Quantcast

Most over rated beers

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Which hyped up beers do you guys find to be total crap?

Of course the obvious - PBR. No different than most cheap beers but the fad factor seems to fool a lot of taste buds.

Fat Tire. Oh so trendy, but just plain nasty IMO.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Arrogant Bastard Ale - given the advertising, I was expecting so much more than just another run of the mill, hoppy micro.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ridemonkey said:
Oh crap. I once owed dumbikes a six pack and purchased Fat Tire Ale instead of our regular Black Butte Porter, I did so because there was a bicycle in the graphics. I never tasted it... and he didn't die, I guess. :blah:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BikeGeek said:
Arrogant Bastard Ale - given the advertising, I was expecting so much more than just another run of the mill, hoppy micro.
ditto. not that i know what a run of the mill, hoppy micro tastes like. just know i didn't like arrogant bastard. maudite also is overrated imo

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Brooklyn -- seems to have cult status, everything tastes like copper.

Guinness -- weak.

I don't think pbr is over rated, everyone knows it tastes like crap...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Serial Midget said:
Oh crap. I once owed dumbikes a six pack and purchased Fat Tire Ale instead of our regular Black Butte Porter, I did so because there was a bicycle in the graphics. I never tasted it... and he didn't die, I guess. :blah:
any beer chosen over black butte porter should result in a severe crotch pummelling. :nuts:

btw, i too find fat tire ale just about undrinkable.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Bridgeport ESB. Wasn't bitter, and for *sure* wasn't extra special........... :think:

Of course, I've never heard it hyped either, so take it for what it's worth. :p

-S.S.-
bridgeport's porter is totally delicious, at least from the tap.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Toshi said:
ditto. not that i know what a run of the mill, hoppy micro tastes like.
There was a time at the beginning of the micro boom where a lot of brewers were hopping up their product because "that's what micros should taste like." You basically ended up with a market full of indistinguishable hoppy brews.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Heineken. Absoulute garbage IMO. Regardless of whatever supposed temperature you are supposed to drink it at. Worst aftertaste of any beer I have ever tried. It's one of a very few I wouldn't drink even if it was given to me. :blah:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Fat Tire sucks, as well as Sierra Nevada.
Sierra is the worst IMO. Arrogant Bastard, and any of those overly hopped beer suck IMO.

Bittering hops are fine...

A little bit of finishing hops are cool (What people referr to when they say "hoppy"),but only a little!!

and dry hopping SUCKS.

Oh yeah... all those european Lagers suck too. Heinekin, Amstel...

Give me a nice Brittish Brown, or a Belgain.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'll second heini and corona, I don't know who hyped them up in the first place but they are over priced and just plain bad. I think they are the pinnacle of good beer to people whose favorite beer is coors light, but not to anyone who actually likes beer. (seeing as I don't consider light beer beer at all)

GumbaFish said:
I'll second heini and corona, I don't know who hyped them up in the first place but they are over priced and just plain bad. I think they are the pinnacle of good beer to people whose favorite beer is coors light, but not to anyone who actually likes beer. (seeing as I don't consider light beer beer at all)
Good point.
I really hate beers that i can see through.
As much as Heiny blows the dark variety ain't bad. Same for Becks dark.
For most over rated i would have to say any and all lager beer period.
Its what you drink before you start drinking real beer.
I think Red stripe is more undrinkable than Fat tire too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
-BB- said:
Sierra is the worst IMO. Arrogant Bastard, and any of those overly hopped beer suck IMO.

Bittering hops are fine...

A little bit of finishing hops are cool (What people referr to when they say "hoppy"),but only a little!!

and dry hopping SUCKS.
Hehehehehe. It's sorta like arguing about music, isn't it? Give it to me HOPPY, man!

Hoppy, Hoppy, Joy, Joy. :D

-S.S.-

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Surprisingly, Guiness is overrated. Its OK, but not all that.
BUDWEISER -"The King of Beers." Yeah, right. The king of overmarketed swill.
BUD LIGHT - The king of overmarketed watery swill.
Victory Stormking Imperial Stout -everybody raves about it, but it sucks. (Well, I think so anyway, and since I'm the only one who would be drinking it if I were to drink any more of it, only my opinion counts :blah: )

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I think Guiness has to be the most overrated beer of all time. The stuff has almost no flavor.

Ridemonkey said:
Which hyped up beers do you guys find to be total crap?

Of course the obvious - PBR. No different than most cheap beers but the fad factor seems to fool a lot of taste buds.

For crap beer, PBR is suprisingly tastey. Fat Tire is overrated though, it always has a funky aftertaste...

BikeGeek said:
Toshi said:
ditto. not that i know what a run of the mill, hoppy micro tastes like. just know i didn't like arrogant bastard. maudite also is overrated imo
Obviously neither of you are worthy. ;)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This thread just shows how diverse tastes can be. Guinness over-rated? Sierra Pale? Maudite? Jeez, those are three of my all-time faves. I also like Arrogant Bastard, especially the double, and the smoked.

I agree that Heineken is basically always funky. Something about those green bottles. And Fat Tire is too sweet or something, just not good to me. And I tried to like it - I think we all did. I mean come on, it's got a mountain bike on the label.

But I disagree about Corona, it's not over-rated - everyone knows it's crap!

Man I'm thirsty.

EDIT: Those of you who don't like Guinness have probably never had a proper fresh pint. And I'm not talking just about a good pour, there are a lot of funky old kegs of Guinness out there.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i just learned what a "corona" is. hm, interesting.

mmmmmm...Fat Tire. i am starting to think Shiner is over-rated here in Texas.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Whilst working my way through college I worked at The Punch Bowl in downtown Denver (18th & Stout Streets) - at the time they served over 100 different beers and most were overrated. On drought we had Guinness and was weened on the stuff - I used to sip it all night long from a coffee cup. :drool:

Of the many, many beers I sampled Guinness, Anchor Porter (SF) and Samula Adams were my favorites. If I had spend my own coin then Stroghs was just fine. That was the mid 80s so micro brews were not wide spread.

Now when I drink beer I always choose a porter or stout - something new each time if I am lucky.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm not into beer like some of you are, so I don't have the knowledge or "expertise" to speak about a lof of these beers. But of the stuff that's popular around here/with my friends, most over rated goes to Heiniken, second to Corona (with the lime, it should probably be a girl's beer), and an honorable mention to Killians.

Gimme a Yuengling any day, but occasionally I'll have a Bass. For cheap beer, I go for Mich Light. Every now and again, Sam Adams will run a good seasonal brew.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BikeGeek said:
Interesting........ I had A.B. last night and found it to *not* be over the top hoppy. Pretty nice hops, but not overpowering - lots of maltiness, though. A touch of sweet. Reminded me more of an American ESB style, albeit a *strong* ESB. I liked it.

-S.S.-

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Fat Tire over rated?
I never even knew it existed until 2 weeks ago, let alone have been informed (repeatedly) its some great beer

over rated= Coors Light