Quantcast

Moderate drop stem options?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am looking for a stem that has some drop, but not as much as a canfield stem. (slacked out the fork, brought up my bar height) I am looking for the half an inch range. so far i found an answer stem which is -20mm and the straitline, although it says is a riser stem, i THINK its still less than my sunline stem. (sunline doesnt list anything on their website) 50mm is ideal, but ill listen either way. Also dont mind anything used if any monkeys wana dump a stem.

yes this has to do with my bar height :D

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I am looking for a stem that has some drop, but not as much as a canfield stem. (slacked out the fork, brought up my bar height) I am looking for the half an inch range. so far i found an answer stem which is -20mm and the straitline, although it says is a riser stem, i THINK its still less than my sunline stem. (sunline doesnt list anything on their website) 50mm is ideal, but ill listen either way. Also dont mind anything used if any monkeys wana dump a stem.

yes this has to do with my bar height :D
will they let you install the stem or do you have to send them the bike so they can:eek:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
are you already running flat bars? it may be easier (and cheaper) to just switch to lower bars.
Right now i have on atomlab bars, only 5mm higher than the bars i had on it previously,(although textbook says they are the same width, these feel wider) i raised up the fork about an inch on the stanctions, but, i dont feel i need to go down a full inch, as i am going to be riding a little bit steeper terrain, i figure up 10-15 wont hurt anybody. I have 1 inch Alab bars, sunline 745s (19m rise) and bigger, nothing smaller. If i were to run flat bars, i would want sweep and whatnot. thoughts?

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
I have the Straitline stem and it does drop the bars a bit,imagine a line halfway through your 31.8 bars at crown height if that makes sense.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
HBG isn't watching you on the internet. You don't need to promote them. Besides, Answer stems are completely flat. 0 degree rise.
im extremely sorry that i like a product that i choose to ride? but your lack of knowledge on the Answer ONE stem makes you look like a fool. :rofl:

now that Answer is TheTruth.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i have a straitline ultra sc 50mm stem in red i was going to put up for sale pretty soon. pm if you want it. just make me an semi-reasonable offer and its yours.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
^ may hear from me, its probably going to be the answer stem, i should probably go down a full inch, but im going to try 20mm first, if i have to i can address it later. about 85% sure im going with answer, the atlas is the nicer stem, but its "just a stem" and the answer has the most drop thats less than an inch.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Right now i have on atomlab bars, only 5mm higher than the bars i had on it previously,(although textbook says they are the same width, these feel wider) i raised up the fork about an inch on the stanctions, but, i dont feel i need to go down a full inch, as i am going to be riding a little bit steeper terrain, i figure up 10-15 wont hurt anybody. I have 1 inch Alab bars, sunline 745s (19m rise) and bigger, nothing smaller. If i were to run flat bars, i would want sweep and whatnot. thoughts?
flat bars do have sweep and such. Check out the spank 777 bars. they come in 5mm rise with 4 degree's up and 8 degrees back

or you can check out

FSA gravity 777 bars. they have 0 rise with 4 degrees up and 10 degrees back

the first one will drop the 20mm you were looking for.

It just seems way easier to buy a bar thats the perfect height than it is to but a drop stem that drops the perfect amount. especially because there are so few drop stems and sooooo many bar options.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
The answer stem has rise. You measure it from the top of the crown to the center of the bar. It looks like it has about 20mm rise to me.

Looks like the same rise as the Sunline.

The RaceFace stem has 8.5mm rise. It would drop your bars about 1/2".

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
^ may hear from me, its probably going to be the answer stem, i should probably go down a full inch, but im going to try 20mm first, if i have to i can address it later. about 85% sure im going with answer, the atlas is the nicer stem, but its "just a stem" and the answer has the most drop thats less than an inch.
its just sitting in a box at the moment, till the spring. happy to send it to you for a couple bucks in ship to see if it works, send it back if no dice. no biggie either way.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Possibly, the first thing i am giong to do , is try the answer (foxrox is going to let me borrow his), if that works done, if not, than itl will be bars/or canfield stem.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I had the same goal when I reduced the stack height of my headset/top crown interface. I raised the fork and dropped the top crown and run the Syncros stem to get the bars a little lower.

The Syncros stem has a tiny bit of drop but not as much as the RF or Canfield.

Last edited: