Quantcast

McKenzie River Trail

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Yep:thumb:

Talked to Mike and they (him and the GF) are thinking of hitting PC on Saturday also, then camping near the trail head of McKenzine that night.

I have done some reserch.....there are tons of campsites at the start, middle, and end of the trail head.

Tim, have you figured out how long it will take you to get to MeKenzine from Portland? From reading some of the ride reports the earlier start the better to avoid the hikers.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Snacks, I'd say it's about 2 hours from Portland with some buffer. And, that's to the bottom. It's about 45 minutes solid from the freeway to the lower Ranger Station where most leave their cars for the shuttle.

30th huh? I'm so far in the red with the wife now that I might get killed for the insurance money.

Next weekend is Fromme, West Fork Teanaway the weekend after, why not OR the weekend after that?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Borneo, is there a good site or some place in MeKenzie Bridge were I can get the full 411 on doing the shuttle? Like parking and crap?

Thanks.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Snacks said:
Borneo, is there a good site or some place in MeKenzie Bridge were I can get the full 411 on doing the shuttle? Like parking and crap?

Thanks.
Parking is a non-issue. You can park at the ranger station at the bottom, or there are plenty of FS clearings and pull outs on the top.

gg

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
GG, missed you at Kettle. Awesome time. Going back for sure.

Yes, parking is a non-issue. I found most of my information by just using Google and putting in "McKenzie River" maps, etc. There's a lot of info out there.
Just park on the upstream side of the ranger station at McKenzie bridge and then make the 18 mile? drive up to the trailhead. The rangers at the station will be able to answer any last minute questions you may have. Parking there is pretty safe for your gear too. It's a very popular place to set up from.
Plan on about 4-4.5 hours on the trail to descend the full 25. make sure up top to go left around the lake through the lava fields. (Better route.)
After crossing the paved road the first time below the lake, there is a confusing intersection. Stay right, over the bridge instead of left and down. That will take you to an overlook by the falls on he wrong side of the river. After that, it's pretty straightforward.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Oh man I can hardly wait........hey Snacks is it time to go yet? Thanks for the info Borneo, excellent. Wish you ladies (Heidi and GG) could go. I see you on the board all the time but have no idea who you are in person.:( This will be an excellent weekend for me, I get to ride 2 cool places I have never been. :weee: :weee: :evil:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Evilbob, both Heidi and GG owe us a trip to our neck of the woods now(We've gone to theirs...). So, maybe we can peer pressure them to come out our way???
:)

(BTW: I heard that they are both really slow and just talk a good game.) hehehehe

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
PsychO!1 said:
Thanks for the info Snacks....We'll be there. Looking forward to riding PC for the first time too!
I haven't been on a ride with you since Green Mountain, I think more than a year ago, probably longer than that. :think: :think: Who else is going?

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Borneo said:
Evilbob, both Heidi and GG owe us a trip to our neck of the woods now(We've gone to theirs...). So, maybe we can peer pressure them to come out our way???
:)

(BTW: I heard that they are both really slow and just talk a good game.) hehehehe
Yup, I think they should come over here. As for the rumors that they are slow........I better just be quiet there maybe climbing involved :o:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Actually, I'm not sure about GG but Heidi could easily kick our butts all over the hill. Trying to get her and Derek to head our way. Though I may be going back for some upper Bend trail goodness in September.

BTW: I guess now it seems I may be in Whistler that weekend. Not to hijack the thread Skooks, but....

Back to the thread: make sure and stop for a while at the Blue Pool. It's pretty awesome. You'll hear the rushing river below the falls and then it will suddenly get quiet. That's because the river goes underground for a few miles in a lava tube. Very cool.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
so you guys are not going to cut me any slack even tho I was in a car accident last month? Fine, be that way. :)

the good news is I went for my first trail ride last night, ( finally got clearance from the doc) and it felt great. I was really worried it was going to hurt but :love: felt good.

Back to MRT. One thing to watch for is at the bottom of Clear Lake, although the trail sign points right you want to turn left. Otherwise you end up back up at the top of the lake.

Watch out for the lava rocks. It's like extra large cheese grater + sandpaper if you hit that stuff.

gg

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
BeerDemon said:
WOW! I really can't wait now. I'll prolly take us like 8 hours to get though the trail stopping for sights:)

EB; Right now it's just you, Kevin, myself, Mike and his lady, and Skookum. I'm trying to get a hold of Damon but he is MIA right now:rolleyes:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
PsychO!1 said:
Why do i get nervous when she says 'tiny climbs'? :cool:
LOL - no, I mean it - except for nearing that one place.... Seriously though, I hate to use the term DH for this trail because it's a day adventure even with a shuttle. It honestly will take probably 5 hours with a group. Seems wrong for 25 miles, huh? I think the elevation loss is only 1800' for all those miles. IT IS SO FUN THOUGH!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Heidi said:
LOL - no, I mean it - except for nearing that one place....
But that is the last climb right...... until we get near that other place, right......:think: :think: we totally trust you on this.......:evil:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Agreed. Think Skookum Flats, Middle Fork, Lewis River, etc river trails but 25 miles long.... We usually take about 4-4.5 but 5 is easily doable if you stop to smell the roses. Maybe 600-800 in total elevation "gain" on the descent? A little bit of gnar at the top and GG is right, the rocks will shred you if you even look at them wrong. But, the lower part is a riverside bomber pure XC style. Skookie will be in heaven. Too bad the weather was ****e when we had planned this to cap the spring Bend trip. Though Gray Butte was perfect that day.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Early works for me. Just tell me what time you want to start and i'll be there. (in fact i may just head down Saturday night and camp too....)

With the group we have let's plan on being on the trail for 6 hrs.

Thanks for the info from all the folks who have been there before, it's very helpful, you guys are the best.:)