Quantcast

Mid-atlantic Early season lift serve

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Does anyone open before the end of May? I drove by Wisp last weekend and it looked like it was finished for the year. Seems like such a waste to keep trying to spray ice on those slopes when they are much funner to ride the trails between on a bike. I don't really want to wait two months for lift serve dh.

Maybe I should buy a shuttle rig.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Plattekill and diablo both open the first weekend of May I believe (plattekill might be the last weekend of april).

Those might be too "northeast" for you though, since you're looking for mid-atlantic.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
wisp may be clear of snow, but the trails are still probably a soggy mess.
It's a real shame that they're cutting back the race schedule at Wisp. I understand the decision if all they are looking at is last season's turnout numbers, but I think they got hosed by bad weather and by scheduling conflicts with other major races.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
It's a real shame that they're cutting back the race schedule at Wisp. I understand the decision if all they are looking at is last season's turnout numbers, but I think they got hosed by bad weather and by scheduling conflicts with other major races.
Wisp may host one other event at the end of the season and, if so, will be a part of the Deep Creek Games. The decision to scale back was mainly to focus all the efforts into the Capital Cup and the other summer programs.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I'll definitely be at the CC. Always a good time up there. If it's possible for something as hectic as a dh race to be described as relaxing, Wisp does it. Between the hero dirt you guys import for the pleasure of the mountain bike community, everybody chilling under the trees at the top waiting for their runs, and the 15 minute naps on the lift, I end sunday refreshed and ready to face my week. Just wish they'd sell me a beer in the village.