Quantcast

Mistake getting the 951

My God Brian, are you sleep deprived or just drunker than a monkey's uncle? What was all that drivel? If they heard you talk like that at work, this guy would pants you and strap you to the sign up top with Bib's finger firmly stuffed in your vag!
I don't care who you are Brian, that is some funny $hit right there^^

Maybe you should just get a V10 as well, that you will have both. Skip the
M6, it sits too low for you.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
Are you actually afraid of testing a bike?

I always buy new bikes untested and sometimes they do not fit my riding style. Well, get another one then.

I do not know what those WC riders you talked to said about the frame, but I have ridden some of the best frames out there and I am no racer but I can tell you that no frame is perfect.

The 951 is the best frame I ever had the pleasure to ride with. V10 was absolutely not my thing.

951 is totally fine in the beginning but for my taste it is a bit too progressive. To be able to use full travel you will have to use a soft spring and ride with a lot of sag.
The VPP2 System also likes to hit stones because the rear is VERY low.
Those were my bad issues.

The good ones are that it pedals quite good, corners absolutely great, even better then the sunday, takes those big bumps like no other bike and the RC4 fits the frame great, which means that you can adopt to any track in the world.
I have to say that I love those slack frames and that I ride a 63° HA with a reducer angle kit.

What I like most, is that the frame doesn't slow down in very fast bumpy root sections. I hated that about the sunday. And btw it is amazingly lightweight

Give it a try!

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
Exactly. I spent a year staring at geo charts and classified ads before I finally bought my Zumbi and now I realize that there are so many fantastic frames out there it's hard to get one you actually dislike. I even rode one of the other bikes I was considering since I bought mine and even though I liked the other one even better I'm not disappointed with my choice at all. Bikes are supposed to be fun, not stressful, so I would say try to stop worrying and get 'er dirty.

I was in the same boat. I didn't have access to test ride any of the upper end bikes that I was interested in, so had a really hard time pulling the trigger on my first serious big bike. I ended up getting two frames and building both. Truthfully, I was pretty worried about having too much bike or not getting the right bike for my riding style, but I quickly figured out that I could adapt to either bike and that there weren't night and day differences between them.

As long as you are having fun on it, who cares if you'll ever ride it to it's full potential. Who cares what anyone else thinks. If you are enjoying it, it's right for you and money well spent.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
When I saw the title I thought this thread was gonna be a joke.

Or maybe somebody got the wrong size.

Seriously though, complaining before you even build it up....

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
For Christ's sake people. I'M NOT COMPLAINING!!!! It was a question out of curiosity more then anything. It's a brand new frame design and I was just curious if an old, fat, no skill rider like myself would be happy with a such a high performing "For Race Only" machine. Or maybe perhaps that I would be more happy with something a little more forgiven.

But I have since come to see the error in my thinking and it will be built. Thank you for those of you monkey's that actually understood where I was coming from.

Now, does anyone want to buy an unused Fox RC4 shock taken off from a 951?

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
As far as the negatives that I have heard, well, let's just say that it wasn't the frame design or construction of it. The wrinkle has been ironed out and there will be NO issues at all for me (or anyone else) to worry about.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As far as the negatives that I have heard, well, let's just say that it wasn't the frame design or construction of it.
So what does this leave us with? I can't think of anything else besides wrong color. :confused:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Is it a superlight frame with dent-prone tubing? Personally, I'm glad I had a bit more of a truck-bike when I was crashing a lot...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Is it a superlight frame with dent-prone tubing? Personally, I'm glad I had a bit more of a truck-bike when I was crashing a lot...
If I remember correctly it was still heavier by a fair bit than the socom but the FRO tubing does tend to dent easily, even on the m6 which is avreage weight. Still I belive that if you can live with the dents at that weight it should be ok.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
As far as the negatives that I have heard, well, let's just say that it wasn't the frame design or construction of it. The wrinkle has been ironed out and there will be NO issues at all for me (or anyone else) to worry about.
So you were worried about the negatives, but now you say the negatives are not an issue. Come on, give it up. You can't get off the hook that easy. What was the problem and what was fixed?

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
My buddies Medium 951 came in at 10.25lbs with a 450lb steel spring and a RC4. My medium M6 is 11.11lbs with a 450lb steel spring and a Revox. A medium V10 comes in around 10.4lbs. With that being said, I wouldn't worry about durability.

pager72

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
Hi,

Just to clear up a few points here as pople don't post the truth sometimes which can create some negativity.
I am the CRC/Intense team manager. The reason the team riders changed back to their M6 evos was not because the 951 sucks! I have one, which I chose over the M6 as I don't ride as hard and fast as the top world cups guys and I am sure most of you guys on here or buying bikes don't. (no offence) The reason they changed back was because the M6 IS a more stable bike on a very rough world cup track at the speed the top riders are going. This doesn't mean the 951 isn't a good bike. It is easily good enough for 99% of the riders out there. The 951 is a bit quicker on certain tracks and is as good as most of the other brands DH bikes so if you have bought one or thinking of buying one. You won't be diassapointed. I love mine.
If you check results Chris Kovarik rode his 951 at the wheels of speed in Willingen (which has some big rock sections and is very high speed) to 3rd place just behind Gee Atherton and Mick Hannah. Chris also placed 14th at Fort William world cup on his 951. That was the first weekend he even rode one.
If we had enough spares and capacity to take more stuff to races, Chris would have both his 951 and M6 Evo built up and would swap between the 2. Ideally Chris would have used his 951 for some of the events this week at Crankworx.
So anyway. If you have bought a 951 you will love it, get out and ride instead of worrying about it on here!
Cheers
Nigel Page

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I been riding a 951 the last 2 days...I am biased, but the bike is unreal for any trail I have ridden on it here in whistler.
Ride it, you will love it.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Brian, I picked up on this thread a little late. Maybe we should trade bikes. The Uzzi VPX is a proven fat/old/slow guy frame but I'm willing to take one for the team so you can unload that 951 on me. Enjoy my Uzzi, it's been to Whistler twice and survived the Exit38 trails in the PNW.

Seriously, if it's like every other Intense I've ridden you will love the thing and ride the crap out of it. It won't happen soon but I decided the 951 will be my next bike.
BTW, give me a ring if you want to come down to Big Creek and ride.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Hi,

Just to clear up a few points here as pople don't post the truth sometimes which can create some negativity.
I am the CRC/Intense team manager. The reason the team riders changed back to their M6 evos was not because the 951 sucks! I have one, which I chose over the M6 as I don't ride as hard and fast as the top world cups guys and I am sure most of you guys on here or buying bikes don't. (no offence) The reason they changed back was because the M6 IS a more stable bike on a very rough world cup track at the speed the top riders are going. This doesn't mean the 951 isn't a good bike. It is easily good enough for 99% of the riders out there. The 951 is a bit quicker on certain tracks and is as good as most of the other brands DH bikes so if you have bought one or thinking of buying one. You won't be diassapointed. I love mine.
If you check results Chris Kovarik rode his 951 at the wheels of speed in Willingen (which has some big rock sections and is very high speed) to 3rd place just behind Gee Atherton and Mick Hannah. Chris also placed 14th at Fort William world cup on his 951. That was the first weekend he even rode one.
If we had enough spares and capacity to take more stuff to races, Chris would have both his 951 and M6 Evo built up and would swap between the 2. Ideally Chris would have used his 951 for some of the events this week at Crankworx.
So anyway. If you have bought a 951 you will love it, get out and ride instead of worrying about it on here!
Cheers
Nigel Page
Wow. It's pretty cool to hear from you on this Nigel... I've been on a Slopestyle for a few months now and absolutly love it. Since you had a huge hand in it's design, can you give me a broad opinion on how a 951 will feel under me? They're obviously quite different, but I want a DH rig that rides in a similar manner... I'm almost certain to get one at some point, so your input would be pretty sweet! :)

Sorry for the derailment.

Hi,

Cheers
Nigel Page

And this is why Brian didn't make any comments on the situation, he's in the industry (well, he used to be, I think he now plays with airplane tires, but he is still very "connected" to the industry) and perhaps he didn't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Which the internet is great for doing.

So I for one applaud him for not sharing what he heard, he's letting Nigel do the talking since Mr. Page is about as direct as one can get.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
And this is why Brian didn't make any comments on the situation, he's in the industry (well, he used to be, I think he now plays with airplane tires, but he is still very "connected" to the industry) and perhaps he didn't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Which the internet is great for doing.

So I for one applaud him for not sharing what he heard, he's letting Nigel do the talking since Mr. Page is about as direct as one can get.
So why did he start this thread in the first place then? If he is/was in the industry he should know better and instead talked to his friends that told him the bike has negatives instead of posting here.

Just my 2 cents.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I guess you are eating your words? LOL
:bonk:
I dont remember saying those words. Can you PM me the URL. Maybe I need a reminder. I think it was when Intense wouldnt warranty my BRAND new bearings. They were overtightened from Intense.

Yes, I HAD a Socom. But Im gonna try a 951 with a HammerSchmidt next.

Last edited:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
I dont remember saying those words. Can you PM me the URL. Maybe I need a reminder. I think it was when Intense wouldnt warranty my BRAND new bearings. They were overtightened from Intense.

Yes, I HAD a Socom. But Im gonna try a 951 with a HammerSchmidt next.
That was about 3 days ago when we were exchanging PM's about getting HS to work on your Socom. You were p*ssed about Intense customer service.

951 looks like a great bike. Too bad it came out after I got my Jedi. Have fun with it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ahhh, thats right. Well, after a lot of phone calls and emails, Intense is hooking me up. Their customer service is fair. Im back to lovin Intense.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
Do the 951 have greaseable bearings on the lower pivots? I ride mainly at Snowshoe and everytime I've been there this year it's been a wash. The bearings on my M3 are paying the price.