cornering. I always thought of it as more of an XC Race style tire than a 2.4 All Mountain type of thing though... (I had the 2.1)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You know...a road clincher would suck on those trails too. I rode a tire with not a ton of bite in really loose dusty stuff on Sunday and lived. I blew a couple of corners out, but I wanted fast rolling and not too heavy. I dealt with my decision and didn't complain when I rode a hard pack tire in loose conditions. That said...I blame Maxxis. A 2.4 of that tire seems stupid to me.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's very clear that it's a true XC race tire, despite its look as a potentially good trail tire. I wish they would bring back the 2.35 LUST Larsen TT as that was an awesome trail tire, despite being branded as an XC race tire.

Not really liking this tire in the slightest though.

PS - You win.

cubsrtbest99

Chimp
Nov 3, 2009
Westchester, NY
The cross mark its an amazing tire IF you run a 2.1, with tubes. Without tubes the sidewalls are to weak to hold up to aggressive riding but throw a tube in there and you have one of the best riding tires over everything(dry hardpack, rock, loose stuff, and even wet rock and dirt-NOT DEEP MUD).

Definatly recommend it to anyone who rides tubes and 2.1s.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The cross mark its an amazing tire IF you run a 2.1, with tubes. Without tubes the sidewalls are to weak to hold up to aggressive riding but throw a tube in there and you have one of the best riding tires over everything(dry hardpack, rock, loose stuff, and even wet rock and dirt-NOT DEEP MUD).

That actually makes sense. I really liked it after my first ride, when I had a tube in it. It wasn't until I went tubeless that it blew goatballs.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I will be acquiring an Advantage in the hope of finding an equivalent or better tire than the Larsen TT I was initially trying to replace.
I roll on the Advantage on my Stumpy. Rolls well, but doesn't do too well in the sandy spots. Haven't flatted yet.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO

That's funny, I have a 2.1 with tubes and its still just one step above riding on the bare rim.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have a couple rides on the 1.95 Ignitors on the XC bike....very impressive. By far the smallest volume tires I've ever run (I thought they accidentally sent CX tires when I mounted them), but holy crap do they grip and roll fast as hell. I found my new go-to XC tire.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The 2.1 crossmarks kick ass setup tubeless for hardpack xc trails. I used them a couple times for a couple of xc races last year, and that is what they are good for. Ever since then, I have had the same tires on my pump track bike and it dominates there as well. They do blow goats though on loose dry dirt over hardpack. I hate changing tubeless tires on my trail bike, so I could not use them there. I need a tire that works well everywhere. I have been real happy with the Michelin wildrock'r trail tires.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Crossmarks work good for bmx tracks, dirt jumps, really hardpacked trails. For 4x racing only in the back...

Good tires but not High Roller good

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I recommend Kenda Small Block 8s with 40 psi for truly sketchy cornering. Embrace the slide, you'll go faster or hit tree trying. Good times.
that was an option. A buddy had one lying around, but made the call on the front end that is wouldn't be a good idea.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I've run C-Marks front and rear and always found that they hook up pretty well. I'm using a lot of Geax tires lately. Mainly because the sidewalls are very good. Use the AKA for most things. Saguaro for anything really rocky or loose.

If you are really looking for a tire that will rail don't overlook the Specialized Captain. Mixed results with the sidewalls, but they hook up like crazy in the corners, in almost any terrain.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Hey one of you guys with money to blow on tires needs to review the Ikon. I'm in need of a new front tire for DS racing but I don't know if the Ikon will have enough traction to run it over a Larsen.