Quantcast

More BB7 help please

Still gathering parts for the BB7 frame I was asking about a while back. Went to put the rear derailleur on today and realized there are no threads in the hole that I thought was the <b>built in</b> rear derailleur hanger. Is there suppose to be a add on hanger or do you swap the deraill. bolt out for a longer one and bolt it on? I tried looking at a bunch of BB7 pics but nothing was close up enough to tell.

Also, did anyone use a Blackspire AS-1 chainguide on one of these frames?

Thanks again for any and all help. It's very much appreciated since info is quite hard to come by on these frames now.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I could be off here, but I remember a triangular aluminum machined piece that attached with two bolts near the dropout. It pointed down and had a threaded hole in it for mounting a der. If that's right, it's gonna be hard to find. I would try Apalacia Bikes (I'm pretty sure I misspelled that perfectly for you), which is what Balfa has now become (more or less).

If you do get in touch with them, I would suggest getting a couple of frame pullies as well. They break.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I could be off here, but I remember a triangular aluminum machined piece that attached with two bolts near the dropout. It pointed down and had a threaded hole in it for mounting a der. If that's right, it's gonna be hard to find. I would try Apalacia Bikes (I'm pretty sure I misspelled that perfectly for you), which is what Balfa has now become (more or less).

If you do get in touch with them, I would suggest getting a couple of frame pullies as well. They break.
The bb7 has a steel swingarm and therefore does not use a replaceable derailleur hanger. I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Prowler said:
Still gathering parts for the BB7 frame I was asking about a while back. Went to put the rear derailleur on today and realized there are no threads in the hole that I thought was the <b>built in</b> rear derailleur hanger. Is there suppose to be a add on hanger or do you swap the deraill. bolt out for a longer one and bolt it on? I tried looking at a bunch of BB7 pics but nothing was close up enough to tell.
There should be threads on the hanger just like every other frame. If there isn't, it sounds like you have a major problem.

2phass

Chimp
Jul 20, 2002
As said before it has a steel swing with built in hanger. If there are no threads ( stripped out ) it is not the end of the world. If you are mechanically inclined, and it sounds like you are, you can tap it out one size bigger and then add a healy coil. You should be able to all you need for about 40 bucks at an auto parts store ie napa. It is great bike you won't be disappointed

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
If there are no threads inside it sounds like it might have already been drilled out and a derailleur saver used.

It mounts in from behind and the derailleur threads into it.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
The bb7 has a steel swingarm and therefore does not use a replaceable derailleur hanger. I don't have any idea what you are talking about.
Well if I'm so wrong, then what bike am I thinking of? Huh?

Kidding, sorry to mislead. It's been a while and too many frames since I had my BB. I've had the MinuteMan longer than any other single frame though, which is a source of pride for such a cycle-slut as your's truly.

Ah ha. The derailleur saver looks like just the ticket. I have never even heard of those. Is it an easy part to come by from any good ole LBS?

There are definately no threads but it does appear to have the hanger hole in the correct position and a little flip up place built in for the deraill. stop screw.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Ah ha. The derailleur saver looks like just the ticket. I have never even heard of those. Is it an easy part to come by from any good ole LBS?

There are definately no threads but it does appear to have the hanger hole in the correct position and a little flip up place built in for the deraill. stop screw.
Should be easy to come buy.

They are used when someone strips the threads on bikes with no replaceable hangers. I have used one on my old super 8 and they work fine.