Quantcast

Mini DH bike thread.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If they can get the chainstays short enough, that thing will slay.
The problem with that design in a trail bike is that the suspension forces you to move the tire back making it handle like crap at anything other than DH speed.
I trust Dave will get it right though.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Here is my new project:

Only I plan to have a few changes:

2010 Boxxer WC chipped doen to 7"
I9 DH on 721
SRAM X0
RaceFace Atlas FR Crankset
Sunline Bar/ Stem
Formula The One

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If they can get the chainstays short enough, that thing will slay.
The problem with that design in a trail bike is that the suspension forces you to move the tire back making it handle like crap at anything other than DH speed.
I trust Dave will get it right though.
They're currently saying 17.1 with a 14.1 BB height. That may change, but sounds good so far.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
They're currently saying 17.1 with a 14.1 BB height. That may change, but sounds good so far.
I've gotten to used to a sub 14" BB on my AM bike that I don't think I could ever go back. Lower it!!!

That Morewood looks ILL. Too bad it doesn't look climbing friendly.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've gotten to used to a sub 14" BB on my AM bike that I don't think I could ever go back. Lower it!!!

That Morewood looks ILL. Too bad it doesn't look climbing friendly.
I'd like a way lower BB too. I'm used to 13.7-.5, depending how I set things up.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I'd like a way lower BB too. I'm used to 13.7-.5, depending how I set things up.
what are you riding currently, what size tires? I'm on a 6point with a bb of 13.75 and it feels tall at 160

btw, turner's measurement is with 2.5's and mine is with 2.35's, so the actual turner BB with 2.35 and 10mm more travel would be equal to my 6point. i think that's why BB drop is a more effective measurement than bb height.

Last edited:

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Juan the frame is basically based on the Makulu platform, running a shorter shock [9.5 x 3"] reducing the travel. The final version [not pictured] will have a revised, slimmer downtube and a few small changes. It should be a winner, travel is at 7", tapered steerer, really aimed as a multi purpose bike rather than a dedicated DH slead. Will definitely be an awesome park bike, and for me a great DH bike for the South African tracks.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Juan the frame is basically based on the Makulu platform, running a shorter shock [9.5 x 3"] reducing the travel. The final version [not pictured] will have a revised, slimmer downtube and a few small changes. It should be a winner, travel is at 7", tapered steerer, really aimed as a multi purpose bike rather than a dedicated DH slead. Will definitely be an awesome park bike, and for me a great DH bike for the South African tracks.
Sick. Guessing we'll get more pics and details after Interbike?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Eurobike? Geore Bush said Europe was a nice country so I'm guessing this bike thingy is OK too.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
how are you guys running DHX Air finding the shock in the really rough stuff?
does it help your mini dh bike get back up the hill better?

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
so all that "heating up" stuff has been fixed on the newer gen DHX Air? whats the platform like when pedalling? thinking of swapping out the DHX 3 coil for a DHX Air on a Reign X,

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I don't have any "heating up stuff" and I have some very long lift accessed runs out the back door but I have a lot of support to get them running sweet. The RC4 is a much better shock if you are going to buy a new shock. If you still want a DHX air then I could tell you the mods that were done to mine to get where it charges.

erikbnash

Chimp
Aug 11, 2009
Just finished this build today. Replaces my stolen Heckler, but I have a feeling I will be much happier with this. Going out tomorrow morning to work out the bugs...

2009 Morewood Muzi in Medium w/DHX 5.0 Coil
2008 Talas RC2 36
Chris King Headset 1.5 Green
Thomson Elite 30.9 Setback Post
Salsa Post Clamp Green
Specialized Rival 143 Seat
Easton Monkey Lite Carbon Bars
ODI Ruffian Grips
XT Brakes, Shifters, Front and Rear Derailleurs
Transition Temple Lite 1.5X50 Stem
XT Crankset converted to 36/22 Double w/Bashguard
Chris King Bottom Bracket Green
Sunline V1 Pedals/XTR Clipless Pedals
XTR Chain
XT Cassette
Chris King Hubs Green
Mavic EN521 Rims
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC Front Tire
Kenda Small Block Eight 2.35 DTC Rear Tire

Last edited:

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
Intense Slopestyle Medium w/ DHX 5.0
Rockshox Lyrik Coil U-turn
Mavic 721's on Hope Pro II's
Truvativ Hussefelt 170mm cranks w/ Howitzer Team BB
Truvativ Howitzer Seatpost 400mm w/ WTB Pure V saddle
Spec. Chunder 2.3 dual ply tires
Avid Code 5s 203mm F and R
E.13 Steelguide with MRP bash (smaller 32t size)
FSA Orbit Z 1.5r headset
Sunline V1 all-mountain stem 65mm
Sunline V1 handlebars
Wellgo Mg-1 pedals
Sram Attack shifter w/ Shimano LX Derailleur (this will be upgraded when I save up the cash)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
here's mine. It's also my XC rig. I just switch the seatpost to my gravity dropper and back to my xc wheels and tubeless tires.