Quantcast

More Fox DC news.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Aaah, don't you love the way Fox hypes its products. Next month MBA will have a stellar review of a prototype and by the end of august they'll be testing the production version and again have stellar reviews, before long we'll all be wanting them just like the vanilla, float and talas forks. I really liked my Vanilla aside from the questionable bushing design, if the price of the DH is anywhere in the ball park of a super T it may be my next fork (in 5-6 years that is.)

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
Originally posted by Ian F
Hmm... a "sub 7 lb" fork with 40mm stanchions... This should be interesting... :think:
maybe they put marshmelows inside instead of a damping cartridge;)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It has been mentioned before that the only way this could be sub 7lbs is if it were an air fork. Perhaps that is one reason why the stancions are so big. To increase the air volume and give a more linear spring rate.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by adrenalinerush
Well take a look at the new Maverick forks, its like a sub 5 pound something crazy light, it has 6" adjustable travel, triple clamp. The fork is pretty tuff, diffenetly(sp) would put it on my bike. So add anther 2 pounds or so, I am shure they could have a DH fork in that range.
the maverick is less than 4lbs, 150mm of travel, but it's an XC fork, don't get confused by it's "big" appearence, it's absolutely not a freeride or a DH fork.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
they must have extra light innards cus sub 7 pounds? either they hit the holy grail of chassis design, or everyone else is doing things extreamely wrong...

although this could explain why it took so damn long to develop

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I keep seeing people mention the 40mm stanchions and the fact that this should make the fork heavier. Can anyone explain this to me?

I'm no engineer but I always thought that larger diameter tubes let you make the structure lighter (with increased risk of denting). Isn't this similar to what happened with frames 10 years ago, they were all using tiny little tubes then Cannondale and Klein came out with these huge (for their time) tubesets that were much lighter and stiffer.

Why would forks be different?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by crashing_sux
I keep seeing people mention the 40mm stanchions and the fact that this should make the fork heavier. Can anyone explain this to me?

I'm no engineer but I always thought that larger diameter tubes let you make the structure lighter (with increased risk of denting). Isn't this similar to what happened with frames 10 years ago, they were all using tiny little tubes then Cannondale and Klein came out with these huge (for their time) tubesets that were much lighter and stiffer.

Why would forks be different?
b/c typically they are filled with a lot of oil. see monster t for reference. thus speculation about air innards and such.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I don't understand why everyone is so surprised about the weight...Nobody thought the 888 would be that light either. I can see a few secrets to shave weight on that fox...I am sure the 40mm are thin walled...the crowns are milled WAY out, they are not very tall...check out the lowers too...they step down in the center, I am sure they are quite thin there...maybe ti springs too. I wonder if the lower are aluminum, or some unobtanium/magnesium space age conconction....

oh they do look flexy though...:D

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Originally posted by KL
Is it me or does the arch on that thing look tiny? Looks like it would fit a 2.3" but it would be tight.

What do you all think?

KL
check out the other thread and my astute observation....

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Well, if it does weigh sub 7lbs, then it might have carbon lowers with either an alu or mag arch and axle area to reduce weight. It could also have a cartridge system similar to an 888 to reduce weight and use less oil.

Seems reasonable to me, but I highly doubt that it uses the same damping system at the Vanilla forks.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
my initial impressions are that pretty good
looks pretty much on par with 888 except lighter, adjustable travel and lower axle to crown distance

pretty mych most of the things ppl didnt like in the 888
any way i guess its time now to see how this baby rides rather then speculate

it gets the thumbs up from me atm.:monkey:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
to me it looks a lot like a boxxer on steroids ;)

anyways did anybody read the press release?
this fork has a new brake mounting "standard"
not that we didn't have enough "standards" for that already ;)

i like it though!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
to me it looks a lot like a boxxer on steroids ;)

anyways did anybody read the press release?
this fork has a new brake mounting "standard"
not that we didn't have enough "standards" for that already ;)

i like it though!
I don't think it's a new Standard per say; it's really just using an existing XC standard and by spacing it further out they eliminate the need for big DH adapters.

I'll believe sub-7lbs when I see it. Have they incorporated their platform valving into it?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
So what's the fascination with right-side up forks nowadays? Is it that much easier to make a lighter fork that's not inverted?? Or is this another trend we're seeing in DH riding.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Oh boy, one fork that can be used on so many different types of bikes! How's that for thinkin'?!

Hmmm...6" with 40mm stantions and reasonable weight...mmmmmmmaybe I would reconsider my "DC forks only belong on long-travel bikes" philosophy. That fork would be right at home on my RFX. Maybe. :devil:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
by by boxxer, hello FOX! although, nothing matches the dorado, but i havent riden this fork yet, however i am more partial to iverted desings.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I wish that Marzocchi didn't have a strong-hold on the freeride fork market so that Fox could jump in with a freeride fork.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My problem is... I just don't think I could keep stachions on a right side up fork clean. The upper tubes on my Shiver are scrathed up really bad in places and I thank my lucky stars that it wasn't the stanchions on my brand new Fox DH fork or other.