Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
yamaha motorsports going for the untapped yoga/ballet market

place your bets now on which kills more people next year: cybertruck vs. this fucking monstrosity
that.

nothing to keep you sliding off the back of that thing into the wheel.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nice! Is that a Maxxis up front? We run the maxcross si with good success. How many miles of trails are in that zone?
that's a bridgestone x31

Couldn't even begin to tell you miles. With a little bit of dirt road you can connect like 5 valleys on mostly singletrack. We were out with a buddy who's got a few projects to connect even more so we were getting some current gps tracks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Brammo tried gears once and it was truly pointless. I could see a clutch being helpful, maybe.
A complaint I had with the alta and one I've seen people make about the ktm freeride is that the motor never really gets loaded. So when you get stuck in a tight spot pointing uphill, you just turn and turn the throttle until it explodes the rear wheel loose and spinning.

I haven't see anyone say this about the varg but I also haven't seen a single video of anyone riding one anywhere where that would apply.

sounds like the 'clutch' on the thing in that video you posted isn't even a clutch, but some dumb power limiter

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Weird shit. The clutch is also another throttle and being a short shifting luggist, it is essential to finding traction and more consistent than motor modulation alone. As mentioned above a power 'retarder' could be programmed in the controls realm and a bluetoothed in clutch lever could mimic? I would think an actual clutch would require some type of cooling system and all this would add a bit of weight, so....? An electric motocross bike would suck balls on actual trails....the roost and potential whiskey throttle (as mentioned above with power delivery) would just FSU, from trails to body. Glad I'm not in need of a ride right now and when I do, truthfully I'll be more concerned about a kicker.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I would think an actual clutch would require some type of cooling system and all this would add a bit of weight, so....?
the big ones already have a full anitifreeze cooling system. Plates, hub and a cable wouldn't really add too much. Oil bath doesn't help though....

Hey @jimmydean, what's the cooling setup on that surron ultra? Is it just a fan?

regarding whiskey throttle....

Glad I'm not in need of a ride right now and when I do, truthfully I'll be more concerned about a kicker.
fucking hate this no kickstarter bullshit on modern 2t trailbikes

A friend of mine dropped his bike on a creek crossing when we were in ID a few months ago and we wouldn't have gotten out if he hadn't stuck one on his newer ktm. I refuse to take a bike without one out in the middle of nowhere

Last edited:

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
fucking hate this no kickstarter bullshit on modern 2t trailbikes

A friend of mine dropped his bike on a creek crossing when we were in ID a few months ago and we wouldn't have gotten out if he hadn't stuck one on his newer ktm. I refuse to take a bike without one out in the middle of nowhere
Ouch! Where in ID? Glad my 19 still has some life. I don't know jak about suron... maybe I should learn something. Evidently one of the local 'biler shops is all about em.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
I know of a somewhat deep crossing on that loop...I think it is on the way back after the guard station? didn't make it to that zone last summer, ended up doing more local shit. Let me know if yer back in that zone and are in need of escaping the overlanding hodads, lotsa shit somewhat nearby. You'll see more crushed brim folks in pendletons on motos than flat billers in cotopaxi sitting around solos surrounded by plastic bikes. I'm hoping to ride next week in a 'desert' zone east of here. If so, it will be my earliest start of any of my moto years. If I was smart I woulda gone last week and ignored work.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I know of a somewhat deep crossing on that loop...I think it is on the way back after the guard station? didn't make it to that zone last summer, ended up doing more local shit. Let me know if yer back in that zone and are in need of escaping the overlanding hodads, lotsa shit somewhat nearby. You'll see more crushed brim folks in pendletons on motos than flat billers in cotopaxi sitting around solos surrounded by plastic bikes. I'm hoping to ride next week in a 'desert' zone east of here. If so, it will be my earliest start of any of my moto years. If I was smart I woulda gone last week and ignored work.

we've been going to that valley the last 3 years and are just kind of ticking off zones and doing worthy repeats. We were there the last week of september and it's cold, empty and perfect.

We'll likely be back there next summer, I'll let you know.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Need some new boots. I have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 7's (full-on tall enduro/mx boots) that I rarely use, and some super casual boots that don't have much protection, and I'm looking for something in the middle. Hoping for something decently walktable and easy on and off. Most of my riding is around the Bay Area, around town, occasional days in the twisties, sport touring/supermoto style, and I may have a multi-day trip coming up next year. :brows:

Found these Icon Stormhawk WP numbers that look pretty close but before I give them a shot, any other ideas?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-stormhawk-wp-boots?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAs6-sBhBmEiwA1Nl8s6VrA5fvtQFE_JJuOMqtyzcZic6oSIb6LxlCSE9HcKfF2HBEy820ChoC118QAvD_BwE

1703704361980.jpeg

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Need some new boots. I have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 7's (full-on tall enduro/mx boots) that I rarely use, and some super casual boots that don't have much protection, and I'm looking for something in the middle. Hoping for something decently walktable and easy on and off. Most of my riding is around the Bay Area, around town, occasional days in the twisties, sport touring/supermoto style, and I may have a multi-day trip coming up next year. :brows:

Found these Icon Stormhawk WP numbers that look pretty close but before I give them a shot, any other ideas?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-stormhawk-wp-boots?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAs6-sBhBmEiwA1Nl8s6VrA5fvtQFE_JJuOMqtyzcZic6oSIb6LxlCSE9HcKfF2HBEy820ChoC118QAvD_BwE

View attachment 205615
I was looking at something similar and I ended up in adventure boots.

Originally looked at these:

forma_adventure_low_boots_black_750x750.jpg

Ended up with these

forma_adventure_boots_black_750x750.jpg

Easy on and off, way easy to walk in.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, the Tech 7's I already have are pretty similar to the ones you got and they're great. The low adventure version you looked at is a good option for what I'm looking for though, so thanks. :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, the Tech 7's I already have are pretty similar to the ones you got and they're great. The low adventure version you looked at is a good option for what I'm looking for though, so thanks. :thumb:
The lows would probably work for me just fine but the full felt great and I got over boot pants now so I'm totally comfy.