Quantcast

Morewood Izimu Headset Buzz

Okay, yes I've searched, and yes I am very much disappointed in myself for not working this out myself.

Bought a 2008 Morewood Izimu frame and headset off my mate about a week ago, everything went on perfect, and everything is perfect, except the bastard of a headset. It uses a Hope 1.5-1.125 step down headset which emits the strangest of noises.

When viciously bouncing the front end a strange metallic buzzing sound will ring out. It does it when riding too; every time the front wheel leaves the ground and reconnects it buzzes.

Before anyone comments saying 'It's your forks!' it's not. The same noise was to be heard before the frame was mine, with a set of 888's on it.

The noise doesn't appear to be doing any damage, but it is ****ing annoying when riding along all you can hear is 'bzzzz bzzzz bzzzz bzzzzzzzzzzz bzzz bzzzzzz'.

I think that's just about everything. Please only comment if you have some legit advice and know what you're on about.

Thanks in advance.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Have you tried greasing the bearing interface between the bearing and the cup? Perhaps the bearing(s) needs replacing or some grease inbetweeen the metal/metal interface.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You could use grease as jvnixon recommended or maybe an anti-sieze compound. That's the only thing I can think of.

Any chance you can make a small vid with a decent volume to it?
Sure, I'll give it a go. Will test my video making skills to the utmost!

Have you tried greasing the bearing interface between the bearing and the cup? Perhaps the bearing(s) needs replacing or some grease inbetweeen the metal/metal interface.
Yes, the headset is packed with grease and is tightened appropriately. Nothing is loose or grinding, other than the noise the headset spins near perfectly.

For the record I just rebuilt my Boxxers, eliminating any chance they are the cause of the noise (in my mind at least).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Ugh, hope that works; first time trying vimeo.

If it doesn't; here's the link: http://www.vimeo.com/8526610
Not quite....Just the numbers after the slash for your embed

Ok, thats an interesting sound. Only on impacts like that, or does it do it as is goes through the travel as well?

Thinking on it a bit, I would start by making sure you dont have an ovalized headtube. If your bearing cup is rocking on impact, might just be what your hearing

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Spring noise is very likely.... when you had the fork apart, what did teh shrink wrap on the spring look like? I know you said it did the same thing with an 888, but those were pretty prone to that as well.

Spring noise is very likely.... when you had the fork apart, what did teh shrink wrap on the spring look like? I know you said it did the same thing with an 888, but those were pretty prone to that as well.
Yes, I understand the spring noise is likely. I'm currently running 3 of the thin preload spacers above the spring, if that makes a difference. I believe they were in good condition, but didn't take a close look to tell you the truth. I have a few other springs lying around I could nick the shrink wrap off and add it to the spring in there... is that an option?

I hope to Christ it's not ovalised. I just got the frame!

EDIT: Just pulled the spring out and moved the shrink wrap to the to, middle and bottom of the spring respectively, and removed a preload spacer, just to eliminate that as a potential cause. (I added the spacer after changing frames; never had a problem with previous frame.)

Last edited:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I know it sounds ridiculous but u got your front axle properly tightened to?

Also are the cables around the front all zipped together to eliminate noise?

Lastly you sure the steerer tube is the correct length? Because if its slightly to long your bearing wont have been compressed fully and you will get some movement, that may cause the noise.. (that is a far off chance though)

I know small things, bust just checks to eliminate them from the list.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I hope to Christ it's not ovalised. I just got the frame!

.)
If it is, dont panic, there is a fairly easy fix for it........ Deep insertion steel cupped headset. Youll basically reach beyond the ovalized part.

ABout moving the skrink wrap, moving it no good, you can buy more for cheap at the hardware store. A good test s to take the spring out, and wrap it with saran wrap, then check it again. Oviously your not going to ride with it completly covered, but its a quick way to eliminate a spring noise

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i had a similar problem from my Hope step down headset.
because of the flared headset race, a small piece of dirt/rock got stuck underneath it causing the noise.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
... random thought. Have you check that there's not any extra debris inside the head tube rattling around? Possibly held back in there because the reducer is so wide?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Weld slag in frame?
Someone dropped a penny in there for 'fun'?
Cables/hoses slapping the frame?
Head tube badge loose?

If it were a headset issue, I would expect noise when you turned the bars.

Okay, we have results.

I gave in and visited the bike shop, where the b@stard was instantly able to tell me what the problem was:

The headset must have been run slightly loose at one stage, and as a result the steel cartridge bearings wore away at the lower cup, eliminating the tight fit they once had, and need. The play isn't enough to be felt by hand, or seen, but is enough to cause vibrations that echo through the headtube.

So, the new headset is on the way, and everything will be go ahead once it arrives! Yay for LBS!

Thanks for all the help guys.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Okay, we have results.

I gave in and visited the bike shop, where the b@stard was instantly able to tell me what the problem was:

The headset must have been run slightly loose at one stage, and as a result the steel cartridge bearings wore away at the lower cup, eliminating the tight fit they once had, and need. The play isn't enough to be felt by hand, or seen, but is enough to cause vibrations that echo through the headtube.

So, the new headset is on the way, and everything will be go ahead once it arrives! Yay for LBS!

Thanks for all the help guys.

You should have that LBS face the head tube before you install the new headset.

By the way, what did you do to install the current headset??? Maybe a good idea to cough it up and have them press in the new one with the proper tool

You should have that LBS face the head tube before you install the new headset.

By the way, what did you do to install the current headset??? Maybe a good idea to cough it up and have them press in the new one with the proper tool
Headtube was first faced when that headset was installed... it doesn't need to be done again does it?

I didn't install this headset, this one was also installed by a bike shop, as my new one will be. I didn't even consider doing it myself. :redface:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
YOu shouldnt need to have it refaced. once a HT is faced, it should be good. Is this shop the same shop that installed teh headset and faced the HT in the first place? If so my next question is.... How long ago did they do the work?

hs5fbu

Chimp
Dec 2, 2010
Thailand
Searching and found the same problem!
How is it working today? Could you tell me the final solution?
I have M6 with 2008 FOX40 and using Hope headset 1.5 to 1-1/8, which is the same noise problem like you in VDO.

Thanks

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I've had the same EXACT issue with my Morewood 2008... SAME exact....

I have a 2010 Izimu now.

the resolution.... removed headset and relubed everything...

i Also noticed every time i washed the bike the sound was even worse... remove headset and LUBE everything... lol