Quantcast

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Exo/Ardent 2.4 Exo on DH bike

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've just ordered Minions DHF Exo 2,5 3C, but they didn't arrive, yet.

Intense951

Chimp
Aug 18, 2010
Glastonbury, CT
Do not run the 2.5 exo 3C. They do not have the downhill casing and you will flat all the time. I just came off a race where I flated twice in two runs for on the front Minion 2.5 Exo. I had to buy super tackys off my friend with the downhill casing.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have a buddy who has ran the Minion DHF EXO/3C a few times on our lift-serviced terrain with no flats. And for 3C they're holding up pretty good. He is running them tubeless and knows he needs to put in a lot of pressure. He weighs 160 and runs those tires at 35psi IIRC. The sidewall on those EXO's do seem thin and weak, but they're holding up for now.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Run the DHF in the front and rear. Ive been running the DHF front and rear for a long time, even before the EXO. I use to order the 2.5 from overseas. I love the single ply DHF. I have converted all my buddy and they will run no other tire. They are awesome for a AM tire. I have had a few buddys try and run them at resorts and they work, but you have to run high pressures. I run the front at 30psi and the rear at 35psi.

Last edited:

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
I run the EXO 3c front and rear on my DH bike. I run them Ghetto tubeless. No problems or flats yet.

I even had to air down to sub 20 PSI the other day, I did burp the tire quite a bit, but no problems otherwise. Really love the tires so far.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
FYI, the Exo 3C is a harder combination of rubber compounds than the DH 3C...
I was pretty afraid of this when I ordered mine. After spending some time on them I really like them. They are a lot faster rolling than the other 3c compound, but the 50d side knobs still grip very well. The only place I had trouble, was on very wet exposed root. I aired down to around 20psi, and they were awesome again.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
My buddy tried running them but kept wrecking the rear tire. he weighs 132lb so I figure that if he can't use them no full size people should waste their time with them. I had high hopes for this since it seemed like the perfect way to save weight in the right place and cheap as well.

Might work in front but I have a feeling they will fold too easy.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
My buddy tried running them but kept wrecking the rear tire. he weighs 132lb so I figure that if he can't use them no full size people should waste their time with them. I had high hopes for this since it seemed like the perfect way to save weight in the right place and cheap as well.

Might work in front but I have a feeling they will fold too easy.
Maybe your buddy is doing something wrong?

I am about 185, and run them Gorilla tubeless front and rear. No problems yet. Actually really like the tires.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
So that's with tape instead of a split tube? What rims are you running them on?
Yeah, just a layer of gorilla tape on 729s. (Very dented/flatspotted 729s)

Still. Aside from some minor burping that only happens when I ride them sub 20psi, I've had zero issues with this setup.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
Maybe your buddy is doing something wrong?

I am about 185, and run them Gorilla tubeless front and rear. No problems yet. Actually really like the tires.
Maybe he is, or maybe we have too many rocks here, or he's not as smooth as you or maybe he rides harder. Who knows, all I know is that I won't try it after seeing his.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Maybe he is, or maybe we have too many rocks here, or he's not as smooth as you or maybe he rides harder. Who knows, all I know is that I won't try it after seeing his.

Could be any combination of the above.

I ride the PNW, so there aren't a ton of sharp rocks to contend with. All I can do is share my experience. I ride about 4-5 days a week. I like steep, rooty, technical terrain. I ride rain or shine. I enjoy riding fast, and being in the air. These tires have made my bike feel so much easier to control, both on the ground and in the air. I am a mechanic at a shop, and try a lot of tires, but I will leave these on until they wear out. (unless I can get a high roller 2 for the rear)