Quantcast

***moandaze GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nope. Never let go of the bars kind of crash. Then followed by making rings for happy couples. The type of metalsmithing I do is incredibly hard on one’s hands. I suspect @HardtailHack has a good understanding of similar hand abuse.
never said anything about crashing. rotating your bars in the stem even slightly will alter the contact/pressure points in your hands, including your thumbs. its in the ergonomics. might also be worth looking into bars with different back & up sweep.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yes I am serious, and dont call me shirley.....

Yesterdays arts and crafts project turned out well.

Before

View attachment 209783

Le after

View attachment 209784

two down, three more to go. I will reuse them once I get the shop built but will put painted plywood doors on them to clean it up a bit.

Purchased the plans off etsy so you dont have to

Download away!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WvS937V8WE_biv17bGhm7Om8LJ6GF4Ig/view?usp=sharing

Back to the lumber store today for another load and a fresh saw blade for the saw. I would say each rack runs around 100 bucks for the lumber.

In other news,

I got knocked the fuck out by the door of the sooper doody when a gust of wind clapped my noggin. that was fun.
This looks dope, and Teh Spousal Unit™ and I both have been wanting for some better garage organization. I'mma chuck this idea at her... could be a winner. How stable are these racks? Did you anchor to the wall? Did you use pocket hole jog or just screw it all together?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nope. Never let go of the bars kind of crash. Then followed by making rings for happy couples. The type of metalsmithing I do is incredibly hard on one’s hands. I suspect @HardtailHack has a good understanding of similar hand abuse.
Yeah when my right thumb was at its worst I would have rather had broken ribs or a a collarbone, it was agony for months. Turning door knobs and car keys without using your thumb sucks!

I got my TRP shifter last week and it is fucking amazing for ergonomics.

Years ago I hurt my nut bag and got prescribed Mobic, it fixed my man bits and my thumbs at the same time. But at that point my thumbs were not nearly at their worst, I need to get more Mobic stuff, it works wonders for me.

Do you sleep in a thumb brace at all? That made a massive difference for me.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
This looks dope, and Teh Spousal Unit™ and I both have been wanting for some better garage organization. I'mma chuck this idea at her... could be a winner. How stable are these racks? Did you anchor to the wall? Did you use pocket hole jog or just screw it all together?
Just a cordless nailgun and skilsaw for everything. I did throw a nail on each end in the top to the wall for some lateral stability, didnt want to over do it being it was in a storage unit but 2 nails into the wall holds just fine.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I’d be tired after that many milkshakes, too. In other news, in case you weren’t aware, Washington DC is very old and historical. Lots and lots of plaques and shit. Just be aware of that.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yesterday for Easter luncheon, Wife and I went to Parkville Market (<-- link) and met a couple of friends. I ordered from the Brazilian place and had a beef kebob with fries and kale (figured I needed a veggie). I followed that up with a fried Oreo sundae from the Sno 'N Dough place. We got home from that at 2:00 and then I fell asleep on the couch. Best Easter ever. Speaking of 6500 calories.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Yesterday for Easter luncheon, Wife and I went to Parkville Market (<-- link) and met a couple of friends. I ordered from the Brazilian place and had a beef kebob with fries and kale (figured I needed a veggie). I followed that up with a fried Oreo sundae from the Sno 'N Dough place. We got home from that at 2:00 and then I fell asleep on the couch. Best Easter ever. Speaking of 6500 calories.
Well that sounds incredible except for the fucking kale

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just heard back from our CMO. Really positive feedback after he say the interview. "She is very well spoken for her age. You can see the drive in her body language. ... Please stay in touch."

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
So my cousin is telling me about the time my dad dressed up as the Easter bunny and my uncle pretended to kill him with a shotgun as a joke. The most amazing part of this is my dad dressed up as the Easter bunny.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Teh Spousal Unit™ just ordered us a sweet looking pergola for our patio. I'll be here in a couple weeks, but as busy as we are the last couple of weekends in April who knows when we'll get it built. It's gonna be awesome, though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Teh Spousal Unit™ just ordered us a sweet looking pergola for our patio. I'll be here in a couple weeks, but as busy as we are the last couple of weekends in April who knows when we'll get it built. It's gonna be awesome, though.

i have a pergola sitting on a pallet in my driveway awaiting assembly. what did you go with?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Matt and I were volunteered into helping put up Hirsch's, I nominate them :p

gonefirefightin

free wieners
After exactly 37 seconds of research, we decided on a 16x12 Backyard Discovery Beaumont pergola from Lowe's. Looks sturdy, has good reviews, made out of cedar, and is a classic style that we both liked. Why fuck it up with a bunch of hemming and hawing?

Correct.
Crazy jeebus, they charge a lot for those thangs, thats prob less than a grand worth of lumber, the rest must be brackets and ikea esq- instructions for those without framing abilities.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
After exactly 37 seconds of research, we decided on a 16x12 Backyard Discovery Beaumont pergola from Lowe's. Looks sturdy, has good reviews, made out of cedar, and is a classic style that we both liked. Why fuck it up with a bunch of hemming and hawing?

Correct.
as much as i like cedar, it still ages poorly around here, more upkeep than i wanted to deal with. we went with aluminum:

and since GFF will ask, we paid notably less through costco.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Crazy jeebus, they charge a lot for those thangs, thats prob less than a grand worth of lumber, the rest must be brackets and ikea esq- instructions for those without framing abilities.
And time. Gotta pay for time too. Someone else has done all the bumbling and fumbling, sometimes ain't nobody got time for dat.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yeah when my right thumb was at its worst I would have rather had broken ribs or a a collarbone, it was agony for months. Turning door knobs and car keys without using your thumb sucks!

I got my TRP shifter last week and it is fucking amazing for ergonomics.

Years ago I hurt my nut bag and got prescribed Mobic, it fixed my man bits and my thumbs at the same time. But at that point my thumbs were not nearly at their worst, I need to get more Mobic stuff, it works wonders for me.

Do you sleep in a thumb brace at all? That made a massive difference for me.
Yeah, doing basic stuff has been painful with tendinitis in my other elbow. Gone from being able to snap a pair of pliers in half to nearly crying opening a bag of chips.

Probably should be sleeping in a thumb brace.