Quantcast

Mick Hannah on Mongoose

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I was skeptical when I first saw one. One of my buddies bought one and I got a chance to ride it, it felt good and you never notice the bb moving.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Not to knock this thread even further off the orginal topic, but does Mongoose sell a frameset for the EC-D?

I've googled it, but can't seem to come up with anything.

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
If Mongoose were smart, they'd be making sure a close relation to Mick had one of their bikes under her at every world cup round as well! Man I hope Tracey gets a ride this year - I mean who else is (or was) looking like being able to take it up to Rach? Someone get her on a decent team!

Last edited:

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
For whatever it's worth, Mick rode the bike a bit last week, and he said he thought it rode well, and was surprised with the feel. He still has to fully set the bike up, but he sounded excited with the first ride of the bike out of the box.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Is that really a good idea/design ?
Actually yeah, to the extent it helps combat chain growth and other common complaints with bike suspension, it is a good design.

The thrust of your argument is that it's not "normal" and that it's kinda sorta like a URT, but you have no real-world experience with which to contradict the opinions of people here who have actually ridden it and who have developed some respect here with prior posts.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how Hannah does this year.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Actually yeah, to the extent it helps combat chain growth and other common complaints with bike suspension, it is a good design.

The thrust of your argument is that it's not "normal" and that it's kinda sorta like a URT, but you have no real-world experience with which to contradict the opinions of people here who have actually ridden it and who have developed some respect here with prior posts.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how Hannah does this year.
Yes you're right the design will 'combat chain growth'. If that was a priority of the designer then it was a success. However, it was ONLY a success if chain growth was more important than isolating the rider from the movement of the suspension. I would have thought that isolating the rider from the terrain they are riding over would be the priority or main design criteria of any bicycle suspension designer ? Especially with DH bikes.

Yes I haven't ridden the bike but I have ridden URT's in the past. I even knew some people who actually liked them. At the time it was claimed by the proponents of URT designs that you shouldn't criticise them until you had ridden them. However, a widespread increase in the knowledge of the consumer and marketing by other companies offering other designs caused the URT to become almost extinct. Using your reasoning, even if on paper a URT design appears flawed, riders who are newer to the sport who perhaps encounter a proponent of URT's (maybe even a highly respected member of this forum) should ride a URT before formulating an opinion that on paper the design is totally flawed ?

If that were the case then there would be no such thing as progressional theoretical THINKING in the bike industry. Every new bike company would have to make prototypes of every type of suspension design that's come and gone. As real world testing of a product would be the only indication of performance.

Last edited:

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Yes you're right the design will 'combat chain growth'. If that was a priority of the designer then it was a success. However, it was ONLY a success if chain growth was more important than isolating the rider from the movement of the suspension. I would have thought that isolating the rider from the terrain they are riding over would be the priority or main design criteria of any bicycle suspension designer ? Especially with DH bikes.

Yes I haven't ridden the bike but I have ridden URT's in the past. I even knew some people who actually liked them. At the time it was claimed by the proponents of URT designs that you shouldn't criticise them until you had ridden them. However, a widespread increase in the knowledge of the consumer and marketing by other companies offering other designs caused the URT to become almost extinct. Using your reasoning, even if on paper a URT design appears flawed, riders who are newer to the sport who perhaps encounter a proponent of URT's (maybe even a highly respected member of this forum) should ride a URT before formulating an opinion that on paper the design is totally flawed ?

If that were the case then there would be no such thing as progressional theoretical in the bike industry. Every new bike company would have to make prototypes of every type of suspension design that's come and gone. As real world testing of a product would be the only indication of performance.
to get this on topic a bit

want to welcome Mick to the team.....i have tried for years to get him on as part of our program ....i saw him rip at worlds in 2000 in Spain as a JR and knew he was going to be a ripper....he is refocused and ready to get some results....i think he has a legit shot at a worlds podium this year if he is healthy and fit.

JCL:

its hard to argue with a product that we continue to sell a bunch of...even better is the fact that a lot of our sales are return customers...

people (pay attention here) who have actually ridden the bike seem to like it a lot.

is our bike the plushest bike ever...probably not , will it win the fastest bike through the gnarliest rock garden known to man, probably not..but,

the bike does allow you to pump through sections, pedal like no other suspension bike, and lets the rider have a more reactive bike then some of the super plush motorcycle without an engine types,

a lot of riders like how the bike feels, they like a bike that they can maneuver a lot easier, and our sales back that up, so

let it go... you've made your point others have commented back, just let it go, deep breaths buddy, you'll be alright.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Mongoose did not have a DH bike at the time so A. EC liked the way a turner rode and used one with Mongoose stickers or B. Mongoose had some sort of relationship with Turner and they used Turners with Mongoose stickers.

Maybe you are a little grom or new to the scene but a while back every rider and thier little brother, sister, cousin and grandpa rode Intense M1's with thier sponsors stickers on them.

Lopes with his intense/mongoose

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Good luck to Mick then :wave:
contrary to popular belief, WC most racers don't have their bikes set up to be super plush through rock gardens. a nice, comfy bike is not necessarily a fast bike on a race course and most of those guys are able to carry enough speed to skim over the top of rough sections. a squishy bike slows you down.

Neethling kills it on a Mongoose and is one of the smoothest, fastest, and most stylish riders out there. 'nuff said

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
contrary to popular belief, WC most racers don't have their bikes set up to be super plush through rock gardens. a nice, comfy bike is not necessarily a fast bike on a race course and most of those guys are able to carry enough speed to skim over the top of rough sections. a squishy bike slows you down.

Neethling kills it on a Mongoose and is one of the smoothest, fastest, and most stylish riders out there. 'nuff said
It's got nothing to do with the bike being squishy or firm. It's whether the suspension design works well or not. I appreciate Andrew Neethling's ability. My point is would he be even more competitive on another design.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It's got nothing to do with the bike being squishy or firm. It's whether the suspension design works well or not. I appreciate Andrew Neethling's ability. My point is would he be even more competitive on another design.
dude give it a rest. You clearly don't understand how the design works. Like others have said before you, it is NOT URT. the cranks do not move with axle. The cranks move, but it is an extremely slight movement. Abstract discussions aside you've never even ridden the fuggin thing.

Mongoose is just as competitive as other companies.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Unfortunately we don't know that.

Anyway in his last WC season Mick won at Vigo. Let's wait and see how he gets on this year :)
Uh we do know that. Needles has had better results on his mongoose than he did before on his DHR, wildly different bikes. It is also clear that he is much more confident on it as well from watching him ride.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
dude give it a rest. You clearly don't understand how the design works. Like others have said before you, it is NOT URT. the cranks do not move with axle. The cranks move, but it is an extremely slight movement. Abstract discussions aside you've never even ridden the fuggin thing.

Mongoose is just as competitive as other companies.
This is a pretty funny one. "the cranks do not move with axle" - "the cranks move"

If the cranks move then what are they moving in relation too ?

It's obvious the BB does move in relation to the rear axle or it simply wouldn't work.

I can't find a good side profile photo of the DH bikes rear end but form what I can tell, looking at the pivot location and shock stroke, the BB must move at least 2" relative to the main frame (or your hands) from static to fully compressed.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Uh we do know that. Needles has had better results on his mongoose than he did before on his DHR, wildly different bikes. It is also clear that he is much more confident on it as well from watching him ride.
Fair point.

You could argue that he's just getting better but still, fair point.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Good luck to Mick then :wave:
its clever how you only include the parts that suit the point your trying to make.... this platform may not be something you would like...the suspension might not suit your style...but it does a lot of riders out there.

fact:

you can make all the claims and assumptions you want ...but as you stated.....you have NEVER rode the bike

hopefully we can all stop responding to this azzhat after this.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
its clever how you only include the parts that suit the point your trying to make.... this platform may not be something you would like...the suspension might not suit your style...but it does a lot of riders out there.

fact:

you can make all the claims and assumptions you want ...but as you stated.....you have NEVER rode the bike

The points I'm arguing are valid whether I've ridden the bike or not.

You haven't got a piss in the wind at a to counter anything I've said except "you have never rode (ridden?) the bike". If you're going to come back with a counter argument to my points then do, otherwise don't give me all this 'you haven't ridden the bike' crap.

I might weld up a nice single pivot next week with the main pivot under the middle of the toptube. Then post some pics on here and state that it's great and nobody can argue otherwise because they haven't ridden it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
This is a pretty funny one. "the cranks do not move with axle" - "the cranks move"

If the cranks move then what are they moving in relation too ?

It's obvious the BB does move in relation to the rear axle or it simply wouldn't work.

I can't find a good side profile photo of the DH bikes rear end but form what I can tell, looking at the pivot location and shock stroke, the BB must move at least 2" relative to the main frame (or your hands) from static to fully compressed.
I just took the time to type up a response and explain that the BB doesn't move at the same rate as the swingarm, but then decided against it. If you can't figure that out but still bash it, if you haven't ridden it but still bash it, and you tell people who are doing quite well (see: Eric Carter) and had a helping hand in designing the bike that they're wrong, then you're just being contentious.

I'm done.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
:rofl:

I've owned both an EC DH and the older I-Drive and I loved both bikes. The cranks move.....it's noticeable mostly when sitting and spinning.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
The points I'm arguing are valid whether I've ridden the bike or not.

You haven't got a piss in the wind at a to counter anything I've said except "you have never rode (ridden?) the bike". If you're going to come back with a counter argument to my points then do, otherwise don't give me all this 'you haven't ridden the bike' crap.

I might weld up a nice single pivot next week with the main pivot under the middle of the toptube. Then post some pics on here and state that it's great and nobody can argue otherwise because they haven't ridden it.
that's because I'm not trying to counter you...hey captain obvious everyone agrees there is movement in the cranks, yes the bb moves when the rear wheel does. yes the main pivot is not on the front triangle,

now what?

I've even told you it isn't the super plush couch bike designed for leaning back with your eyes closed.

it's funny but seems like your the only one arguing the "points"

this bike isn't for everyone.....i don't think there is a bike that is?

if you like to ride a bike that maneuvers really well, that you can easily manual and still soaks up the bumps this bike will fit that...it isn't a lean back and plow bike, nor was it designed to be.

From what i can see here is everyone who has ridden the bike likes the way the bike feels and likes the way they ride......i don't think everyone of these people are first time buyers of a DH bike and went with the Mongoose......

many of these are guys who have had what i will call traditional style DH bikes...or guys who get to test many bikes and they like these as much or better.

think about it....a rider gets to choose which bike he likes and they keep coming back and buying them, i know guys who can afford any bike they want and have gotten off the $3500 frame set bikes to ride these bikes after test riding a buddies.

how do you argue with that?

there is nothing else for me to say on this, that wouldn't be a waste of my time.

im done

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I just took the time to type up a response and explain that the BB doesn't move at the same rate as the swingarm, but then decided against it. If you can't figure that out but still bash it, if you haven't ridden it but still bash it, and you tell people who are doing quite well (see: Eric Carter) and had a helping hand in designing the bike that they're wrong, then you're just being contentious.

I'm done.
I never said the BB moves at the same rate as the swingarm (rear axle). I said 'relative to the rear axle. Meaning that the BB is related to the movement of the axle. The rear axle is moving in a vertical plane, the BB a more horizontal plane. Both are obviously shallow arc's not planes, as was noted earlier in the thread. But I think it helps with the visualization to think of linear motion in this instance.

You're point about Eric Carter is interesting. I'm sure the bike will accelerate very well. Therefore as a 4X bike the design the design is probably rather good. However, a 4X bike is not a DH bike.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
that's because I'm not trying to counter you...hey captain obvious everyone agrees there is movement in the cranks, yes the bb moves when the rear wheel does. yes the main pivot is not on the front triangle,

now what?

I've even told you it isn't the super plush couch bike designed for leaning back with your eyes closed.

it's funny but seems like your the only one arguing the "points"

this bike isn't for everyone.....i don't think there is a bike that is?

if you like to ride a bike that maneuvers really well, that you can easily manual and still soaks up the bumps this bike will fit that...it isn't a lean back and plow bike, nor was it designed to be.

From what i can see here is everyone who has ridden the bike likes the way the bike feels and likes the way they ride......i don't think everyone of these people are first time buyers of a DH bike and went with the Mongoose......

many of these are guys who have had what i will call traditional style DH bikes...or guys who get to test many bikes and they like these as much or better.

think about it....a rider gets to choose which bike he likes and they keep coming back and buying them, i know guys who can afford any bike they want and have gotten off the $3500 frame set bikes to ride these bikes after test riding a buddies.

how do you argue with that?

there is nothing else for me to say on this, that wouldn't be a waste of my time.

im done
Well, If that's really the case then I should ride one.

BTW the majority of my posts are responses to people misquoting what I was saying about the design.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It is a high single pivot with a floating bb. Seems like the floating bb part is throwing you off a bit BUT it doesn't float enough to be a problem. It floats just enough to decrease/fine tune pedal kickback and pedaling. When you see one in action then you realize that the bb doesn't move very much. I wasn't much into these bikes and then I saw how well it works for Romo riding trails I built and now I think it is quite an interesting design. Theories are theories but what if the bb doesn't move as much as you thought?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Well, If that's really the case then I should ride one.

BTW the majority of my posts are responses to people misquoting what I was saying about the design.
yup. i am still in awe of how long it took you to accept this fact though.

and i think the boot'r will be perfect for Mick Hannah's riding style. ever seen the way he uses his bike?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You're point about Eric Carter is interesting.

and happens to be one of the people you are trying soooo hard to argue with.

Whatever your goal here is (other than just to hear yourself talk), your continued assumptions and incorrect descriptions of the frame dynamics makes you come across as an overzealous first year ME student. You think you know so much, but unfortunately you dont actually understand much....

People are not mis-quoting you...you are making gross assumptions and incorrect statements about something that you do not understand. Whether that is what you have (repeatedly) ment to say or not, you have.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think he needs more support than Banshee could offer. They probably got some feedback and Mick got a bike for a quick race. Doesn't seem like they would have the budget to have someone like him.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
and happens to be one of the people you are trying soooo hard to argue with.

Whatever your goal here is (other than just to hear yourself talk), your continued assumptions and incorrect descriptions of the frame dynamics makes you come across as an overzealous first year ME student. You think you know so much, but unfortunately you dont actually understand much....

People are not mis-quoting you...you are making gross assumptions and incorrect statements about something that you do not understand. Whether that is what you have (repeatedly) ment to say or not, you have.
Well thanks for helping me understand how incorrect my statements and descriptions were...

Anyway I'll f**k off now and come back when I've remembered that you can only give massive props to everyone and everything in this big old love-in that is 'the bike industry' :thumb: