Quantcast

More disturbing news from Florida

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Is it just me or does the Bush family bring religion into state matters way too much?
_____

Group Urges Fla. to Recall AIDS Pamphlets
Fri Apr 4, 5:13 AM ET

By DAVID ROYSE, Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) has asked Florida health officials to recall a set of state-sponsored AIDS (news - web sites) education brochures that contain Biblical messages.

The pamphlets, titled "A Christian Response to AIDS," use passages from the Bible to urge compassion toward people with AIDS and the HIV virus (news - web sites). Each bears the logo and name of the Florida Department of Health.

The brochure asks: "How would Jesus respond to a person with HIV (news - web sites) or AIDS?" and promises that "Jesus is our Hope." It quotes several Bible passages throughout.

Health department officials said the pamphlet, which has been in circulation for more than a decade, is on a list of AIDS education materials approved by the state for community organizations.

In a letter to the Florida Department of Health asking that it stop buying and associating itself with the pamphlet, ACLU of Florida Director Howard Simon said the brochures may have a worthwhile goal, but contain a message that shouldn't be delivered by state government.

"While the state must respond to this public health crisis and find ways to stop the spread of the AIDS virus, the state must base its message on ... medical and scientific information, rather than advocate a particular Christian set of beliefs," Simon wrote. "Sectarian messages are inappropriate for agencies of the state."

Tom Liberti, chief of the Health Department's HIV/AIDS Bureau, said the pamphlet was approved by a review panel that primarily looks at the medical accuracy of the information in the material.

"We'll consult with our attorneys and determine if the points in the ACLU letter are correct and if so, we'll take action," said Liberti. He added that the Christian pamphlet was "one of hundreds" approved for community groups and local health departments around the state.

The pamphlet, used in several states and published by one of the largest health educational printers in the country, has been criticized elsewhere. Last month, Pennsylvania officials took it off their state's Health Department Web site after the ACLU complained.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
In a region of the country where SOME fundamentalist churches preach against homosexuals, and some go so far as to suggest (and this really pi$$es me off) that HIV/AIDS is a punishment for their sins I think a not so gentle reminder that Jesus would not cast judgement upon the victims is more than appropriate. In fact I'm quite surprised that something like this HASN'T come from the homosexual or HIV victims community.

Reminder to Christians. When Jesus returns he won't be hanging out with us telling us how good we've been. He will be with the wino's, pimps, junkies, hookers, homeless, and vicitims of unspeakable disease such as AIDS for they are the ones that need him most, for it is they that we have forsaken.

Lyrics to "Under Bridges" by Brave Saint Saturn

Yesterday while walking,
Beneath an overpass,
I saw the figure of Jesus,
Standing barefoot on broken glass.
His beard was graying,
The smell of urine filled the air,
Asking if I had some change,
Anything that I could spare.

Emaciated,
His shaking fists balled up,
Influenza and pneumonia,
Begging God to take his cup.
So different from his pictures,
Breathing air through yellowed tubes,
Jesus Christ, dying of AIDS,
Can look right through you.

And all have hated,
Crucified and walked away,
The Savior of the prostitutes,
Drunkards, rapists, and the gays.

Under bridges,
With hands raised,
>From the ghettos they praise his name.
Broke and crippled in the dark of night,
Raise your voices to Jesus Christ,
Hallelujah.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that "Die Fags Die" wasn't anywhere on the pamplet.

I think Homer Simpson said it best, "Florida? But that's America's wang!"

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Damn True
In fact I'm quite surprised that something like this HASN'T come from the homosexual or HIV victims community.
It definitely has. There are very strong gay- or open- Christian communities that have been working on similar stuff for years. It's just that it's usually not state-sponsored.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think Lawton Chiles was Governor at the time and it sounds like something he'd approve. Heck, he shot down gambling in the state cuz he once lost a little bit of money as a child.

While they're repealing this piece of paper, maybe they could repeal the law that makes oral sex illegal. :devil:

Lord O'pie ;) :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Damn True
In a region of the country where SOME fundamentalist churches preach against homosexuals, and some go so far as to suggest (and this really pi$$es me off) that HIV/AIDS is a punishment for their sins I think a not so gentle reminder that Jesus would not cast judgement upon the victims is more than appropriate. In fact I'm quite surprised that something like this HASN'T come from the homosexual or HIV victims community.

Reminder to Christians. When Jesus returns he won't be hanging out with us telling us how good we've been. He will be with the wino's, pimps, junkies, hookers, homeless, and vicitims of unspeakable disease such as AIDS for they are the ones that need him most, for it is they that we have forsaken.
I have to go with DT on this one. The fact of the matter is that there are far too many "Christians" (eventhough it is not a majority by any stretch) in the sunny south that forget what DT is saying. We even get them on uptown street corners preaching their version of Christianity. If such a pamphlet gets even one to change his or her tune, then I'd say its worth the bluring of the lines. Someone needs to be saying this.

It is a bit surprising that HIV/AIDS groups or homosexual groups don't do more of this, however, I think that it would be more easily blown off from those groups.

You serve your faith well DT.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by Silver
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that "Die Fags Die" wasn't anywhere on the pamplet.

I think Homer Simpson said it best, "Florida? But that's America's wang!"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

that is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hilarious. i am seriously struggling to breath. hehehehe wang. thats soooo funny. oooo oooooo ooooo oooo, ok i think im ok.

hehehehehehehe

oooooooo ooooo

ok i am really ok

thanks for the laugh.