Quantcast

Maxxis to discontinue Ardent?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I bought a couple 3C 2-ply ardents on closeout from Jenson for $20 each. And now QBP has the same tires on closeout for 1/3rd of their normal price. It seems a bit crazy to see 3C DH tires going this cheap, did everyone hate the Ardent or what? I've yet to ride them.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I used Ardents on my trail bike with mixed results last year- 3C 2.4 in front and 2.25 60 durometer in the back. Rolled great but you really had to lean them over to get any turning traction. When you did so and it broke free, it just didn't as predictable as a Minion. They didn't handle in the wet as well as I thought they would also - 3C included - had the front tire wash out more than once. Not horrible, but just not what I expected.

I'll probably keep the front and get a minion for the rear for this year.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm running them on my trailbike right now and I'm not sure if I'd recommend them. They're "OK" but they're not very predictable/confidence-inspiring.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I ran on out back on my DH bike, it sucked.

I tried it up front... sucked.

The was in dry, dusty and rocky conditions. It was super squirrley

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've been running the 2.4 single-ply 60 durometer up front on my AM bike. Comparing to the Advantage I had on there before it's performing much better then the Advantage ever did - holds a more solid edge cornering, maintains traction better on off camber drifts (the Advantage just seems to want to slide right out if your pushing on it stood up) and sheds mud better. However, they haven't seen dry conditions yet (it's tacky to muddy right now), so I'm not sure how they'll react when it turns back into loose over hard-pack.

The side knobs feel like they might not be stiff enough for a softer durometer.

Maxxis - 2.5/2.4 Minion DHF + High Roller kevlar bead single-ply PLEASE!!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
go with the advantage best trail bike tire i have ever used...ardent seems a bit lacking for what it's intended usage is...

The minion is a FANTASTIC tire as well but def rolls a bit slower, if you want the most traction go minion, if you want a bit faster rolling tire i say go advantage...

Ardent? maybe as a rear when the dirt is nice and dry....

Last edited:

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I have never ran these tires before but used minion 2.5's, what size in the 2ply do you guys run for dh, 2.4 or 2.6?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I've been running the 2.4 single-ply 60 durometer up front on my AM bike. Comparing to the Advantage I had on there before it's performing much better then the Advantage ever did - holds a more solid edge cornering, maintains traction better on off camber drifts (the Advantage just seems to want to slide right out if your pushing on it stood up) and sheds mud better. However, they haven't seen dry conditions yet (it's tacky to muddy right now), so I'm not sure how they'll react when it turns back into loose over hard-pack.

The side knobs feel like they might not be stiff enough for a softer durometer.

Maxxis - 2.5/2.4 Minion DHF + High Roller kevlar bead single-ply PLEASE!!!!
Man, i am the complete opposite of you, i cant see how the advantage would EVER have better traction unless you are riding only hardpack with no loose stuff or mud...I have to say I completely disagree here...

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
im not sure why you would ever use this as a front tire. i run one on the back when not racing, dry, mellower stuff, and its fine, lighter and rolls fast

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Man, i am the complete opposite of you, i cant see how the advantage would EVER have better traction unless you are riding only hardpack with no loose stuff or mud...I have to say I completely disagree here...
Other way around - Ardent has much better traction for me then the Advantage.

I moved my front Advantage to the rear...hopefully it'll wear out soon. Not a fan.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I should have specified in my OP that I wasn't suggesting they're discontinuing the Ardent entirely, just from DH 2-ply offerings so it seems.

I've used the 2.25 folding Ardents on my XC bike, but the sideknobs seemed to be placed further to the outside on the larger 2-ply versions. It would make sense that they are a relatively loose riding tire because of that. Whatever, the price is right and the brand doesn't begin with K, I'm picking up a second set.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I've used the 2.25 single ply as a rear tire, and it's fast rolling, light, and drifts predictably. It wears fast and the sidewalls wear too, making it easy to pinch flat. I need a more durable tire on my trail bike, but I got a couple of 2.4 3Cs for the DH bike. The knobs are bigger and taller than on the 2.25s, but I haven't tried them yet.

Swampthing 2.5 ST are also $20 at Jenson.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I have a set of 2.25 Ardents on my trail/FR bike, and absolutely love these tires. To start: I obviously don't expect a 60 durometer, 650 gram trail bike tire to have the same grip as a 3c, or super tacky minion. I do find that they still grip very well, and was especially surprised at how well they gripped in wet, slick, rooty situations. Due to them being on my FR bike I didn't shy away from any gaps or drops and even did some DH runs at my local hill on days that I was riding (not hiking tot he top) These tires are light and roll amazing well. The other area I was impressed in was there flat resistance. Ionly flatted them a couple times all year and they were wel earned flats. Another bonus is that after a full year of usage they still look almost new! To me this tire sets a new standard for a all mountain, light FR tire. I hope they keep making them for a long time.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I just got a set, and I have to say I never expected them to be a minion. there has to be a trade-off. I wanted lighter and less rolling resistance. It definately has those things, and I have been impressed with them so far. I have mainly ridden wet/tacky dirt, so we'll see how they do in the dry.
As far as tread pattern, they don't make sense to offer in a 2 ply version. I mean, they are meant to roll fast and obviously don't have the predictable cornering bite of a true dh tread pattern. Maybe that's why the 3c's are being blown out.

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
I haven't ridden them, but a friend who has said that you basically always need to be "on" them all the time, really aggressive in the turn to cross the gap and get the side knobs to bite in.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Geez, Guys, I am a bit scared... I've just got a pair of 2,4" 2ply 42a Ardents. They were going to replace Minions 2,35" 2ply 42a, which look on my bike a bt like CX tires :D

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
I have a set of 2.25 Ardents on my trail/FR bike, and absolutely love these tires. To start: I obviously don't expect a 60 durometer, 650 gram trail bike tire to have the same grip as a 3c, or super tacky minion. I do find that they still grip very well, and was especially surprised at how well they gripped in wet, slick, rooty situations. Due to them being on my FR bike I didn't shy away from any gaps or drops and even did some DH runs at my local hill on days that I was riding (not hiking tot he top) These tires are light and roll amazing well. The other area I was impressed in was there flat resistance. Ionly flatted them a couple times all year and they were wel earned flats. Another bonus is that after a full year of usage they still look almost new! To me this tire sets a new standard for a all mountain, light FR tire. I hope they keep making them for a long time.
I would/can make this exact same statement - I run it on the front w/ Advantage or Larson in rear - Great combo (for me anyway) on Vermont loam / rooty / wet trails. You do need to lay into them though - I have actually noticed a few roostertails from my front w/ this tire...

PS - haven't tried the larger sizes...

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Had the 2.4 3c dual ply,tried it up front and in back...terrible.
I don't wanna sound to mean,but it was honestly the worst tire i've ever ridden.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Hmmm. Where I ride (northern Rockies) the Ardent is the best tire I've used, as an all-around tire. it's the perfect combination of rolling speed, cornering traction and braking traction. I ride 2.25 front and rear most of the time, but if it's going to be really chunky for a big part of a ride then I run a 2.4 front. Single ply, 60A.

I haven't used one in a DH casing. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer it as a rear tire on a DH bike, for a pedally course.

You can't be lazy on the tire like you can on an ADvantage 2.25 or 2.4, or a Nevegal 2.35. There's a tread gap that can surprise you if you're not using it to drift the wheel.