Quantcast

)*( monderp)*(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Agreed with fixing withholding. Also curious re itemized vs 2017 tax bill larger standard deduction. But not that curious.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I mean, a little bit here or there, who cares? But 11k? Give yourself a nice 900 dollar monthly bump and next year get a 200 dollar refund. That's free money too that your not loaning to uncle sam for 0.0% interest.
You're not wrong, and I don't disagree at all. It's an artifact of when I was in my 20s right out of school, single, owned my own home and was terrible with money. After I paid mortgage/bills/401k, I spent almost the rest on bikes, hookers and blow. So back then, the last thing I wanted was a surprise $X,XXX tax bill.

Of course my circumstances now are vastly different and am not in that same boat, so I could/should change my withholding to reflect that. But I don't, because I'm lazy and it's only money. Can't take it with me after my untimely and mysterious death. At least the fake wife and kids will be taken care of.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You're not wrong, and I don't disagree at all. It's an artifact of when I was in my 20s right out of school, single, owned my own home and was terrible with money. After I paid mortgage/bills/401k, I spent almost the rest on bikes, hookers and blow. So back then, the last thing I wanted was a surprise $X,XXX tax bill.

Of course my circumstances now are vastly different and am not in that same boat, so I could/should change my withholding to reflect that. But I don't, because I'm lazy and it's only money. Can't take it with me after my untimely and mysterious death. At least the fake wife and kids will be taken care of.
It's probably as simple as just filling out a single page form with your payroll department. Hell, here it's just an online thing. Changing your deductions shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, and surely google can help you figure out exactly how many allowances to take.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I did not know it was officially poutine week.

This means that I shall have poutine this week.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I did not know it was officially poutine week.

This means that I shall have poutine this week.
Just cross le border and it's poutine day everyday.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Just got the green light from my wife to order a canoe. Going to get this bad boy:
View attachment 156011

It's a beast at 76lbs, but it's made of T-Formex (formerly Royalex), and should allow us to hit any of the numerous rivers around here, as well as do flatwater trips.

I've been dreaming of river trips since before I had kids, and they seem keen to give it a try. If this works out, I can see us camping regularly this summer. If not every weekend, almost every weekend anyways!

There's a bunch of rivers like this within 3 hours driving from us:

including this one:
(if I'm not mistaken, @mykel is familiar with Algonquin and its environs... any tips and recommendations would happily be welcomed)

(edited to change video... last Algonquin one was too... sexist. I felt bad)
I miss river trips. Last one i was on was February of last year, just before 'Rona hit us. Usually take about 3 a year, with the big one in November. Enjoy that boat!

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Cool! where do you usually do your trips?
Typically the Colorado river from Hoover Dam to Mexico.
We, (My friends and I), usually do several sections of it through the year. November is when we take the week and go from the dam to cottonwood cove marina.

We also occasionally hit up San Diego, or surrounding lakes/rivers. We have also been wanting to do the Verde River.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just got the green light from my wife to order a canoe. Going to get this bad boy:
View attachment 156011

It's a beast at 76lbs, but it's made of T-Formex (formerly Royalex), and should allow us to hit any of the numerous rivers around here, as well as do flatwater trips.

I've been dreaming of river trips since before I had kids, and they seem keen to give it a try. If this works out, I can see us camping regularly this summer. If not every weekend, almost every weekend anyways!

There's a bunch of rivers like this within 3 hours driving from us:

including this one:
(if I'm not mistaken, @mykel is familiar with Algonquin and its environs... any tips and recommendations would happily be welcomed)

(edited to change video... last Algonquin one was too... sexist. I felt bad)
Doing the Silver Peak hike in Killarney via canoe looks awesome too. @mykel have you done that one?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You know they make motherboards with all the built-in now right?
No, they don't. Nobody makes an ANT+ motherboard. Even if they did, I'd need new RAM, a new processor, potentially a new power supply, all to make my $20 ride PC work. Thanks, I'm all set. So far I've spent $25 to add bluetooth and ANT (ANT is mandatory on any PC that isn't an android phone) to get this done. I put a little effort in, sure, but I don't want to buy a $700 new laptop so I have bluetooth and wifi built in. I've got one more step, requiring a $5 cable, to swap in the SSD from my dud desktop to my slightly more useable laptop. Then I'll have what I need and I'll have spent $30 to get it done.

but yeah, I should totally throw the laptop in the trash next to the desktop and buy a new PC so I can make JBP happy.

i used to wonder why people left ridemonkey. I think you'll be the second person on my ignore list.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Water tables are life
Probably not what you meant, but our water supply company is already notifying us there will be restrictions this coming summer due to the current exceptional drought in the state and compounded by the lack of snow this winter.