Quantcast

measuring chain stretch

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Does anybody know precisely how a chain stretch checker tool thingamabobber works. I mean can I measure 7 links with an inside caliper and know if my chain is stretched or something like that. Better yet, does somebody want to measure a new chain with an inside caliper and let me know how far apart say 8 links are? Or if somebody can measure a park tool with an outside caliper and let me know what the limits are I think I can go from there. I've searched and didn't find anything too helpful so I thought I'd ask. I know it'd be easier to take my bike to a shop and have them use their little tool but by the time I get off work, and get my bike the shops are all closed. Besides I need a new thread to carry me though the rest of the day.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
look i'm sorry ok? like i feel bad for ya and that your SOL really sucks too .

although i would like a custom ATAMT (above the avitar message thing).:thumb:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm serious, does anybody with a pair of calipers know how far apart 8 links should be on a new chain? Is there any reason chain stretch can't be measured without the park tool?

Romeo

Chimp
May 20, 2002
You don't need the tool.

Each pair of links measures 1 inch. 24 links -- 12 pair -- come out to 12 inches. If they measure 12 1/8 inch or longer, it's time for a new chain.

leelikesbikes.com

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Or spend the $25 and buy a Park chain wear gauge. Probably one of the best bike tools I've bought.

The others being a pedal wrench and a cable & housing cutter.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
So they're exactly one inch. Thanks!

There's no need to spend 25 dollars on a hokey gage when I've got a $50 set of calipers that will do the job just fine.