Quantcast

Michy 2.8 F&R????

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've always sun a 2.8Mich in front with either a com24 in back or comp16 (when it finally came out). I don't know...just posting this to increase my post count.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was considering running the comp16 in front as well but for some reason I always figured it wouldn't be as stable as a comp32. I guess I'm just used to running fat tires in front. I'm thinking of giving the Minions front and rear a try in 2.7.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I second the Minions F&R in a 2.5 in 60D for all purpose tires. I just picked some up yesterday at my local bike shop. Way too expensive but I have to support by local bike shop. Can you believe $55 each? That is a bit much and that was with the buddy discount. They are usually $60 here locally. Ridiculous.....

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Supporting a business because you feel that you "ought to" only postpones the inevitable. I just picked up a Michelin Comp 16 2.5" from my LBS, and it cost me $45.
So now, I'm running 2.5" front Comp 16, rear Comp 24 cut. I think it will work well, but I just got the front tire on, and we've had snow and freezing rain so badly around here that even if I wanted to drive to the trailhead, I would not want to exit the car in biking attire.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Oh man, and I promised I would just stop posting on here because I naturally invite drama, not to mention all the well-intentioned, educated and yet neurotic people on here that make me want to ride more and surf less (so thank you in a backwards sort of way). Arghh. But, to follow through, the inevitable would be shop closure. It's an economic principle. Supporting businesses because of reasons other than they're a good business only hurts the economy. It's kinda like supporting domestic autos. When imports are cheaper and better, it just doesn't make sense to buy domestics, and yet people do it. Why? To support our economy, which in reality, they are actually hurting by doing so, for if they spent their money on imports, then we would try our hand at manufacturing something that we were better at producing, and they in turn would buy from us. It just doesn't make sense not to. But I'm done.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I agree. I just cant get over the prices of stuff at local bike shops. $60 for maxxis tires and $65-70 for Michelin.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kanter said:
I agree. I just cant get over the prices of stuff at local bike shops. $60 for maxxis tires and $65-70 for Michelin.
It's all about volume. Your bike shop may sell a couple a month maybe, while superhoe will sell dozens at least, if not hundreds. If the local bike shop sold that many they could afford to sell them for 10% over wholesale, instead of 100% over wholesale.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Well up here, a Michlein Comp32 tire is $89 cdn...plus 15% taxes. Minions 2.7 are $79cdn. Yeah ok, mail order forever!!!

I sorta feel bad that I don't really want to buy anything expensive from a shop but in the end, I gotta think about myself.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
My bro just hooked his Demo 9 up with a set of 2.8" Comp 32's. I'll ask him how they ride here shortly.

I do know that they're a BITCH to get onto Mavic EX729 rims though. He fought em' for probably 30 minutes to get the beads on there... :dead: