Quantcast

motorcycle sidecars

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
anyone ever use one?

My girl wants me to get one so we can put our dog in it with some sort of harness.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Westy said:
Get a cheap beater car. A motorcycle that can't lean is just a dangerous convertible.
the idea is that she likes being on the back of the bike and we can take trips up into the mts with the dog.

Please educate me on sidecars... you're saying they don't lean with the bike or that I can't lean the bike with it on??

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
they definately take a lot of getting used to! they are tougher to ride with than you would think... and yes they can be dangerous, (in my opinion) more dangerous by far than just having the dog sit on the tank and holding the dog between your arms:rolleyes:

I have ridden around on one but wouldn't suggest them, especially if you are riding in the MTNS, you really want to connect with the bends in the road!!! LEAN MAN LEAN... you cant do that with a side hack!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
that's funny. my boss at the bike shop does it with his dog. even uses the Biker Dog when he rides mtn.

Edit:

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
as much as i like motorcycles i do need to admite Sidehacks are Evil...

Here are a few fotos from the Intermot show in 2004 and Here are some of the fastest DirtHack ever developed..

i will say if anything just get a normal bike and a trailer, not as perfect but for sure far easier to deal with, plus you get a bike to ride around town in the deal.

oh plus bad sidecars are the Biggest nightmares and the Good ones cost a Ton of money maybe the reason why i never got one since I can not stand halfAss machines and the good ones like scott's cost more money than 20 nicolai's nucleon's combine

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
LordOpie said:
Trailer? Put the dog in the trailer?
Dude I have friend that carry her labrador on top of the tank from sacramento to san francisco all the time, her whole tank, triple calmp area is cover with some cheap carpet so the bod can sink his spikes on it.....

and somewere i have a link to a "Dog Walker" service that takes big dogs (6-8 of them) on leasure walks at remote places ussing a specially made sidecar/trailer rig (Sidecar for the humans/ trailer for the dogs), really cool stuff, i can just not find it..

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
1. Put the dog in a back pack. Leave it a little open for doggie head to get some air/see stuff/drool.
2. Make your girl wear the back pack.
3. If it's a big dog, get a big pack.
4. If your girl can't support the weight, get a big girl.

Congrats on getting married! Hope you have a fun trip!

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
sam_little said:

That looks like hell
how about this one..

plus this is what happend when you have a 150 horses underneat your Butt..

actually the reason that the stuff breaks is because the traction with the paddles is a little "To Intense" plus check that rear sprocket..

this thing varelly wheelies so all the power goes into forward mothion , that is if the parts can take it..

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
bikenweed said:
1. Put the dog in a back pack. Leave it a little open for doggie head to get some air/see stuff/drool.
2. Make your girl wear the back pack.
3. If it's a big dog, get a big pack.
4. If your girl can't support the weight, get a big girl.

Congrats on getting married! Hope you have a fun trip!

dog is 35#. Eventho she can carry him, I can't imagine it would be fun for either of them on a long ride.

Thanks for the congrats :)

As for putting dog on gas tank, he's way too energetic to sit safely still.

Maybe I can build something to attach to the back where the lunch box used to be? I dunno, the box was attached with four bolts through the fiberglass 'trunk'... where my jacket is sitting...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
patineto said:
that is Funny,,
a K75 is the exact sae bike my girdfriend kira riders her dog on...

is a Big Golden lab too at least 45/50 pounds..
is her dog well behaved or do you have some sort of harness system keeping the phucker from jumping off whenever he sees another dog? :)

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
LordOpie said:
is her dog well behaved
how yeah

or do you have some sort of harness system keeping the phucker from jumping off whenever he sees another dog? :)
Nothing, no ropes, not even the stupid classes that some people put on their dogs...

as far as i know she is being riding like that for about 6/7 years with out incidents somehow i think she loves that dog more than her own self....

oviuslly this is a exemption to the rule but far better than carring your dog inside a cage..

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
If you ride motorcycles now forget all your current riding skills, you are starting fresh. No countersteering, accelerate pulls one way, braking pulls to the other direction. But they do lean pretty cool...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I remember seeing about four different times dogs riding in sidecars in CO. One of them being a client at the clinic I worked at bringing his dog in in a sidecar. Another waa a guy who lived down the road from my boss. Every once in awile he would cruise by with his Lab in the sidecar.

The oddest thing was going up I70 into the mountains, a 60lb German Shepard sitting in a fairly large milk crate that was bungee corded on the back of a motorcycle. Goggles on with his head resting on the drivers/riders shoulder.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
^ cool Steve! And yeah, i wanna get my doggie some goggles :)

Trainwreck, is that you and your boy? That's awesome!

A thought just occurred to me cuz I'm too dumb to think faster... I can just learn how to handle it properly alone. I don't have to have my girl and dog with me, duh!

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
LordOpie said:
Trainwreck, is that you and your boy? That's awesome!
Actually that is a friend of mine from San Diego and his daughter, it was a really cool rig though. I do have a picture from a Beemer rally at home of a guy with a boxer (dog) in a side car with leather helmet, googles and scarf. If I can find and scan it I'll post it for you.