Quantcast

Maxxis Series?

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
I think the series will take shape soon and we are planning a race May 7th at ETSU. It will be DH and Dual only.
Schedule: Sat. May 7th
9am- registration opens
11am- Qualifying for Dual
12pm- Elimination rounds
4pm- Downhill first run

PS- The city of J.C. has contacted me about building a BMX track and do any of you know about organizing a BMX race?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
All I ask for the series is to concentrate the dates to one end of the summer or the other. Last year's stretched from the first of May until the first of Sept. But either way I'll be there May 7th.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
It looks like August will be packed with Nationals and Sugar. July has some Nationals and MTNs Cup as well. But June is completely open. How about having Windrock and Wolf races in June?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
It looks like August will be packed with Nationals and Sugar. July has some Nationals and MTNs Cup as well. But June is completely open. How about having Windrock and Wolf races in June?
Sounds good.
In the past, the Southeast always had a few races in May/June before Snowshoe. (until this year). That would be sweet to have a ETSU/Wolf/Windrock race all beforehand. Also don't forget about the US Open. That race blows the Nationals away. I don't know the dates for it, but last year it was in May.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Memorial day weekend I believe, like the 21-23rd or something like that? I'm not exactly sure, but i'll be there. I'll try and grab some tentative dates from Hcor.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
ztlh13 said:
I think the series will take shape soon and we are planning a race May 7th at ETSU. It will be DH and Dual only.
9am- registration opens
12pm- Elimination rounds
4pm- Downhill first run

PS- The city of J.C. has contacted me about building a BMX track and do any of you know about organizing a BMX race?
Go here: www.nbl.org and go to "start a track".
That'll be awesome if you guys get a BMX track. You're in a good location for nationals and regionals. Jeff ought to be chiming in. He knows of the contacts you need to make and he should be able to answer any question.

andym

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
va
I might be tempted to try racing this event. I spectated part of it last year. A BMX track would be cool, I've had a Mosh frame for awhile that needs to be built.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Jeremy R said:
Oh yeah, that reminds me. We should have a few DH races in November.
That is about the time Jeff will decobweb his DH rig, and be ready to ride. :nuts: :)
Ahhh, my hollywood ass is gonna condescend to race some DH this year, so spare the lame jokes. In fact, I just rode the big bike with Brady yesreday. Which thumb did you ride this weekend, XC boy?

Terry - about the BMX track, the NBL provides a very detailed template for organizing races - much more so than Norba does for it's promoters. You realistically need a dedicated core group of five people (minimum) to keep a track going throughout the year and about ten total on race day to run the race. BUT, of those ten, only 2-3 need to have an idea as to what they're doing beforehand. The rest - scorers, corner marshalls, stagers, etc...can be trained in five minutes.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I think Jeff has talked me into putting the 20" bike down that weekend and give this MTB thing a shot. I think that I might give the DS a shot, what the heck, right?

Cheers!

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
Terry

About the BMX track.....you need to contact Jason Shefelbein, he takes care of new start ups and track support....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ztlh13 said:
9am- registration opens
12pm- Elimination rounds
4pm- Downhill first run

Cane Creek Cup 2005
Uwharrie

March 26 Short Track

March 27 Cross Country

Location Uwharrie Uwharrie Nat. Fores

Contact Marcus Jones 910/692-4494

Tsali

April 10 Cross Country

Location Bryson City

Contact Gone Riding 352/873-9279

Tiger Rag

April 17 Cross Country

Location Clemson SC

Contact Clemson Chamber 864/654-1200

Wolf ’s Bane

May 7 Downhill / Dual Slalom

May 8 Cross Country

Location Wolf Ski Resort

Contact Butch Greene 828/665-8833

Stump Jump

May 15 Cross Country

Location Spartanburg

Contact Spartan West Rotary 864/599-9019

Devil’s Ridge

May 22 Cross Country

Location Sanford

Contact Ken Cameron 919/776-1767

Dark Mountain

June 18 Downhill

June 19 Cross Country

Location North Wilkesboro

Contact Jim Horton 336/838-1948

Dam Jam

July 16 Downhill

July 17 Cross Country

Location Fontana Village

Contact Gone Riding 352/873-9279

Sizzler

July 23 Short Track

July 24 Cross Country

Location Greensboro

Contact Dale Brown 336/274-5959

Showdown at Sugar

August 13 Downhill

August 14 Cross Country

Location Uwharrie Uwharrie Nat. Fores

Contact David Johnson 828/898-4521 ext202

Hobby

September 17 Short Track/TT

Contact Ken Putman @ Tanglewood 336/724-9688

September 18 Cross Country

Location Winston-Salem

Contact Paul’s Cycling and Fitness 336/777-1002

Riverfront Classic

October 1 Short track

October 2 Cross Country

Location Charlotte NC

Contact Neal Boyd 704/503-0138

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
JeffD said:
Isn't Wilkesboro thereabout of Winston-Salem and very flat?
Wilkesboro is about 40 minutes east of Boone on 421 and is kind of the "gateway" to the mountains. I do not know where out there the dh course will be but I would guess it will be something along the lines of Fontana as far as elevation goes. IE something more than Charlotte but less than the ski areas. I think someone had a thread about those trails somewhere around here...

Anyone notice that Wolf and ETSU are scheduled for the same date???

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Peete said:
Someone bring back the Dam Jam DS. :mumble:

And no DS at Hobby? :stosh:

Charlotte?[/QUOTE
There will be slalom at Hobby on Sunday w/the XC race. For some reason it was not put on the Cane Creek site.

B

bigkonarider

Peete said:
Someone bring back the Dam Jam DS. :mumble:

And no DS at Hobby? :stosh:

Charlotte?
I think Fontana had to Build something in that area..
Bigfoot should be good though.. Needs to be faster & longer !

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Getting back on topic. I talked to someone at Maxxis today and they have not gotten a proposal from anyone to do a southeast series this year.

I thought, and I'm sure alot of folks, that Juan was going to set it up again.
Maybe we need to send a barrage of email to Maxxis and Juan.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
Yikes...Here's Juan's e-mail in case it might help: juan@maxxis-sss.com

Also, a few more points of clarification:

* As Steve said, is ETSU and Wolf on the same day?

* Is it just me, or are DH races listed for Saturday rather than the traditional Sunday time slot? It looks like they've flip flopped with the XC events...If true, kinda sux for Iron Horse and their new DH bike ;)

* The 'Showdown at Sugar' is listed to be held at Uwharrie? A mis-print I presume...

* A DH race @ Dark Mountain? Interesting...I wonder how long the course will be?

Finally, here's one vote to have as many races at Windrock as possible :devil:
(On that note, I hope they fix I-40 soon)

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
jackalope said:
* Is it just me, or are DH races listed for Saturday rather than the traditional Sunday time slot? It looks like they've flip flopped with the XC events...If true, kinda sux for Iron Horse and their new DH bike ;)

* The 'Showdown at Sugar' is listed to be held at Uwharrie? A mis-print I presume...

* A DH race @ Dark Mountain? Interesting...I wonder how long the course will be?

Finally, here's one vote to have as many races at Windrock as possible :devil:
(On that note, I hope they fix I-40 soon)
Actually Ed, DH is traditionally held on Sat. since XC has always been on Sun. in these parts. It is the rare race with no XC or a national that will have DH on Sunday.

I am trying to keep an up to date and "correct" version of the schedule at http://www.squirrellyracing.com

If anyone has anything they would like to add, you can pm or email me and I will post it.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
I can change the date for the ETSU race for the weekend after Big Bear (if it happens), but Wolf better go down this year!!
Or...
We can have DH and Dual on Sunday since we are only 45 minutes apart. Let me know.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Damn Steve, you have a habit of pointing out glaring mental errors on my part :blah:

You're of course right about Saturday DH racing...Been reading too much stuff about the IH Sunday Dh rig...I also just forgot I usually take off the Friday before so that I can practice...Race Saturday, trail ride on Sunday before heading east...My bad...

As for Wolf and ETSU, I would like to do both of course, but not having ever raced Wolf, that's my preference for May 7th...

Also for Butch, any trail workdays scheduled for Wolf and/or Sugar? I know it's kinda far off, but just checking...I will not slack off like I did last year and will be there with shovel / chainsaw / beer in hand...Last I saw, Sugar needed some work on the original trail (especially Lizards Lane)...

Thanks for all you guys do!

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
jackalope said:
Damn Steve, you have a habit of pointing out glaring mental errors on my part :blah:

You're of course right about Saturday DH racing...Been reading too much stuff about the IH Sunday Dh rig...I also just forgot I usually take off the Friday before so that I can practice...Race Saturday, trail ride on Sunday before heading east...My bad...

As for Wolf and ETSU, I would like to do both of course, but not having ever raced Wolf, that's my preference for May 7th...

Also for Butch, any trail workdays scheduled for Wolf and/or Sugar? I know it's kinda far off, but just checking...I will not slack off like I did last year and be there with shovel / chainsaw / beer in hand...Last I saw, Sugar needed some work on the original trail (especially Lizard Lane)...

Thanks for all you guys do!

:stupid: Senility gets the best of all of us sometimes LOL!

I would like to see the ETSU race in June or something since there is not a whole lot of dh going on then. Right now it looks like Wolf and Massanutten back to back then some will probably go to PA for the US Open that looks to be planned for Memorial Day weekend.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'd go for the ETSU and Wolf weekend combo. That would benefit those doing nationals to get a FULL weekend of riding and racing.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
profro said:
I'd go for the ETSU and Wolf weekend combo. That would benefit those doing nationals to get a FULL weekend of riding and racing.
Well, I don't know anything about dates at Wolf, I know Butch is going up there this weekend and that is all I know.
But the main advantage at Wolf is how much riding you can get in over a weekend. If the race is on Saturday, you can ride all day on Friday, and if the race is Sunday, you can ride all day Saturday.
I got in more riding at Wolf in 2 days, then I did at Big Bear in four.
Plus having them on the same day would be tough for Terry as well with all that running around between the two. Hopefully they can get something worked out.
Somebody put on a race this weekend, this offseason stuff is for the birds. :blah:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
Somebody put on a race this weekend, this offseason stuff is for the birds. :blah:
I'm heading to Vegas to race Bootleg with JP a week from tomorrow! :blah:

I thought Terry was offering to run ETSU on Sunday if the Wolf race is held on Saturday. If thats the case I'm in.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
profro said:
I'm heading to Vegas to race Bootleg with JP a week from tomorrow! :blah:

I thought Terry was offering to run ETSU on Sunday if the Wolf race is held on Saturday. If thats the case I'm in.
You lucky Dog. I am trying to save up for a truck.
As far as the race, I am in either way. I just know it would suck for Terry trying to do both in one day, and race too. I have seen his face after just doing the MTX, and understood fully. ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
I just know it would suck for Terry trying to do both in one day, and race too. I have seen his face after just doing the MTX, and understood fully. ;)
He does the MTNx and DH at ETSU in the same day regardless. ESTU was that way last year.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
nuttypoolog said:
what do you all think about a DH endurance race... see who can get the most runs in 10 hours. :D
Sounds interesting but I'd probably never want to ride that course after the race.
I wouldn't mind finding out.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
bizutch said:
guess you better never go to a National then?

by the way...you're a wuss and I own you! :thumb:
Went to Snowshoe and had a blast. I kept my wuss ass on the MtnX and SuperD. Where were you????
I'm working up plans to go to Sea Otter w/ my son this year. :p See ya there??

My point was 12 straight non stop hours of almost anything would make it old.

Besides owning me it looks like you own a fork you can't get rid of. :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Peete said:
Went to Snowshoe and had a blast. I kept my wuss ass on the MtnX and SuperD. Where were you????
I'm working up plans to go to Sea Otter w/ my son this year. :p See ya there??

My point was 12 straight non stop hours of almost anything would make it old.

Besides owning me it looks like you own a fork you can't get rid of. :thumb:
I would be one of the guinea pigs they used to test out the new DH course.
you goin' to the Supercross bro? I'm making plans to.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
No SX for us. We stopped going 2 years ago when the stupid Dome stopped allowing you to bring food and drinks in.
Plus Bubba's hurt and won't be racing.

Stop by chic-fil-a on the way and stuff your jacket full of sandwiches before you go in. :oink:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
got news for you Peete....I don't worry too much about eating when I'm inhaling premix and watching Windham throw whips off the triple....heh heh!!! I'm usually the guy in our crew watching the whole thing like it's the SuperBowl. I'm a fanatic on-site.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
bizutch said:
got news for you Peete....I don't worry too much about eating when I'm inhaling premix and watching Windham throw whips off the triple....heh heh!!! I'm usually the guy in our crew watching the whole thing like it's the SuperBowl. I'm a fanatic on-site.
We always end up in the nose-bleeds and I may have a touch of a.d.d.
What were we talking about, Jeremy?

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
Peete you and Peter going to Sea Otter....got room for one more...lol...I'm thinking about going but don't have anyone to get a room or anything with when I getou out there....pm me if you do....and when, or is the Maxxis series schedule going to be finished....anyone talked to Juan?...

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Nobody has sent a proposal to Maxxis for a southeast series. Juan, I guess, doesn't want to go thru the ordeal this year.

Jeremy, I'm going to PM you tomorrow about S.O. and some other stuff.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Peete said:
Nobody has sent a proposal to Maxxis for a southeast series. Juan, I guess, doesn't want to go thru the ordeal this year.

Jeremy, I'm going to PM you tomorrow about S.O. and some other stuff.
Cool, but the only info I have on Sea Otter is that I am not going.
Luckily, I don't have to fly across the country to do a flat DH race.
I can get that right here in the South. :thumb: ;)
But PM me anyway, hopefully about a ride we can do soon.