Quantcast

Mount St. Helens...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Hey Everyone,

Evilbob was telling me the other day about his trip to Mount St. Helens, nice long amazing bike tripping adventure. This morning I heard on the radio that "there was news" about the mountain, but I arrived at work and couldn't listen further. A little exploring (not much), brought me to this article:

Quakes on Mount St. Helens

So....do tell :) Anyone previous have plans that are now cancelled for the big mountain? I've never gotten to see the acres of destruction from the last explosion....if these seismo-geeks are right, my next opportunity could be to see the destruction fresh ...all over again!

What do you think?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
dunno about the recent activity on the mountain other then there has been some. but if you take the same route up that mountian that some of us took last year, be prepared to pedal up and up and up and up.....

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Awesome trails all over not to mention amazing experience to see the area in person. I entend to go back next year again, unless it is still closed. Even though I broke my ankle on the Lewis River trail I can't wait to go back again. The whole weekend I was out there was the best. Ape Canyon, Windy Ridge, Smith Creek, Lewis River, Camping, actually seeing smoke/steam out of the dome area and the scale and vastness of destruction with my own eyes........perfect weather.

Oh and the ankle is out of confinement. Got the Cannondale dirty on Saturday (2.5 hours ride time). The ankle is weak so riding is slow and I walk over things I road over without thinking 6 weeks ago, but that was the deal with the Doc. I get to ride trails but no jumping or basing stuff for a month. As long as I get to ride I'm ok with his conditions. :thumb:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I think I want to ride the trails there from everything I've heard elsewhere and in posts above.
I also think I will wait it out until things simmer down around there.
I was in New Jersey the last time it go boom, but we got traces of ash in the air over there soon after...it was like a very thin haze.:eek:
I'd guess it may erupt again, but doubtful it would be as epic as the last one. At least for the sake of those in its wake.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
A group of us were going to head up this fall, but a number a things happened(breaking of bones) that put the plans on hold until probably next season....

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
This post makes it sound like it'll be a big event:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98162

Bu the offical site seem to be much more calm about it:
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/
Mount St. Helens Earthquake Swarm Update - September 24, 2004: Forest officials are in close contact with USGS and the University of Washington and will posted updates as needed. We have not received any information to suggest that we need to close the climbing route or trails in the vicinity of Mount St. Helens. We are notifying crater access permit holders that their permits are temporarily suspended pending additional information.

There is no immediate cause for concern beyond the normal awareness that earthquakes and small steam explosions and/or small debris flows are always a possibility in the crater of the volcano.

Mount St. Helens climbers and hikers need to be aware: The current earthquake swarm does not appear to have any deep earthquakes associated with the movement of new magma beneath the volcano.

However, it is similar to earthquake swarms that occurred in 1989-1991 when a number of sudden steam explosions occurred. Some of the explosions hurled rocks across the crater and melted snow causing small, rapidly moving mudflows that flowed onto the Pumice Plain (valley immediately north of the crater).

Information updates will be posted at the Climber's Register, located at Jack's Restaurant and Store and on the 24-hour climbing information line at (360) 449-7861 and website :

The USGS will continue to monitor the situation and will issue additional information statements as needed and the climbing information line and website will be updated.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
Wasnt Pierce Bronson part of the USGS in Dante's Peak? Look what happened in that movie. DESTRUCTION!!! OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Jherek.C

Chimp
Sep 9, 2004
Pierce Brosnan.

Pierce Bronson sounds like something rude and painful you do to the star of Death Wish. Which would be impossible, seeing as how he's dead.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
Jherek.C said:
Pierce Brosnan.

Pierce Bronson sounds like something rude and painful you do to the star of Death Wish. Which would be impossible, seeing as how he's dead.
What are you talking about? Are you thinking of a Lucky Pierre? Because that can be very gross, rude and painful.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
They say they closed down trails above the treeline, i'm curious if that means the Plains of Abraham are closed. That would suck since i want to ride there soon....
Hmmm wouldn't be the first time i rode a trail illegally. :evil:

But hey if trails are closed above the treeline then strapping a sapling to your helmet would exempt you from any wrongdoing... right?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Skookum said:
They say they closed down trails above the treeline, i'm curious if that means the Plains of Abraham are closed. That would suck since i want to ride there soon....
Hmmm wouldn't be the first time i rode a trail illegally. :evil:

But hey if trails are closed above the treeline then strapping a sapling to your helmet would exempt you from any wrongdoing... right?
Last I checked, it isn't illegal if you don't get caught.
I'd accept the sapling clause - nice loophole!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Skookum said:
LOL - I like it. :thumb:

Bummer because I really wanted to do a long epic up there now that I'm back in the PNW.

I remember it exploding the first time. I was in kindergarten and they wouldn't let us go outside for playbreaks because there was ash in the air. BASTARDS!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i really don't think Plains is closed, they just closed off the north hiking trails for fear of someone getting pelted by a chunk of "MAGMA" (Dr. Evil style there). There's still hope for a Mt. St. Helens Monkey Ride this year!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Snacks said:
Really? How are you feeling?
i feel good enough to hit it the weekend after next. :)
there's a possibility they could close down the area if activity starts up again. Everything is getting stronger and stronger each passing day for me now, i could be ready to go on the 9 or 10th of Oct.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
there's a possibility they could close down the area if activity starts up again. Everything is getting stronger and stronger each passing day for me now, i could be ready to go on the 9 or 10th of Oct.
Dang! We are totally free that weekend!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Snacks said:
Really? How are you feeling?
Wish I could go but the ankle is not up to that level/duration of climbing yet. Also the wife was not happy when I told her I would like to go back again soon. She said :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: ......so I must wait until next year :think: . If you haven't been there go, the place is awesome. :thumb:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Welp Dagnabbit, we'll just have to do it then! :p :)
We'll have to check on the status of the Mt. for sure. Kevin is concerned about it exploding durning the ride.

I don't know the area well enough to know where the trail is compared to the blasting area.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Skookum said:
Hhhmmmm... :think: :think: :think: The ankle should be real good by then the way things are going.... :sneaky: Supposed to get full release from the Doc no later than the 14th.......hhhmmmmm :think: I might be able to sneak St. Helens in .......Ape Canyon to Windy Ridge out and back is that what your planning?

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Snacks said:
We'll have to check on the status of the Mt. for sure. Kevin is concerned about it exploding durning the ride.

I don't know the area well enough to know where the trail is compared to the blasting area.
As you go across the Plains Of Abraham you can look right up at the crator rim. When your on Windy Ridge you can look right over the rim on I think the south east side and see a good portion of the dome itself. Pretty close but still out of the zone they are worried about right now.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
It's gonna blow.

you'll be goners. just make sure your have some type of recording device on while you run fron the hot ash. You'll be just as fanous as the last guy who did that.

On second thought. That guy is really not that famous since he really is only known as that one guy.

Well you get the point. Just make sure to record you're panting and commenting about the hot ash.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
brock said:
It's gonna blow.

you'll be goners. just make sure your have some type of recording device on while you run fron the hot ash. You'll be just as fanous as the last guy who did that.

On second thought. That guy is really not that famous since he really is only known as that one guy.

Well you get the point. Just make sure to record you're panting and commenting about the hot ash.
No doubt...a couple buddies and I were talking about "that one guy" yesterday and how that would be a freaked-out way to go.
Yeah, Tim - don't forget your camera!!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That one guy.

Haha Trailhacker can ride with the best of em, don't tell me he's afraid of a few little rocks, poisinous gas, and/or molten hot pyroclastic blasts.... :evil:

There's nothing to fear..... REALLY! :p

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
That's not him. Harry Truman is famous.

The guy I was talking about was a photographer or filmer or something who had (if I remember right) "ducked the ropes" to get good pictured of the mountain blowing. After it blew he was running from the ash and narrating his demise as he tried to outrun the hot ash.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
brock said:
That's not him. Harry Truman is famous.

The guy I was talking about was a photographer or filmer or something who had (if I remember right) "ducked the ropes" to get good pictured of the mountain blowing. After it blew he was running from the ash and narrating his demise as he tried to outrun the hot ash.
That was eerie the first time I heard that - I could only image there will be several to many "those guys" with the boom in technology between that time and now...based on the average 'mentality' of our locals.:rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
brock said:
oh that guy, i remember now. i'm pretty sure he didn't die. A photographer's camera was found, he got some great shots then died. But i'm pretty sure the guy who was choking got into a car and lived.
i supposed i could go to the IMAX film of it and find out for sure.... :p

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
"That makes us think we're not in a situation where, imminently, we could have a large, sustained, explosive eruption,"
Seattle Times

Ok i wanna go, if you're scared i would say stop being a ninny, but really unless a new report comes out telling me their closing down the whole area i'm not scared at all. at this point there isn't even anything burping out of the crater.....
So Saturday the 9th sound good for anyone who wants to go?
Have to have a forest pass to park at the trailhead.
Awesome views, not very technical at all but its like riding on the moon once you get to the top.
Have to get an EARLY start it's about a 4plus hour drive down there.
About a 5 hour ride probably at a leisurly pace, seperation not a big deal at the Plains you can see miles in every direction.
Let's get it dialed in people, i'm stoked it'll be my first real ride back from injury.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Skookum said:
oh that guy, i remember now. i'm pretty sure he didn't die. A photographer's camera was found, he got some great shots then died. But i'm pretty sure the guy who was choking got into a car and lived.
i supposed i could go to the IMAX film of it and find out for sure.... :p
That was cameraman David Crockett. You have to be pretty old to remember all that-at least 29 or so. Crockett said "I honest to god believe I'm dead". As I recall you couldnt see anything but the ash. Those were some fun times back then, but only a few of us have any memory of it. Most of the RMers werent born or were too young and the majority of the others lived in another state. Anyways I ran into Crockett a couple of times out in Issaquah so I kind of remember that. One other thing I remember about the blast all the kids put scrapbooks together covering the blast.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Skookum said:
Seattle Times

Ok i wanna go, if you're scared i would say stop being a ninny, but really unless a new report comes out telling me their closing down the whole area i'm not scared at all. at this point there isn't even anything burping out of the crater.....
Awesome views, not very technical at all but its like riding on the moon once you get to the top.
About a 5 hour ride probably at a leisurly pace, seperation not a big deal at the Plains you can see miles in every direction.
Let's get it dialed in people, i'm stoked it'll be my first real ride back from injury.
If you go down there you have to bring at least a fifth of whiskey per rider. Its tradition. When Harry Truman stayed up there he had his whiskey. I am not sure of the brand, but I think it was Old Kessler. I think he also mixed it with coke. Stop by the liquor store and get the Old Kessler. That way when the mountain blows you can grab the bottle and get at least a couple of good gulps in for the sake of tradition. I am sure Harry Truman did before he was buried under 100 feet of ash. :thumb:

Skookum said:
Seattle Times

I'm in.....I finally have a bike with more than ONE chainring!!!!

Keep me updated!!

PsychO! Mike

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
If this holds for a while there may be no riding across the Plains of Abraham, Ape Canyon, Windy Ridge and more...... :(

In the Seattle Times

"The Washington Department of Natural Resources closed to the public all of its lands within a 12-mile radius of the volcano, and pulled all of its staff and contractors out of the area. The agency also closed the Merrill Lake Campground. "

Full artical here

evilbob said:
If this holds for a while there may be no riding across the Plains of Abraham, Ape Canyon, Windy Ridge and more...... :(

In the Seattle Times

"The Washington Department of Natural Resources closed to the public all of its lands within a 12-mile radius of the volcano, and pulled all of its staff and contractors out of the area. The agency also closed the Merrill Lake Campground. "

Full artical here

Sooooo, there should be nobody to hassle us within 12 miles of the crater??? :evil:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
crap..... i guess we'll just have to keep watchin the news....
what better time to ride there than during an eruption? that'd be cool dodgin all that hot rock and ash. :evil: