Quantcast

Mocking Funday...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
in case anyone cares, here's my take on what it is:

SDR is graded on a standard scale of "dim screen" (not truly black) to 100 nits, iirc.

HDR content is graded on a variable brightness scale. most are from 0-1000 on the assumption that consumer grade monitors/TVs can't produce even 1000 nits constantly, which was true until recently. standard HDR has one basically gamma curve defining brightness of each and every frame in the whole movie or show.

this is suboptimal because different scenes may well be lighted differently and thus benefit from being graded differently. thus there are technologies to allow for frame-by-frame different grading. one of these standards is HDR 10+, for which there's little content. the other is Dolby Vision, which is a licensed tech but with a very low fee per unit iirc.

Cliffs Notes: HDR will get you black blacks if your TV is calibrated properly and can do HDR content. but to get the truly dazzling highlights and not compromise the mapping of brightness elsewhere you should be using Dolby Vision, and if you aren't your life is just that the much poorer for it

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
come on over sometime and I'll cook a fancy steak and we can watch some Dune. offer's open to any of you CO locals eh

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But does it, really? Or are you just taking the piss? :D
My wife won't let me hook up my speakers because she feels the TV is loud enough already. :rofl:

I have a very nice 5.1 speaker set sitting in a box in my closet that was really nice when I had my setup. She doesn't feel the need for surround anything.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My wife won't let me hook up my speakers because she feels the TV is loud enough already. :rofl:

I have a very nice 5.1 speaker set sitting in a box in my closet that was really nice when I had my setup. She doesn't feel the need for surround anything.
I had 5.1. went 5.1.4 for Atmos and made that .1 a giant-ass sub from its piddling little sub.

that's a 15" driver for scale.

428511.jpg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Jeezus. I mean... that's going a little overboard. 'Cause TV speakers (quality-wise) make Baby Jesus cry. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
This is @stevew we’re talking about. His TV probably still has rabbit ears and only gets twelve channels.
no....

certain shit...live tv....almost never

amazon prime video...never watch
disney +.....for star wars shit that inever watch...
netflix....never watch
hulu...just to watch mash
hbo max....sopranos/the wire
youtube....certain alternative housing channels and photography related shit.

mostly turn it on a nod on and off.